Hot Stove Thread 2011-2012

Philly baseball scribe(and member of the Hall of Fame) Bill Conlin has been accused of molestation by 4 people. Unbelievable, especially in light of his recent columns blasting Jerry Sandusky.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20111220_Four_say_Philly_Daily_News_writer_Bill_Conlin_sexually_abused_them_as_children.html?c=r

Kind of makes all that steroids nonsense look pretty pointless by comparision.

Edited by GoodSpeak

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's one of my worries...the other being the whole "it's a different game here" thing...but with both Maddux brothers in tow now, there's room for at least some cautious optimism.

The ball is bigger and the workload is heavier- in Japan, they pitch once a week. I wish Darvish well, except when he faces the Yanks. :smirk:

On a non-related note:

I have come into possesion of a Phillies vs Yankees 2009 WS Program. I really have no use for it and was wondering if any of you might like to have it.

PM me and we'll go from there, OK?

Tim

Edited by GoodSpeak

Washington close to trading for Gio Gonzalez. We'll see. This would be good for the Nationals.

ETA, i.e., Edited to Add: Deal went through. Gonzalez for pitchers Cole, Peacock, Milone, and catcher Norris, all minor leaguers. Milone was interesting in that he homered in his first major league at bat last year. Can't remember very many pitchers like that!

Edited by Neal Pomea

Wonderfully ridiculous list by New York Times TV critic Neil Genzlinger of the top cameo appearances by baseball players on a TV series (no talk shows, SNL, etc.) One quibble: He makes up a few rules and eliminates Seinfeld appearances as "too lazy" and that knocks out the great Keith Hernandez/Kennedy/Oswald show. But otherwise, this is a pretty entertaining exercise in, as the writer puts it, hot-stove frivolity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/24/arts/television/all-star-lineup-major-league-baseballs-all-cameo-team.html?_r=1&ref=television

Edited by Mark Stryker

Washington close to trading for Gio Gonzalez. We'll see. This would be good for the Nationals.

ETA, i.e., Edited to Add: Deal went through. Gonzalez for pitchers Cole, Peacock, Milone, and catcher Norris, all minor leaguers. Milone was interesting in that he homered in his first major league at bat last year. Can't remember very many pitchers like that!

Nats are gonna be a good team in 2012. Scary good.

Wonderfully ridiculous list by New York Times TV critic Neil Genzlinger of the top cameo appearances by baseball players on a TV series (no talk shows, SNL, etc.) One quibble: He makes up a few rules and eliminates Seinfeld appearances as "too lazy" and that knocks out the great Keith Hernandez/Kennedy/Oswald show. But otherwise, this is a pretty entertaining exercise in, as the writer puts it, hot-stove frivolity.

http://www.nytimes.c...&ref=television

WHAT?!?!?! No mention of Drysdale/Durocher on The Munsters? Or was that too much of a role to be considered a cameo?

Oh Ivan DeJesus on a cracker, Beltran hit .323 and slugged .551 for the Whiningfrisco Giants. He slugged .700 in September! He did more than squat for them.

He brought those numbers with him to SF. Check out his stat on hitting runners in to score. Beltran hit in September when the pennant race was all but over. Before that...not a lot to shout about.

All show, no go.

Nats are gonna be a good team in 2012. Scary good.

Wish I were that optimistic. We still have no power hitters or guys who can drive in runs. Last year may have been a fluke for Michael Morse. This year might be Desmond's last with DC unless he can become a lead off hitter. Feeling good about "Spinoza" at second. But even with our pitching, we are going to get creamed next year by the Marlins, Phillies, and Braves. Might play better out of our division.

Edited by Neal Pomea

Looks like the steal-with-a-big-lead-late-in-the-game Phillies are attemping to buy the WS:

Jonathan Papelbon

Ty Wigginton

Jimmy Rollins

Laynce Nix

I could go on...

Throwing money around in Philly.

Damn dude why do you have such a hard on for the Phillies??

Trading for Wigginton(and only picking up $2M of his contract) and signing Nix(two year contract worth a grand total of $2.5M over two seasons) are not what I, or anyone else with a lick of sense, would call throwing money around. You could make a case that they might have overpaid for Papelbon but, the Rollins re-signing was a necessity and they got a good deal considering that he wanted 5 years and they got him for 3.

Looks like the steal-with-a-big-lead-late-in-the-game Phillies are attemping to buy the WS:

Jonathan Papelbon

Ty Wigginton

Jimmy Rollins

Laynce Nix

I could go on...

Throwing money around in Philly.

Damn dude why do you have such a hard on for the Phillies??

Trading for Wigginton(and only picking up $2M of his contract) and signing Nix(two year contract worth a grand total of $2.5M over two seasons) are not what I, or anyone else with a lick of sense, would call throwing money around. You could make a case that they might have overpaid for Papelbon but, the Rollins re-signing was a necessity and they got a good deal considering that he wanted 5 years and they got him for 3.

I dunno.

I think my dislike for the Phills began with Manuel running off at the mouth about the SF pitching staff, stealing second late in the game with a six run lead against the worst offense in the league and blaming the Giants for the ensuing brawl.

What do you think, JH?

I've spent Summers in Texas and Japan and I have to say Japan is much worse. Not hotter per se (and certainly nothing like this past Summer in Texas) but way more humid while being pretty hot as well. I never sweat as much as I did walking around Tokyo in July. So if this is your worry, I think he'll be OK......

Darvish is accustomed to pitching in the climate-controlled Sapporo Dome, as well as other domes, where temperatures are a comfortable 70 degrees. Dallas-Fort Worth area had 71 days above 100 degrees last summer, including 40 in a row.

Better keep the Gatorade handy.

Edited by Dave James

ESPN is reporting that Joe Torre has left his job with MLB to pursue the purchase of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Could be the first step in the process of restoring a storied franchise that has fallen upon the hardest of times. I'm not a Dodger fan by any means, but this would be a good thing for baseball.

I'm also a fan, in theory, of ex-players taking a stake in actual ownership. No guarantee that they won't/haven't already turned into Rich Oblivious Pig Fucks, but unless/until they do, it's never a bad thing in any business for there to be at least one voice in ownership who really knows how the product itself actually works.

• 2 weeks later...