*The Genre-Film & TV Corner*

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can dig it too. I really enjoyed the movie, but can see why someone wouldn't. I mean it's Captain America. Been around nearly seventy years. Created in a different time. I thought the tone was just right myself, but if the tone weren't just right for someone, I think it would be a bore.

Rise Of The Planet Of the Apes - Rupert Wyatt (2011)

2011_rise_of_the_planet_of_the_apes-wide-490x306.jpg

Spartacus !

I knew the film had overwhelmed my doubts when I started rooting for the chimps.

I could criticize the casting but the humans hardly matter, it's all about the apes.

Well done, a great popcorn movie and when is the sequel coming out ?

just got through watching this series over the last few weeks:

mad-men_amc.jpg

i must say i've been enjoying it quite a bit. but i can't make up my mind whether i see it as a "guilty pleasure" or a great series nearly on the level of The Sopranos and the like... either way, it's compulsively watchable (imagine popcorn eating emoticon here).

Edited by thedwork

I need to give that show another shot. I tried it awhile back but really wasn't in the right frame of mind for it. I might enjoy it more now.

you probably already know to do this, but if you do go back and check it out again definitely start from the beginning. it's very 'serial' and the direction is in no way dumbed down. in other words, if you don't know characters' backstory (and there's plenty all 'round), you'll be missing out.

fright-night-clips.jpg

fright-night-2011-20110708103853507-510x339.jpg

if you're in the mood for an over-the-top, kitsch, campy, horror/comedy, i'd say you could do a lot worse. i enjoyed this thoroughly. i went to see this mainly on the strength of toni collette (love her!!!). i wish there was more of her in this but i take what i can get. and say what you want about farrell, but if you've seen In Bruges (as well as others) you know he's a terrific actor and he had a good time slummin' it up in this B-Movie style horror-fest. and you gotta admit those eyebrows suit the vampire character perfectly. no need to hire an expert eyebrow make-up guy! hilariously cliched good times...

Edited by thedwork

fright-night-clips.jpg

fright-night-2011-20110708103853507-510x339.jpg

if you're in the mood for an over-the-top, kitsch, campy, horror/comedy, i'd say you could do a lot worse. i enjoyed this thoroughly. i went to see this mainly on the strength of toni collette (love her!!!). i wish there was more of her in this but i take what i can get. and say what you want about farrell, but if you've seen In Bruges (as well as others) you know he's a terrific actor and he had a good time slummin' it up in this B-Movie style horror-fest. and you gotta admit those eyebrows suit the vampire character perfectly. no need to hire an expert eyebrow make-up guy! hilariously cliched good times...

That's the 'Fright Night' remake, right? I saw the original (recommended) and was hoping this one would be good.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be seeing Drive soon. Looking forward to "Ides of March" next month as well.

That's the 'Fright Night' remake, right? I saw the original (recommended) and was hoping this one would be good.

I hate remakes of favorites.

I feel much the same way. If a certain film was particularly satisfying to me, then the very idea of a remake nauseates me.

I'm also looking forward to "Ides of March," Jazzbo. Gosling suddenly seems to be ubiquitous.

Edited by BruceH

51OQD0PF%2BcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

X-Men First Class - Very enjoyable film, total popcorn movie. The relationship between Xavier and Rose Byrne's character should have been explored further...and they could have lessened the plot thread about the serum to make themselves appear normal. But all in all I liked it.