Fremeaux - get 'em

AllenLowe

I have long been an admirer of the French Fremeaux label, which does a great job on sound - good transfers without butchery; their Chicago: South SIde 1923-1930 is to die for - good clean miracle transfers on Paramounts like those of Ollie Powers and nice stuff from Young's Creole Orchestra. Also, Morton/Oliver duet and much much more. If you have any interest in that city's music from those days, get it. Also, an incredible trumpet solo on a Sammy Stewart record from 1924 (what year did Miley do his first growling solo? This one is amazing).

Edited by AllenLowe

I ordered 2 weeks ago the 3 boxes of their complete Django Reinhardt (3 boxes, 7 double Cd sets each) from Amazon.co.UK. 42 GBP/box and 60 GBP/box, i.e. 162 GBP for the totality.

Very good price since normally each 2-CD set costs around 25 GBP, resulting to 21 sets x 25GBP/box = 525 GBP.

516SNltpYfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 42 GBP

51fvY9iyJFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 60 GBP

51Q3jyhq9bL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 60 GBP

Edited by Alexandros

Amazon.com often has good prices on Fremeaux sets and individual discs... ditto for CD Universe.

I think shopping around is a good idea, since there seems to be quite a bit of variance in the markup/list price(s).

They offer some pretty amazing - and very hard to find - material from Brazil, Cuba and the French-speaking Caribbean.

Edited by seeline

Idiotic time frame.

Nothing wrong with the timeframe. The Quintessence double CD series are meant as introduction to the music of important artists.

The 26 tunes included are carefull selected (with good liner notes) representations of the Ducal music up to the Blanton years.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried CD Universe?

Also... check Half.com and Ebay. You might get a good deal that way. (I used to buy a lot of discs through Half.com sellers and found some pretty rare titles for very reasonable prices.)

Edited to add: http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Chicago-South-Side-1923-1930-CD-Mar-2002-2-Discs-Fremeaux-Associes-/3507237#

Edited by seeline

Also, an incredible trumpet solo on a Sammy Stewart record from 1924 (what year did Miley do his first growling solo? This one is amazing).

Just got this today and I'm hearing this growling trumpet solo for my first time now. WOW!

Sound is nice. Everything I have heard so far on Vol. 1 blows the sound of JSP's Breaking Out of New Orleans (a pretty good collection) out of the water.

Edited by Neal Pomea