Wynonie Harris, July 1947 Aladdin Session

king ubu

Bruyninckx:

Similar to previous with The Harlemaires (vcl group-l)

New York, June 1947

A-4025-3 You got to get yourself a job girl Aladdin 208, Route 66 KIX-20

A-4026-6 Hard ridin' mama (1) - , -

A-4027-1 Big city blues 196, KIX-3

A-4028-1 Ghost of a chance (1) - , KIX-30

Note : Pete Brown (as) is possibly present on the above session.

Similar to previous meaning:

Wynonie "Mr. Blues" Harris and his All-Stars : Wynonie Harris (vcl) acc by Pat Jenkins, Joe Newman (tp) Tab Smith (as) Allen Eager (ts) Larry Belton (bar) Bill Doggett (p) Mary Osborne (g) Al McKibbon (b) Walter Johnson (d)

(which is the band from the Nov. 30, 1946 NY Aladdin session)

Lord gives mostly unknowns (unknown tp's, ts, bar, p, g, b, d possPete Brown (as) The Harlemaires (vcl group)) - maybe someone could check the latest online version?

Then there's the Proper box, which again gives different personnel, but I guess no one would recommend to rely on them: unknown (t) (as) (ts) (bs), probably Chester Slater (p), Billy Butler (g), Percy Joell (b), Dorothea "Dottie" Smith (d), The Harlemaires: Slater, Butler, Joell, Smith (voc).

Anyone has any insight there... asking this because I've been checking out the discography of Pete Brown's, following the intriguing discussion in the Hemphill-thread (that hopefully will be moved into a separate thread!)

Then there's the Proper box, which again gives different personnel, but I guess no one would recommend to rely on them: unknown (t) (as) (ts) (bs), probably Chester Slater (p), Billy Butler (g), Percy Joell (b), Dorothea "Dottie" Smith (d), The Harlemaires: Slater, Butler, Joell, Smith (voc).

This is not of Proper's doing ... this is the personnel listing included in the Wynonie Harris bio "Rock Mr. Blues" by Tony Collins (published in 1995 by Big Nickel Publications - not a publisher renowned for sloppy work ;)). And until DEFINITELY proven wrong, I am inclined to go along with what those who really went to the pains of researching the life and times of the artist in question to the extent of writing a book about his life wanted to see published. And the discography does look fairly thorough and detailed.

If the biographer saw fit to publish a listing that is quite different from the Bruyxninck listing that in turn came from the 60s Jepsen discography (with ONE major difference - see below) and appeared on the late 70s Route 66 reissue LPs the I assume he must have had good reason to do so.

BTW, Bruyninckx stating "similar to above" (refering to the Nov. 30, 1946 Aladdin session) omits ONE crucial detail in the way he took the entry from Jepsen: Jepsen clearly says about the July 1947 session in referring to the previos Nov. 1946 one: "Similar BUT NOT THE SAME" (my capitals) which IMO does read like the lineup likely was QUITE (and not just a bit) different. ;)

Ok, thanks to both of you... so the info from Proper is trustable for once, who'd have thunk it!?

Next question then: could it still be Pete Brown on alto, or is that ruled out by some reason (like he had a gig in another part of the country, or something? Any details about that in the biography?)

The text of the bio mentions the session but not in extreme detail and only speaks of the presence of a "horn section" among the backing musicians. If there had been any indication whatsoever that Pete Brown was among the horn men according to the state of knowledge at the time the bio was written and published then no doubt he would have been mentioned in the session lineup.

Not that it solves anything, on the contrary, but Michel Ruppli's discography "The Aladdin/Imperial Labels" (Greenwood Press, 1991) gives this info, which is roughly the same as the earlier discographical data provided by Bruyninckx et al:

WYNONIE "Mr. BLUES" HARRIS AND HIS ALL STARS:

Wynonie Harris (vo) with unidentified orchestra (similar to November 30, 1946 session).

NYC, July , 1947

A-4025-3 You got to get yourself a job girl Aladdin 208; Route 66 (sd) KIX-20

A-4026-1 Hard ridin' mama - ; -

A-4027-1 Big city blues Aladdin 196; Route 66 (Sd) KIX-3

A-4028-1 Ghost of a chance - ; Route 66 (Sd) KIX-30

I guess the discography in the biography is the most trustworthy for the reasons Steve mentioned.

Edited by J.A.W.