July 6, 1971

brownie

I clearly remember standing at a tramway station on my way home from a friend of my parents who'd helped me with my maths homework (I was 11 at the time) and reading the obit on Louis Armstrong in the newspaper display next to the waiting room beside the tracks. The name rang a bell as my parents (though totally disinclined jazz-wise) had 45s like his "Uncle Satchmo's Lullaby" and "What A Wonderful World" (what else, at that time, as a MOR buyer? ;)) that were spun occasionally, and I also remember my mother voicing her regret at his death. So it stuck in my kid's mind that somebody important had passed that day.

It wasn't until a couple of years later (from the age of 14-15 when I began listening to jazz radio programs and buying records) that I really was able to CONSCIOUSLY cut my teeth into some more "meaty" works of his, and though I've never been that big an Armstrong fan I see him as a seminal person in every espect.

I was walking down the street with Benny Harris trying to keep him from drinking.

We read a newspaper headline and I gave up. Benny is crying and telling me about the first time he saw Louis.

My memory is bad but I think he was telling me Louis was King of the Zooloos (sp?) and was on a horse. Benny got to talk to him. He was a child at the time.

Realize my english needs to be improved :blink:

Things will be easier when O. starts a French version!

Like this??

http://www.worldlingo.com/wl/services/SYls3jUpdI3J0LCxsBG6Z17KELEeYXPiCsZbrxpDzkcM-/translation?wl_srclang=EN&wl_trglang=FR&wl_rurl=http%3A%2F%2Forganissimo.org%2Fforum%2F&wl_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.organissimo.org%2Fforum%2F

:smirk:

Top section translated only as this online web site translator has a size limit.

But this should do for a starter. ;)

One I like particularly is the "Appel brun de téléphone Clifford"!! :rofl:

And who is "L'écheveau Mobley"? :D

Sorry, really sorry for the Off-Topic excursion ...

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Without argument, the greatest jazz artists of all time. Despite the poor fidelity, his Hot Five and Hot Seven recording let you know he was a master on the trumpet.

louis-armstrong.jpg

I wouldn't call the Hot Five sides "poor fidelity." The Okehs were actually quite good. Oliver's Gennett sides and just about anything on early Paramount is quite a different matter. We

are fortunate that much of Louis' early work was captured as well as it was.

Thanks for posting the videos, Guy.

Without argument, the greatest jazz artists of all time. Despite the poor fidelity, his Hot Five and Hot Seven recording let you know he was a master on the trumpet.

No one has ever surpassed his stop-time chorus on "Potato Head Blues" by the Hot Seven IMHO.