The Cookers in DC

mr jazz

I'll be there, come hell or high water (or even earthquakes). Might even go both nights, which is really tempting. :excited:

Although, I'm guessing there are two separate seatings (shows) per night? I've never been to the Caverns before -- do they clear the room between sets? (I was able to stay for both sets at Twins Jazz, without a second fee the one time I heard something there.) At the Caverns, do they let people stay for both sets -- or at least have any discount for buying tix for both sets in the same night?

(Much as I'd really like to catch both nights, every set -- I'm suddenly doing the math, and not sure I can drop $140 for 4 sets.)

Most of the time you can stay two sets, but when it's a 'major' artist, they do sometimes clear the room, or at least make you pay another $5 or $10.

This may be packed, maybe not. That's what will determine whether we can stay another set. DC is a weird town.

Bertrand.

Most of the time you can stay two sets, but when it's a 'major' artist, they do sometimes clear the room, or at least make you pay another $5 or $10.

Another $5 or $10 I can afford -- whereas a "whole 'nother" $35 for the 2nd set is a "whole 'nother" story.

I'll try and make both nights, if at all possible.

I'll be going on Friday. Saturday is the Yardbirds at Montgomery College.

Bertrand.

Is anyone from the original Yardbirds left other than the bassist and drummer?

The current lineup includes McCarty(d) and Dreja(g). They've put out a few albums recently that aren't half-bad, surprisingly enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Who was having more fun? The musicians or the audience? Hard to say but there's no doubt this band lived up to their name putting on a bop clinic with each member showcasing their considerable proficiency on their particular instrument. To me, the winner by a slim margin was Billy Hart with his propulsive percussion pushing the band to peak after explosive peak but, again, everyone was at their best-kudos to Billy Harper. I saw both sets Saturday night and that was a good thing as the two shows were completely different material wise. Bohemian Caverns is a great jazz room period with a wonderful vibe.

Glad to hear that it was a great night. Had hoped to make it Friday but other things intervened. I recall that George Cables had health issues awhile ago (maybe a couple of years ago by now). Glad that he's back in it with a great ensemble.

I did manage to get to Bohemian Caverns the following night (Sunday) for Jason Moran and Bandwagon. Jason was in town early for Thelonious Monk Institute competition I guess. They were great, playing a lot of material from Ten, which is an album that I greatly enjoy. It was my first visit to the BC and I learned some things, mainly don't order food there. Despite persistent reminders, wife's entree arrived about 1 hour after mine did. Not good when you'd like to convince the beloved to stay for a second set on a worknight. Fortunately they took it off our bill. [...next time Ben's Chili Bowl or something else nearby!] There also was lack of clarity on paying for the second set. Our server said to some other patrons that the second set would largely be the same music as the first. WTF!?! Guess she wanted new blood in those seats ordering lots of food/drinks. She also said that the emcee would make an announcement about this (depending, obviously, on how many new folks showed up for the 9pm set). That didn't happen, but we did stay for the second set (which, as one might expect, included no overlapping material). As we left the club, Jason was standing by the doorway. I asked him if it was just happenstance that he was performing in DC on 9/11 two years in a row. [Last year he performed at the Rosslyn Jazz Fest on a bill that included Bad Plus and Tierney Sutton.] He had not realized this, smiled, and indicated that it was coincidence.

Edited by Patrick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Caught the first set of the Cookers at the Kennedy Center last night, and spoke to David for a few minutes afterward. Victor Lewis subbed for Billy Hart who had other commitments. They played Capra Black, Sweet Rita Suite Part 2, Croquet Ballet, Temptations (new composition by Cecil McBee), perhaps another tune, and closed with The Core. Great ensemble playing by a bunch of all-stars.

They are headed to Europe (details at David's website) for a few weeks before hitting the studio.