JSngry

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we need to define our terms.

REead the autopsy here: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Sunshine_pop

I think we now have our definition. :rlol

Indeed! I gather that musically the difference is that the term is for the most part limited to recordings with orchestration, which of course the beat groups didn't have. OK, I concede!

Maybe we need to define our terms. I consider most of the 1964 British Invasion material sunshine pop! Particularly the Liverpool guys.

My problem is with "batshit crazy." Nothing too crazy about most of these tunes imo - just simply good/great pop songs of a batshit era. ;)

I look for batshit crazy in the chord progressions, or the production, or the lyrics, or some combination...something that is not "mainstream" in sensibility but gets by anyway. The type of thing that if you actually look at objectively makes you go "hmmmm....."

Put it this way - if The Association's "Everything That Touches You" was a plate of food, would you eat it? Think carefully before answering, because that thing starts out pretty dense, and before it's over is throbbing and splashing and yelling right up in your face...

I look for batshit crazy in the chord progressions, or the production, or the lyrics, or some combination...something that is not "mainstream" in sensibility but gets by anyway. The type of thing that if you actually look at objectively makes you go "hmmmm....."

This quailifies on all three counts, from the REAL best album of 1967. Listen to the how one rhyming line is resolved by the first word in the third sentence rather than the last word in the second sentence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBV91Cj8H5I

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Authentic from the era and fantastic. Amazing harmonies, amazing fuzz guitar and swirling organ, spectacularly spacy lyrics about David floating around the world on a balloon cause "make believe is reality to a child", etc. This is da bomb, my new #1 artyfact of the genre. And chances are, no one has ever heard of them.

Edited by felser

Authentic from the era and fantastic. Amazing harmonies, amazing fuzz guitar and swirling organ, spectacularly spacy lyrics about David floating around the world on a balloon cause "make believe is reality to a child", etc. This is da bomb, my new #1 artyfact of the genre. And chances are, no one has ever heard of them.

Great stuff. I think I posted this one earlier in the thread, but it's interesting to compare and see just how much "Creation of Sunlight" influenced the sound...

It also reminds me of this one by Olivia Tremor Control...

AMG http://www.allmusic.com/album/creation-of-sunlight-r34220/review doesn't like Creation Of Sunlight as much as I like that cut, but I, too, thought of Strawberry Alarm Clock, which is not a bad thing.

What's the story on these guys? Who was their producer?

No idea on story or producer. It was their only album. The editorial staff at eby/half.com (or wherever they pipe them in from) like it quite a bit: "The Creation of Sunlight album is perhaps the last great musical secret of the sixties. Clearly influenced by the jazzy vocal psychedelia of Strawberry Alarm clock this record is definitive west coast psychedelic sunshine pop; packed with gorgeous harmonies, driving hammond, minor-keyed melodies and eclectic guitar., The self-titled release from CREATION OF SUNLIGHT features 10 remarkable tracks of soft psychedelic rock."

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly Sunshine Pop, sort of its big brother heading towards progressive music, from the same era (1970), and magnificent. The whole album is pretty incredible (the only dud is the "can you dig it" cover of "For What It's Worth", which I bet was the record company's idea). And likely almost no one's ever heard of them. I went out and bought the CD (about $11 with shipping) and am thrilled with it.

This quailifies on all three counts, from the REAL best album of 1967. Listen to the how one rhyming line is resolved by the first word in the third sentence rather than the last word in the second sentence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBV91Cj8H5I

Love fans may care to watch this as well. Greatest "lost" single of the psychedelic era? Maybe...

I've been holding this one in reserve. It's a late '60's band called Chamaeleon Church. It's distinguished by two things; incredibly bad lyrics and Chevy Chase on drums. He's third from the left in the shot of the back of the album at the beginning of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGa3M4bIP48&feature=related

I've been holding this one in reserve. It's a late '60's band called Chamaeleon Church. It's distinguished by two things; incredibly bad lyrics and Chevy Chase on drums. He's third from the left in the shot of the back of the album at the beginning of the video.

They were part of the ill-fated "Bosstown Sound" hype. The backlash took two great Ultimate Spinach albums down with it.