How's the Weather

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Britain is currently very wet. Wimbeldon weather.

Clear blue skies down here. :) We had a bit of hail last week though.

Was lovely yesterday afternoon. And it's light showering with lots of cloud at present. But last week....

Queues all day yesterday on the Worksop bypass (which I can see from my house) due to flooding on the next roundabout down.

Forecast looks pretty wet for the near future. Don't mind it at this time of year as long as we get properly compensated in August!

Edited by A Lark Ascending

This Summer is going to be a washout for weather. It's the Olympics, remember? :rolleyes:

Weird flash floods on Friday evening - 'Independence Day' clouds, lightning and heavy hail covering the whole of the Somerset Levels. Must be a Somerset thing (probably true - they get all of the cr*p coming up from Lyme Bay).

Ah, but I won't be doing the Olympics or be anywhere near them.

Really? A highlight of the year (or any year) in my view, considering the last one here was 1949. Unmissable, whether or not you are watching the sailing from Weymouth, track events in the stadium (wish there had been more tickets on offer though) or just catching it all live 'on the box'.

Ah, but I won't be doing the Olympics or be anywhere near them.

Really? A highlight of the year (or any year) in my view, considering the last one here was 1949. Unmissable, whether or not you are watching the sailing from Weymouth, track events in the stadium (wish there had been more tickets on offer though) or just catching it all live 'on the box'.

Never had the remotest interest in sport (if I want competition there's always 'who's the best alto sax player?' or 'is Haitink better than Karajan?'!).

Don't begrudge it to anyone else and know that it will give oodles of pleasure both here and round the world.

I quite like the sound of a cricket match as long as I don't have to watch it. Otherwise, 90 minutes watching sport is 90 minutes wasted when I could be listening to...er...'Tales of Topographic Oceans' perhaps?

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Still wet as...a wet place.

One of the wettest Aprils on record.

Still likely to have drought problems. 'The wrong kind of rain' (or more accurately, rain falling in spring/summer when we need it in winter when it gets a chance to soak in).

Fill those water butts while you can.

Still wet as...a wet place.

One of the wettest Aprils on record.

Still likely to have drought problems. 'The wrong kind of rain' (or more accurately, rain falling in spring/summer when we need it in winter when it gets a chance to soak in).

Fill those water butts while you can.

Today's steady rain and high winds create problems for this afternoon's gig. Don't want to miss the redoubtable John Hallam and the good company, but the venue is 20 mins walk from the Metro station (15 miles in total from here) and an umbrella alone won't do the trick. May be the first gig I go to with a spare pair of jeans in the rucksack! :lol:

Today's steady rain and high winds create problems for this afternoon's gig.

I was planning on driving down out West to see Mike Westbrook's big band this afternoon - however the predicted weather for the whole area looks abysmal and the drive would be an ordeal. What a shame ! :(

Edited by sidewinder

Today's steady rain and high winds create problems for this afternoon's gig. Don't want to miss the redoubtable John Hallam and the good company, but the venue is 20 mins walk from the Metro station (15 miles in total from here) and an umbrella alone won't do the trick. May be the first gig I go to with a spare pair of jeans in the rucksack! :lol:

I always carry a waterproof beret to jazz gigs.

I was planning on driving down out West to see Mike Westbrook's big band this afternoon - however the predicted weather for the whole area looks abysmal and the drive would be an ordeal. What a shame ! :(

That really is bad luck. At least I won't have to be green with envy when you tell us how good the concert was! [one of those smiley faces]

Today's steady rain and high winds create problems for this afternoon's gig.

Good job there's a hosepipe ban. Weather down here in Cornwall is appalling - tree down outside the house and they could hold the Olympics sailing event on our lawn at the moment.

Still, we can always head out for a hot pasty. Oh, hang on....

Still, we can always head out for a hot pasty. Oh, hang on....

Careful - 'pasty' always gets US board members thinking we're all perverts over here. Hot pasty (taxed or otherwise)...

I always carry a waterproof beret to jazz gigs.

And false goatee beard?

I find it absorbs surplus water.

Yesterday was the hottest day ever in April... in the sun, it was easily 30°C, and in the evening, you could walk around in a t-shirt until after midnight. Crazy. No one tell me climate is healthy and sane and climate change not happening.

Even though we are drowning down here, Scotland has clear skies!

I trust the SNP are making good use of that to increase votes in next weeks elections.

Weather down here in Cornwall is appalling - tree down outside the house and they could hold the Olympics sailing event on our lawn at the moment.

That makes me feel a bit better about not braving the torrential rain in an effort to see the Westbrook concert. They are back at Drewsteignton in August so I'd better make it next time !

Local rivers and ditches next door are full to overflowing here too..

Weather down here in Cornwall is appalling - tree down outside the house and they could hold the Olympics sailing event on our lawn at the moment.

That makes me feel a bit better about not braving the torrential rain in an effort to see the Westbrook concert. They are back at Drewsteignton in August so I'd better make it next time !

Local rivers and ditches next door are full to overflowing here too..

As the storm worsened, I called off my trip to hear John Hallam. Pity! :(

That's useful info - I see they are there on July 22nd and then in St. Ives on 24th. I'm planning heading for Cornwall that weekend so may well arrange my plans to hit one or the other. I missed them in St. Ives by a day last year.

This is turning into a Mike Westbrook thread but I make no apologies for that. :)

Drewsteignton is a lovely little place on the edge of Dartmoor - if it's like the last time I went the gig will be in the barn adjoining the Drewes Arms (entry via the graveyard !). Recommended !

Edited to say that yes, it is on 22nd July. I was thinking of the 'Off Abbey Road', which is in London in August (and with Brian Godding on guitar :tup ).

Edited by sidewinder

This is turning into a Mike Westbrook thread but I make no apologies for that. :)

Drewsteignton is a lovely little place on the edge of Dartmoor - if it's like the last time I went the gig will be in the barn adjoining the Drewes Arms. Recommended !

Sounds good. The sight-lines at St. Ives are a bit off. The bar is on two tiers. If you get downstairs, fine, but not so easy to see from the top.