*The Genre-Film & TV Corner*

Til the last two, I really never liked Bond films. I read the books before I saw any of the movies (read the books when I was in Africa, and never saw any of the movies til a number of years after I returned) and the movies never seemed to capture my experience with the books, they just seemed corny and way too hip. The most recent two are at least a bit more like the books, to me.

Watched this again today, such an over the top "give them what they want to see" movie.

Machete-bluray.png

Image isn't showing up for some reason...

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always looked on Roger Moore as a waggish joke and could n't take him seriously. He probably got the role on the strength of 'The Saint' series, a role that suited him very well.

For some reason Sean Connery has been elevated to the ultimate Bond. I suspect he finds this amusing and ironic, I know he wanted very much to escape the Bond stereotype. I must say that, for me at least, Daniel Craig is head and shoulders above all the competition as the definitive Bond, and the only one to be taken seriously.

Roger Moore was the first Bond I ever saw with Live And Let Die so at first, he was the standard to judge other Bonds by. As I grew older and more discerning, Moore fell out of favor for Sean Connery and then he in turn, with the new movies, Daniel Craig. Craig is my favorite Bond, a good distance ahead of Connery. In my book, the rest are pretty much also-rans. I'm not especially a fan of re-makes (hard to avoid at this point in the Bond canon) but I wouldn't mind seeing Craig in a reboot of Live And Let Die.

I'm looking forward to seeing 50/50, but I've been working so much recently that it will probably have to wait until it shows up on blu-ray.

Last night I watched the new TV show "GRIMM" from David Greenwalt (Angel, Buffy). Very entertaining, real nice creepy vibe...not sure about the lead actor, he's a little flat in the pilot, but I enjoyed the rest.

grimm_32020.jpg

The-Adjustment-Bureau.jpg

Second viewing of this one, I still really like the vibe of this movie. It feels just right.

I tend to agree; very fun movie. The ending is easy to ignore.

50/50

50-50.jpg

50-50-1-522x360.jpg

well made, sweet-hearted dramedy. nothing to write home about, but totally enjoyable and worth being made for sure. solid entertainment with a lot of heart.

Yes. Well-written, well-acted. Won't set the world on fire, maybe, but worth a view for sure.

Roger Moore was the first Bond I ever saw with Live And Let Die so at first, he was the standard to judge other Bonds by. As I grew older and more discerning, Moore fell out of favor for Sean Connery and then he in turn, with the new movies, Daniel Craig. Craig is my favorite Bond, a good distance ahead of Connery. In my book, the rest are pretty much also-rans. I'm not especially a fan of re-makes (hard to avoid at this point in the Bond canon) but I wouldn't mind seeing Craig in a reboot of Live And Let Die.

It all comes down to taste, but I loathe reboots and will never accept Craig and this new gritty Bond. Won't watch another one as long as they continue in this vein. No skin off my nose (or theirs I'm sure).

For that matter, I certainly won't be watching the reboot of Superman or Spiderman.

As the guys in Freakonomics put it, only put your money on things you want to see more of and withhold it from things you want to see less of. I don't want remakes and reboots (and generally not even sequels though there are honorable exceptions), so they just won't get my dosh.

Edited by ejp626

Mary-Elizabeth-Winstead-in-The-Thing-2011-Movie-Image-2-600x400.jpg

THE THING (2011)

The third variation on John W. Campbell's "Who Goes There?" is a love letter to the 1981 Carpenter film, functioning essentially as both prequel and reinvention. Surprisingly entertaining film is more "creature feature" than Carpenter's suspense based version. The ending feels a little disjointed but overall it's a fun little horror/sci-fi mashup with impressive effects.

Haven't seen the new one yet, but I've always thought Carpenter's 1982 version to be a much underrated film. Sure, it has it's share of gloppiness for the sake of gloppiness, but it is still one of the most atmospheric films I've ever seen. The tension Carpenter creates is almost palpable. And the last scene with Kurt Russell and Keith David (the same Keith David who narrates several of Ken Burns' documentaries) is as desolate and bleak as anything I can recall.

I also really like the 1951 version, The Thing From Another World, but it bears very little resemblance to the Campbell novel upon which the series is based.

John Carpenter's The Thing (1982) is easily one of my favorite movies of all-time. Suspense is the name of the game and I think Hitchcock would have approved with Carpenter's handling of the genre. Pretty much every element works in that film, cinematography, score, acting, direction, editing, etc. It was unfairly ignored at the time of release (because it opened the same week as E.T.), but later grew to cult classic status and I think is now widely hailed by critics as well.

I'm sure I've seen it more than 10 times and will surely watch it again.

51jMawbQyNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ATTACK THE BLOCK. This little independent British film is a GEM! Best sci-fi action/comedy that I've seen for a long while, it starts immediately and never lets up. The alien critters are simple in design but very effective. I can definitely see myself watching this again, it's a hoot!

51jMawbQyNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ATTACK THE BLOCK. This little independent British film is a GEM! Best sci-fi action/comedy that I've seen for a long while, it starts immediately and never lets up. The alien critters are simple in design but very effective. I can definitely see myself watching this again, it's a hoot!

Have just added it to my rental list.

• 1 month later...

Anybody ever a short film called Treevenge ?

It's about a bunch of trees who get shopped down by a bunch of men looking to sell them for the Christmas season , concentration camp analogies are plenty, however when the trees finally end up in their final destination they endu p attacking the families who humiliated even more by putting ornaments on them and made them watch their celebrations.

.http://www.treevenge.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

i've recently gotten a new (small) flat screen tv and a digital tuner. i get only a handful of stations ('bout 5-6) but after being totally without any tv for the last 5 years, it's retty cool. 30 Rock is fucking hilarious :tup

Yeah, I really like 30 Rock. My favorite comedy series of the past 20 years is "That 70's Show" which I never watched while it was on, but caught up with via Netflix, one of the most consistently funny shows.

I didn't watch any television from about 1995 until 2008, then Jazzbo got me hooked on Lost and I started exploring TV again. It's been fun catching up with series that came out during that time frame.