The end.

Hardbopjazz

This was probable discussed here, but I couldn't find the thread.

The end of CDs

You had to know that the CD wasn't going to last forever.

We've seen 78s, vinyl, 8-track tape, and (for the most part) cassettes come and go. Why should the pre-recorded music CD be any different?

Side-Line Music Magazine turned heads last week when it reported that the major record labels plan to abandon the CD by the end of next year -- if not sooner.

The online music magazine didn't get a single music company to go on the record with its bold claim, though it later updated its story to point out that several label employees did approach the magazine to confirm that plans do exist to nix the compact disc.

If the article is accurate, we'll be down to simply limited-edition CD releases restricted to the top-selling artists after 2012.

End of CDs

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Exactly what went through my head when I saw the thread title.

I suppose it could be:

This is the end

Beautiful friend

This is the end

My only friend, the end

Of our elaborate plans, the end

Of everything that stands, the end

No safety or surprise, the end

I'll never look into your eyes...again

I imagine that, in addition to the top selling artists, they will continue to release collectors' editions of some classic jazz etc.

It is interesting that Google seems to be putting together a large network where we can shop for music/downloads direct from the artists. That is the next phase. Bring it on!

I imagine that, in addition to the top selling artists, they will continue to release collectors' editions of some classic jazz etc.

It is interesting that Google seems to be putting together a large network where we can shop for music/downloads direct from the artists. That is the next phase. Bring it on!

This looks like the only way to get the music I would be after.

Anybody else remember this article (cover story, actually) about the impact that downloading was going to have on the business?

"....record companies are making plans to sell music directly to consumers via cable, phone, and satellite transmission - cutting out record stores. Meanwhile, musicians and managers wonder why they will need the record companies at all."

"..you dial up a shopping number through your TV's computer modem and pick the title off a menu of new album releases. The digital recording is immediately sent to your computer, where it is downloaded onto a blank compact disc. You load a sheet of laminated, pre-creased cardboard into your laser printer, and out comes the printed sleeve, complete with credits, lyrics, and thank-yous. The price of the album is automatically charged to your American Express card."

-Future Shocks: The End of the Music Business as We Know It; Musician Magazine, December 1993

Of course, the record companies fucked up completely and artwork & CDs are just getting in the way now, but...this is all inevitable, really, in a consumer-driven market based on providing the consumer the option to be anyplace else but at a specific place at a specific time in order to hear whatever it is that they think they want or might want to hear.

musicianFull.jpg

Hey, you can still buy vinyl. Sometimes.

Don't know about cassettes, though. But then again...

"We" will always be a "specialty market". Keep that in mind, always, especially when it comes time to decide what you are or are not willing to accept in the process of having your specialized needs met.

I think these predictions are premature. Yes, the major labels are clearly moving away from CDs, but I suspect small labels will be releasing CDs well past 2012. We are human beings, and the physical artifact will always retain some importance. At least I hope so.

But this seems entirely generational. The majority of Millennials do not care about physical artifacts and actually prefer not to have those bulky CDs laying around, so I do think the end is in sight, even if it doesn't come in 2012.

But you know -- 2012

It's starting to make sense...

Edited by ejp626

I think these predictions are premature. Yes, the major labels are clearly moving away from CDs, but I suspect small labels will be releasing CDs well past 2012. We are human beings, and the physical artifact will always retain some importance. At least I hope so.

But this seems entirely generational. The majority of Millennials do not care about physical artifacts and actually prefer not to have those bulky CDs laying around, so I do think the end is in sight, even if it doesn't come in 2012.

But you know -- 2012

It's starting to make sense...

I don't know if it's entirely generational. I'm 34 and pretty much hate MP3s, except when I'm traveling and want my music with me. But when I'm at home, the physical object matters. The fact that I have yet to see a convincing model of the MP3 whereby you can hear the music and have all the liner notes, personnel listing, etc. with the music has been the biggest disappointment. Everybody keeps acting like music is better than it's ever been from the perspective of a listener, and I think that's only the case if you don't care about sound quality and don't care about having basic information of the recording when you listen to music. If you do care about those things, then MP3s are a tremendous loss when compared to the CD era.

Doesn't address the issue of documentation/etc, but "digital download" and "MP3" are only sometimes the same thing. FLAC files are lossless, and in this day of broad/broader/broadestband and terramegagilameshbyte HDs,...there should be options for the discriminating consumer.

Whether or not there will be remains to be seen, but if there's ever going to be a time to "raise a voice" before being forced to settle, now is probably it. If you have a choice, take it.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Exactly what went through my head when I saw the thread title.

I suppose it could be:

This is the end

Beautiful friend

This is the end

My only friend, the end

Of our elaborate plans, the end

Of everything that stands, the end

No safety or surprise, the end

I'll never look into your eyes...again

Yes, that's the one I thought about!

Where will the blue bus take us? Who's the killer of CDs?

Can you picture what will be

So limitless and free

Desesperately in need…..of some….

stranger’s hand

In a…..desperate land?

Lost in a roman…..wilderness of pain

And all children’s are insane

Waiting for the summer rain, yeah

There’s danger on the edge of town

Ride the king’s highway, baby

Weird scenes inside the gold mine

Ride the highway west, baby