Today is Don Cherry's Birthday

B. Goren.

Such a great musician, I love his recordings. Though he was still very active when I used to go out to listen to live jazz, somehow it never happend. I would have liked to see him live.

The first recording I had was „Complete Comunion“, and it remained one of my favourite recordings of the 60´s .

I've seen him (more than I heard him)at the Jazz Festival of Chateauvallon (south of France, near Toulon), in 1972; with a bunch of swedish hippies (with kids and all on stage). He sings lullaby, playing piano and flute(s) but no trumpet.

But I was lucky enough to catch in Brussels (did'nt live there at that time) the Ornette Coleman double bill concert. First part with the original quartet (OC, Don Cherry, Charlie Haden, Billy Higgins), second with his electric band. Don was fantastic, few notes here and there but who made everything what it should be. Great memory. The record they have made after - or before - that tour, as good as it was, did'nt reflete the marvel I've heard that evening. Listenig to the electric band after wasn't easy. I've enjoy it better some years later.

I've seen him (more than I heard him)at the Jazz Festival of Chateauvallon (south of France, near Toulon), in 1972; with a bunch of swedish hippies (with kids and all on stage). He sings lullaby, playing piano and flute(s) but no trumpet.

But I was lucky enough to catch in Brussels (did'nt live there at that time) the Ornette Coleman double bill concert. First part with the original quartet (OC, Don Cherry, Charlie Haden, Billy Higgins), second with his electric band. Don was fantastic, few notes here and there but who made everything what it should be. Great memory. The record they have made after - or before - that tour, as good as it was, did'nt reflete the marvel I've heard that evening. Listenig to the electric band after wasn't easy. I've enjoy it better some years later.

I got a Don Cherry LP with electric stuff, it´s from around 1985, I think it was done in Paris. I´m looking forward to get an LP player again, since rite now I only have CD player. Will listen to that stuff again. Remember I had a period in the mid 80´s when I was hip to electric stuff, got some kind of sabbatical from my life long loveaffair with Bebop and beyond.....

I first heard Prime Time and after that picked up that electric Don Cherry.

Maybe I also should purchase some Codona I-III, sure it has some interesting music on it. But my favourite Don Cherry recordings have been and will be those he did for BlueNote, and I love him on that Sonny Rollins stuff from late 1962 early 1963 (european tour)