Julie London

Bright Moments

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've hear it from more than one source - back when I was writing my '50s jazz book I talked to her on the phone (she was working as an artist and living in Long Island City) but I hadn't heard this story yet, or else I would have asked her. I'll bet Marian McPartland (who originally suggested I call her) would know.

i was just listening to some julie and remembered this thread.

she sure warms the cockles of my heart! :wub:

(i'm not sure what cockles are, but she warms them! :P )

(DON'T GO THERE--it's TOO easy!! :rmad: )

You're right, it is easy and I will go there by way of Woody Allen who when Diane Keaton tells him in LOVE AND DEATH that someone else warms the cockles of her heart, replies:

"Sure, of course, hot cockles!"

More people wanders what cockles means:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-coc2.htm

he convinced her to come to the States and, as I've been told, then torpedoed her career when she wouldn't sleep with him.

I didn't know about the sleepover, but I've read somewhere that Hipp refused to record some of Feather's originals.

Most of the sessions he produced have at least one tune from his hand (and it's not always the best one from the set).

There were many talented female musicians in the fifties who could have benefited from Feather's eagerness to boost their careers and somehow it didn't happen. (Vivian Garry, Clora Bryant, Norma Carson, Beryl Booker, et al.)

j.

Edited by epistrophy007

• 3 weeks later...

I was just reading a review of her 'Live at the Americana' LP, recorded in 1964 at the hotel's Royal Box Club. Have to admit that I know next to nothing about the hotel and have never heard of that club (can't find a single photo of it online). Built in '62 w/2,000 rooms...whatever happened to the place? Purchased by another hotel group? Razed?

I was just reading a review of her 'Live at the Americana' LP, recorded in 1964 at the hotel's Royal Box Club. Have to admit that I know next to nothing about the hotel and have never heard of that club (can't find a single photo of it online). Built in '62 w/2,000 rooms...whatever happened to the place? Purchased by another hotel group? Razed?

I believe it is now a Sheraton or some such.

• 11 years later...

Before Julie London was with Liberty, she recorded four tracks for Bethlehem.  

• A Foggy Day
  • You're Blasé
  • Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child
  • Don't Worry About Me

These were originally released on a 45 EP, as far as I know.  When I first got together with Ms. TTK, she had these four tracks on a budget LP on the Guest Star label, but the LP has gone missing, or it is misfiled.  

Does anyone know if these four tracks have crossed over into the digital era?

15 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Before Julie London was with Liberty, she recorded four tracks for Bethlehem.  

• A Foggy Day
  • You're Blasé
  • Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child
  • Don't Worry About Me

These were originally released on a 45 EP, as far as I know.  When I first got together with Ms. TTK, she had these four tracks on a budget LP on the Guest Star label, but the LP has gone missing, or it is misfiled.  

Does anyone know if these four tracks have crossed over into the digital era?

https://www.discogs.com/Carmen-McRae-Julie-London-Carmen-McRae-Julie-London/release/17368390

https://www.discogs.com/Julie-London-Lonely-Girl-An-Album-Collection/release/8054336