*The Genre-Film & TV Corner*

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no complaints with the film and I plan on going to see it again in the theater. I don't come to these movies from a comic background (I've never even seen an Avengers comic), so I judge comic books movies on how well they operate as films. The Avengers is one of those rare movies that can appeal to fanboys and the general public in equal measure...something that's very hard to achieve, thus I feel the movie deserves all the praise it's getting.

Whedon's sense of humor fits my own perfectly, something about the way he writes resonates with me and makes me wish I had his talent. The Avengers shows what can happen when just as much attention is paid to the characters and the script as the special effects sequences. That's what sets it apart from mind-sucking abominations like the Transformers movies. It's a quality measuring stick that future CGI-laden blockbusters can be compared against.

Whedon's next film is a modern re-telling of Shakespeare's "Much Ado About Nothing", I'm really looking forward to seeing how he handles that!

I think the movie was a shade too long and I think they could have re-written the Thor-Iron Man-Cap fight or left it out altogether, just seemed unnecessary squabbling, and there was plenty of bickering later.

I'm fine with Whedon, think he has a sort of television writing genius, I just don't like the vampire-demon-monster genre that he has transformed for more than half his output. Still, he did a great job, both writing AND directing, Avengers. And Shawn, you have plenty of your own talent, and I hope it can flower soon.

I wish the Fantastic Four franchise hadn't phased out and away. This plot would have worked fabulously as a Fantastic Four movie, with the Baxter Building and all Reed Richards' gadgets replacing the Helicarrier. . . .And I would have loved to see how Josh handled that team.

Edited by jazzbo

The Avengers is one of those rare movies that can appeal to fanboys and the general public in equal measure...something that's very hard to achieve, thus I feel the movie deserves all the praise it's getting.

Well, I'll bow to your opinion then, as I do come from a comic background, and thought the movie was an awesome capturing of the early Avengers feel. I was afraid that those who weren't fanboys (or, in my case, former fanboys) wouldn't care for it. I thought the movie was a bit tedious in spots, but just in spots.

Strange thing is, I left the theater thankful that we don't have such people in real life more so than when I left after The Watchmen.

• 2 weeks later...

The-Raid-Redemption-Movie-Poster--280x416.jpg

Saw this this afternoon at my local multiplex after reading an encouraging review. OK if you like the eastern martial arts genre, but not my sort of thing.

Been curious about that one, I'm not a big martial arts fan, but occasionally I get in the mood for it.

Did you ever check out "Attack The Block"?

The-Raid-Redemption-Movie-Poster--280x416.jpg

Saw this this afternoon at my local multiplex after reading an encouraging review. OK if you like the eastern martial arts genre, but not my sort of thing.

Been curious about that one, I'm not a big martial arts fan, but occasionally I get in the mood for it.

Did you ever check out "Attack The Block"?

It's on my rental list. Have now moved it up to High Priority. :smirk:

• 2 weeks later...

watching this again for the first time since it originally aired:

TwinPeaks7.jpg

TwinPeaks6.jpg

TwinPeaks5.jpg

TwinPeaks11.jpg

TwinPeaks12.jpg

it completely blew my mind when i saw it back in the day, and i'm enjoying it almost as much now as i did then. but it's different than i remember. i've gone through 'bout the first 8 episodes or so (including the pilot of course) and it definitely has the regular "Lynchian" vibe going on that i remember feeling when it first aired. but i'm seeing other stuff i wasn't ready for or couldn't detect when i was younger. there's a huge "camp" element in there and a lot of comedy. also, there's a lot of staging/plot/dialogue/technical stuff that is very daytime soap. i feel like i'm returning to the first (only?) television avant-garde comedy/horror/soap mini-series. good stuff...

Edited by thedwork

I watched that series this year as well, pretty much for the first time, because I watched very little of it when it originally aired, and none that I know of since. I found it fascinating. Falls apart somewhat near the end but a great ride. Soon I'll have to watch "Fire Walk with Me."

TwinPeaks7.jpg

i've gone through 'bout the first 8 episodes or so (including the pilot of course) and it definitely has the regular "Lynchian" vibe going on that i remember feeling when it first aired. but i'm seeing other stuff i wasn't ready for or couldn't detect when i was younger. there's a huge "camp" element in there and a lot of comedy. also, there's a lot of staging/plot/dialogue/technical stuff that is very daytime soap. i feel like i'm returning to the first (only?) television avant-garde comedy/horror/soap mini-series. good stuff...

I went through the same experience a few years ago. I'm fairly sure it was a mention here about the Gold Box being on sale that made me revisit it. I too hadn't seen it since it aired, and I had never seen most of the second season as I bailed on it thinking it was getting too silly. I ended up absolutely loving the the second season (and the 1st too of course). I agree with everything you say above, especially about the soap opera look at times. Which I suppose means I've had some experience with them to know what that looks like... :w

TwinPeaks7.jpg

i've gone through 'bout the first 8 episodes or so (including the pilot of course) and it definitely has the regular "Lynchian" vibe going on that i remember feeling when it first aired. but i'm seeing other stuff i wasn't ready for or couldn't detect when i was younger. there's a huge "camp" element in there and a lot of comedy. also, there's a lot of staging/plot/dialogue/technical stuff that is very daytime soap. i feel like i'm returning to the first (only?) television avant-garde comedy/horror/soap mini-series. good stuff...

I went through the same experience a few years ago. I'm fairly sure it was a mention here about the Gold Box being on sale that made me revisit it. I too hadn't seen it since it aired, and I had never seen most of the second season as I bailed on it thinking it was getting too silly. I ended up absolutely loving the the second season (and the 1st too of course). I agree with everything you say above, especially about the soap opera look at times. Which I suppose means I've had some experience with them to know what that looks like... :w

:tup :tup :w:rofl:

I actually saw the film 'Fire Walk With Me" prior to seeing the series, in hindsight not the best choice.

i actually haven't seen Fire Walk With Me yet!

Edited by thedwork

TwinPeaks7.jpg

Did the same thing a couple of years ago. Got tired of it before the end of the series, but a great experience all the same. :tup

Now trying to get psyched up to watch Inland Empire again.

My wife and I enjoyed Twin Peaks when it originally aired and considered it "must see TV". Recently we decided to watch it again after all these years via Netflix. It didn't really age well for us. I think we only made it to the 2nd disc and lost interest.

Edited by mikelz777

• 4 weeks later...

4155BQ56YBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

As so often with sequels, not of the quality of Alien. Switch of director from Ridley Scott to James Cameron may have had something to do with this.

Still quite a good movie, just a completely different style. I preferred the suspense/horror of the original to the straight up action of Aliens...yet still, for its type, a pretty impressive film that once it gets going doesn't stop for a second.

• 2 weeks later...