Freeman Lee

Joe

Played some fairly tasty, Dorham-inspired (to these ears, anyway) trumpet on a couple of Elmo Hope dates in the early 50's (Blue Note and Prestige). No other recording activity of which I am aware. Any info or resources out there?

Thanks in advance,

J

Edited by Joe

Thanks all. Not much there; odd, as Lee shows real "character" on trumpet and appears to have been a versatile player on several instruments. I'd like to think that Frank Foster / Ohio is the real connection to Hope, and not the connection I (admittedly cynically) fear it to have been.

Bruyninckx reveals an interesting Charlie Singleton session from 1953 producing 2 tracks with Lou Donaldson, Budd Johnson and Gildo Mahones.

That session is unfortunately missing from the Charlie Singleton CD that came out on the usually complete series from the Blues & Rhythm label

products-00-0004-00048725-charlie-singleton-1949-1953.jpg

Interesting CD that includes the first appearance (on baritone sax) on record by Jackie McLean.

Lou Donaldson, Lucky Thompson, Herbie Nichols and others also show up briefly...

consistent with the info paul linked to (ie if he was CHarles Freeman Lee born on 13 AUgust 1927) we have

LEE, CHARLES F 13 Aug 1927 16 Jun 1997

according to his social security death index entry (last address in ohio again)

in fact, creepy as it is that information is so widely available:

42544650_125432278594.jpg

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=42544650

Edited by Niko