Live shows to avoid.

You gotta love this quote:

Usually, when artists are left to do what they do best, the results are better than what happens when they’re told what to do,” he says. “That doesn’t mean there can’t or shouldn’t be some sense of collaboration with producers and A&R people, but in the end, the choices and the decisions should be mine. It’s the artist’s job to be true to the integrity of his art. If he is, then things always work out well.

Musical hubris? Either that or someone's been left in a room by themselves for way too long.

James Black.

Thanks, Jim.

I did a little research and found that the JLO tribute to James Black occurred on May 29, 2003. I've searched high and low for a video documentation of this concert without success. Anyone have any idea if anything like this exists and, if so, how one might go about procuring it? As usual, thanks for the help.

• 3 weeks later...

James Black.

Thanks, Jim.

I did a little research and found that the JLO tribute to James Black occurred on May 29, 2003. I've searched high and low for a video documentation of this concert without success. Anyone have any idea if anything like this exists and, if so, how one might go about procuring it? As usual, thanks for the help.

I don't know about the JALC concert being archived, but a Marsalis family all-James Black concert ran on PBS a few years back. Should be obtainable. Black was a drummer and a contemporary of patriarch Ellis, and indeed a distincive composer. The concert is worth having. They did a good job.

James Black.

Thanks, Jim.

I don't know about the JALC concert being archived, but a Marsalis family all-James Black concert ran on PBS a few years back. Should be obtainable. Black was a drummer and a contemporary of patriarch Ellis, and indeed a distincive composer. The concert is worth having. They did a good job.

Joel - Yes, that's the one. Great concert and extremely interesting music. I've looked on the PBS website, but I can't find anything. Guess I'll just keep poking around and see if I get lucky. Here's a brief bio followed by a piece I found on AAJ about the concert itself.

http://www.fogworld.com/jamesblack/

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=2668

Edited by Dave James

James Black.

Thanks, Jim.

Joel - Yes, that's the one. Great concert and extremely interesting music. I've looked on the PBS website, but I can't find anything. Guess I'll just keep poking around and see if I get lucky. Here's a brief bio followed by a piece I found on AAJ about the concert itself.

Yes, I dug it a lot. He's a quirky writer, lots of thought, personality and sort of nice compositional knots. It swung, too, including one piece in 5/4. The band did him justice, too. You could hear the respect.

Before losing hope try this: The Museum of Television and Radio. There are two, one in L.A. and one here in N.Y. They will lend material that's archived---if you tell them it's for research ;) . Obviously they have to own it. Or else if you're in either cities you can visit and look it up in the library. They have quite a collection. The last time I drove by the N.Y. building it was renamed, but after someone in the industry. I think it's still a television museum. At least I hope it is.

There's also the Institute of Jazz Studies at Rutgers. The staff, right up to Dan Morgenstern, are crackerjack and would love to help. Dan was great when I had a research project. If they don't own it they will tell you who does and how you might borrow it or even get your own copy.

Short of those try researching it at a university library (maybe one known for a jazz collection?) or research library in your town. Librarians love the hunt and conquest of the find. If they do track it down you could get it by interlibrary loan.

Good luck.

James Black.

Thanks, Jim.

Yes, I dug it a lot. He's a quirky writer, lots of thought, personality and sort of nice compositional knots. It swung, too, including one piece in 5/4. The band did him justice, too. You could hear the respect.

Before losing hope try this: The Museum of Television and Radio. There are two, one in L.A. and one here in N.Y. They will lend material that's archived---if you tell them it's for research ;) . Obviously they have to own it. Or else if you're in either cities you can visit and look it up in the library. They have quite a collection. The last time I drove by the N.Y. building it was renamed, but after someone in the industry. I think it's still a television museum. At least I hope it is.

There's also the Institute of Jazz Studies at Rutgers. The staff, right up to Dan Morgenstern, are crackerjack and would love to help. Dan was great when I had a research project. If they don't own it they will tell you who does and how you might borrow it or even get your own copy.

Short of those try researching it at a university library (maybe one known for a jazz collection?) or research library in your town. Librarians love the hunt and conquest of the find. If they do track it down you could get it by interlibrary loan.

Good luck.

Thanks for the insights, Joel. If I stumble on anything, I'll let you know. You'll be the first to get a copy if I have any luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I know why the G man sounds so hip. It's growing up in the inner city of Seattle that did it. :bwallace:

In many respects, where it took him was back to the beginning – the R&B of the early and mid-1970s that Kenny soaked up during his teen years at an inner-city Seattle high school, where he mixed with a culturally diverse student body at a young age. Inspired by the likes of Earth, Wind & Fire and Grover Washington Jr., he was only 17 when he landed a gig with Barry White and his Love Unlimited Orchestra at the Paramount Northwest Theater (now the Paramount Theater) in 1973.