Julie London

Bright Moments

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Okay. thanks--I was hazy about Quoboz as I don't do downloads either. I bet you don't encounter that choice too often.

Oh, there's lots of stuff on there that is very hard to find on LP or CD.  It is worth looking.  While I prefer the physical object, this is the next best thing.  

Thanks, but I don't listen to music on my computer and at the moment I don't have a way to move music from my computer--no usb connection etc. on my MacBook. I really have found all the things that I need to have so far on disc without paying 50 dollar prices. And as I have half my music in a storage unit, one could argue I don't need to find many more.

Good, we fell into that trap when we moved our deceased mother-in-law's stuff down here. Thought we'd get it all sorted out in six months or so, ended up taken 3+ years, as when we got rid of some of her stuff, we'd put that much or more of our won back in there, and oh, by the way - we got a great introductory rate that was good for about 6 months, but then the creep up began...i'd advise anybody who does this to get in only as needed and to get back out ASAP. Otherwise...$$$$

I know the expense. I've budgeted it for years. Moving into a smaller house in the country from the house I had in Austin has its repercussions. But since I have also saved a helluva lot on mortgage payments, taxes and bills, I have still come out ahead with a climate controlled storage unit and still get to keep my collections if not immediately at hand.

The concept of keeping ones music in a storage unit seems very strange to me. Doesn't it make it very awkward for listening. When you want to hear a particular recording that is not in the home don't you have to got to the storage unit to get it? Or every so often to you take a number of recordings out and put other in the storage unit in their place?

I'm sorry it seems strange to you. It's just an arrangement I have to have at least for the foreseeable future, and for the last six years it has been manageable. 

The storage unit is about 45 minutes away, near my father who is 55 minutes away. As I travel to see him a few times a week it's not inconvenient for me to stop in at the storage unit and either drop off music from home, pick up music from storage, or both. 

In general because I have over 20,000 cds at home and about 700 LPs, and I have about 10,000 cds in storage, I don't struggle to find things to listen to. And I can waith a few days to a week to hear something if it is not handy here. 

I also have about 1,000 books and about 18 instruments in storage.

In all honesty I can do without a lot of these recordings and in time will (in 2020 I got rid of about 1,000 discs, but that's just the beginning of a far bigger project that I will probably begin undertaking when I no longer can visit my father--he's been in hospice for four months and that situation won't last forever). I'm enjoying having a large archive while I may.

For a spell the situation continued because Lucy and I were unsure of whether we were going to stay in this tiny expanded cottage in the woods we have or move to a larger place. But in the last few years we realize we just love being out in nature and our little 103 year home and have decided to stay here. In time we may expand and build a garage and a storage space so it's a matter of when that may become feasible that determines the fate of my collections. . . 

Edited by jazzbo