Julie London

Bright Moments

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I received the latest Collector's Choice catalogue this week. By coincidence, it mentions that her last Liberty album (Did she record something later?) was Yummy, Yummy in 1969. It was made up of current pop hits, and it looks like it's dreadful.

Evidently the re-issue has sold quite well, however, according to a friend of mine who sometimes does liner notes for the label. This evinced an interesting discussion of how the nostalgia market is changing--how, as more and more of the original audience dies off, albums like YUMMY, YUMMY which do indeed seem dreadful upon first glance (or maybe on first listen--don't know, haven't heard it) may appeal to a younger audience in weird and/or kitschy ways.

If that's the case, then the Mel Torme cover of "The Ballad Of Bonnie & Clyde" (another Liberty release, IIRC) is gonna be a HUGE smash, what with the sound of a rotary dial telephone replacing the gunfire of Georgie Fame's original...

interesting about her marriage to Webb - because I have another related story. There was a great bassist who spent years playing in Los Vegas and who was working in NYC in the 1980s (and it's killing me because he was a brilliant player, sounded a bit like Milt Hinton, but I can't remember his name right now!) - he said that the reason Cry Me a River was so effective, such a hit, was that London was practically crying during the recording session from her breakup with Webb -

Edited by AllenLowe

Anyone remember her in "The Girl Can't Help It"? (I think Bobby Troupe might have written the title tune-- even thogh Little Richard sings it).

I do! Outstanding film by Frank Tashlin (with the superb Jayne Mansfield). Julie London's singing (plus Barney Kessel's guitar accompaniement) of 'Cry Me a River' made a fan out of me!

• 9 months later...
  • 4 years later...

A whole lotta Julie London re-issues coming down the pike in June. I don't own a single cd of hers -- so if we're looking for small group (no strings...well, minimal strings anyway) sessions, which one(s) might I want to check out?

TOCJ 9661 London,Julie(vo)/Julie Is Her Name Vol.1* 1800

TOCJ 9662 London,Julie(vo)/Lonely Girl* 1800

TOCJ 9663 London,Julie(vo)/Calendar Girl* 1800

TOCJ 9664 London,Julie(vo)/About The Blues* 1800

TOCJ 9665 London,Julie(vo)/Make Love To Me* 1800

TOCJ 9666 London,Julie(vo)/Julie* 1800

TOCJ 9667 London,Julie(vo)/Julie Is Her Name Vol.2* 1800

TOCJ 9668 London,Julie(vo)/London By Night* 1800

TOCJ 9669 London,Julie(vo)/Swing Me An Old Song* 1800

TOCJ 9670 London,Julie(vo)/Your Number Please* 1800

TOCJ 9671 London,Julie(vo)/Julie At Home * 1800

TOCJ 9672 London,Julie(vo)/Around Midnight * 1800

TOCJ 9673 London,Julie(vo)/Send For Me* 1800

TOCJ 9674 London,Julie(vo)/Whatever Julie Wants* 1800

TOCJ 9675 London,Julie(vo)/Sophisticated Lady* 1800

TOCJ 9676 London,Julie(vo)/Love Letters* 1800

TOCJ 9677 London,Julie(vo)/Love On The Rocks* 1800

TOCJ 9678 London,Julie(vo)/Latin In A Satin Mood* 1800

TOCJ 9679 London,Julie(vo)/The End Of The World* 1800

TOCJ 9680 London,Julie(vo)/The Wonderful World Of* 1800

TOCJ 9681 London,Julie(vo)/You Don't Have To Be A Baby To Cry* 1800

TOCJ 9682 London,Julie(vo)/In Person At The Americana* 1800

TOCJ 9683 London,Julie(vo)/Our Fair Lady* 1800

TOCJ 9684 London,Julie(vo)/Feeling Good* 1800

TOCJ 9685 London,Julie(vo)/All Through The Night* 1800

TOCJ 9686 London,Julie(vo)/For The Night People* 1800

TOCJ 9687 London,Julie(vo)/Nice Girls Don't Stay For Breakfast* 1800

TOCJ 9688 London,Julie(vo)/With Body & Soul* 1800

TOCJ 9689 London,Julie(vo)/Easy Does It* 1800

TOCJ 9690 London,Julie(vo)/Yummy,Yummy,Yummy* 1800

I'm not a Julie London fan and I sold the few albums I had a long time ago, but if I remember correctly Julie Is Her Name and Julie at Home are small-group dates without strings. No guarantee, though :)

"Julie is Her Name" has strings - exactly 10 of them: 6 on the guitar and 4 on the bass. That's all the instrumentation on it.

Most of her 1950s albums are on the jazzy side of the spectrum and few have strings.

"Julie at Home" is a great little jazzy date that was supposedly recorded at her home.

Somewhere around the early 1960s - when her hairstyle changes - her records get into more contemporary pop territory - "End of the World," etc. She continued to do jazzy albums along the way, though, like the "Cole Porter" album from the mid or late 1960s.

I'm a big fan. I often felt that she didn't get taken seriously as a singer because of the cheesecake nature of the record covers and her pinup image. But the proof is in the grooves of those records. I'm happy to see that so much stuff has made it to CD.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

I've grown to like here more and more and used a version of Motherless Child on my blues set

I can't get past the monotony of her singing. My problem, I know :)

I know what you mean...

But that 'monotony' works so well on her versions of 'Can't Get Out of this Mood' and 'Where Am I to Go'...sigh :rolleyes:

One question; when she started her career (with 'Julie is her name' ?) was she considered as a jazzvocalist? And just to be clear I don't want to start a discussion about what a jazzsinger is, should do/be...I'm just curious about what the critics (Feather, Hentoff,...) in the 50's had to say about Julie London.

j.

Edited by epistrophy007