They Say It's Your Birthday

Dave James

I don't want to seem petulant, insecure, childish or unappreciative (all of which I am) but is there anyone else out there who could live without the annual board-certified birthday announcements? Do I wish those who are having a birthday a happy one? Of course I do. Do I need to post a message once a year acknowledging this to be the case or would not doing so somehow indicate that I, for whatever reason, had begun whistling a different tune? Of course not. So, I'm throwing this thought up against the wall for purposes of assessing its sticking power. To determine if such a suggestion is just too curmudgeonly Scrooge-like to even consider. Any thoughts?

I don't want to seem petulant, insecure, childish or unappreciative (all of which I am) but is there anyone else out there who could live without the annual board-certified birthday announcements? Do I wish those who are having a birthday a happy one? Of course I do. Do I need to post a message once a year acknowledging this to be the case or would not doing so somehow indicate that I, for whatever reason, had begun whistling a different tune? Of course not. So, I'm throwing this thought up against the wall for purposes of assessing its sticking power. To determine if such a suggestion is just too curmudgeonly Scrooge-like to even consider. Any thoughts?

Considering the amount of hot air and excess verbiage that occupies so much of the action around here, I think the birthday wishes are a nice touch.

Why is it that the guys who are the most petulant, insecure, childish or unappreciative are the ones who are the most likely to insist that they don't want to be that way? ;)

Edited by Stereojack

I just figure people have a birthday once a year. What does it hurt to acknowledge that and pass on well wishes. There are a lot of less worthwhile things posted here - at least imo. Why single out birthdays?

+1

Nobody forces you to display your birthday to be celebrated and nobody will think ill of you if you don't aknowledge them, live and let live

I can't be the only one who maintains a spreadsheet listing those who have wished me a happy birthday since 2003, to keep tabs on who always posts birthday greetings, who skipped a year, who has dropped out completely (f-ck 'em) etc.

Can I?

:P

I just figure people have a birthday once a year. What does it hurt to acknowledge that and pass on well wishes. There are a lot of less worthwhile things posted here - at least imo. Why single out birthdays?

+1

Nobody forces you to display your birthday to be celebrated and nobody will think ill of you if you don't aknowledge them, live and let live

+2

I'm new here and don't really know anyone yet, but I think it's "friendly" and gives this board a sense of community others don't have. Sometimes participants here bicker a bit, but y'all seem like a group I would like to be part of.

(Grammarians, check out that sentence-ending preposition.)

I can't be the only one who maintains a spreadsheet listing those who have wished me a happy birthday since 2003, to keep tabs on who always posts birthday greetings, who skipped a year, who has dropped out completely (f-ck 'em) etc.

Can I?

:P

Happy birthday Dan :w

Right! Let's all wish Dan a Happy Birthday, and make him blow the weekend updating his spreadsheet!:D