Godfather 1 or Godfather 2?

Godfather 1 or Godfather 2?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tough call, but I've gotta go with the original. More Brando and more Sonny make it the winner by a nose. This may sound weird, but the first one is way more "up" than the second. Godfather II is one of the darkest movies I've ever seen. The closing shot in II with Michael sitting by himself on the lawn of the Vegas compound is one of the very bleakest I can recall. Not a word is said, but volumes are spoken.

i voted both equally, but boy it's been a long time since i've seen 'em. i'll have to watch 'em again soon.

personally, my favorite mob movie is easily GoodFellas.

Both films are highly entertaining, but I voted for The Godfather.

Not sure about "best sequel", I'd probably pick Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan for best overall sequel. smile.gif

my favorite sequel, so far, is Before Sunset :):tup

Edited by thedwork

I tend to look upon the two films as one unit - the ongoing story of the Corleone family, presented in two parts. Years ago, the films were resequenced in chronological order for a network showing, and they also worked well that way.

The less said about Godfather III, the better. :bad:

I've seen 'em both lots of times (annual cable TV "Godfather" marathons), to the point where I've gotten a bit sick of Mafia flicks.

I like II a lot more, but it's just personal taste and the original is certainly excellent. I guess I find the sequel much more wide-ranging and sweeping, with Michael's life following a sort of tragic trajectory. The original may be stronger photographically, but it seems more a straightforward narrative (especially since I read the book before the film was made) and less complex.

[Added] Though I prefer the sequel, I want to stress that the original is a classic film. IMO the "Sicilian Vespers" sequence, where Michael's godson's baptism is overlaid with rubouts of all Michael's rivals ("Michael Corleone, do you renounce Satan?") is one of the greatest in cinema.

Edited by T.D.

I look on them as one film. 2 is stylistically different and wider in scope but I find it hard to pick one as a favourite.

The Godfather Saga was very interesting. Both parts were edited together including all the additional footage. I actually had a VHS copy of the Saga but somehow lost it.

• 8 months later...