Harry Belafonte on Eyewitness News

I was just glancing at his autobiography in a book store and discovered that he got his first singing gig at The Royal Roost through his friendship with Lester Young. his first accompanist was Al Haig.

He's 80 years old and fell asleep waiting for an interview. Early morning one maybe. What's amazing is he even looks pretty good when he's asleep. As to the nasty comments about him: you may not agree with his politics but he's done a lot more for other people during his life than I suspect most of us have.

Never has he come off so intelligently or politically astute.

guess you haven't been listening to him all these years!

I was just glancing at his autobiography in a book store and discovered that he got his first singing gig at The Royal Roost through his friendship with Lester Young. his first accompanist was Al Haig.

He's 80 years old and fell asleep waiting for an interview. Early morning one maybe. What's amazing is he even looks pretty good when he's asleep. As to the nasty comments about him: you may not agree with his politics but he's done a lot more for other people during his life than I suspect most of us have.

very reliable sources say he was NOT asleep. he was waiting for his signal but could not hear it.

Never has he come off so intelligently or politically astute.

guess you haven't been listening to him all these years!

very reliable sources say he was NOT asleep. he was waiting for his signal but could not hear it.

I've heard his bullshit many times, Valerie. Anyone who expresses such hatred against black conservatives (and in racial terms like "house negro") is beneath contempt.

As for your "very reliable sources" why would he close his eyes then? He's done too many of these interviews to count, you don't watch the guy in the studio for a signal? He didn't think to turn up his hearing aid?

I don't understand why the cameraman didn't wake him up a minute ahead of time.

because everything is done through the headset and, after that, he would have been on camera nudging him. he did not look like he was sleeping to me. just eyes closed, perhaps "meditating". whatever it was, i'm sure everyone will survive it. he is an American Treasure!