Dave Brubeck Quartet CDs for sale

jazzbo

He got Pop Market to release a complete set of the Quartet's Columbia studio output, on sale at a really good price today only. :)

By the way, Happy Birthday Dave.

Good score!

Btw, something about that set looked a little weird to me. I checked and it's not a "complete" set -- a few select titles are excluded. Couldn't figure out their reasoning for not including everything "quartet". It seems to be someone's idea of the quartet's best sudio albums.

Btw, I couldn't resist either. This and the MO set should be winging to me soon.

Other than live stuff and material with vocalists I'd like to know what you think is missing, I think it's all there. Some feel that The Riddle should be there but it is not a Quartet album but one with Bill Smith and his composiitons. . . .

Ah. . .the West Side Story lp is not on this set, and a bit of other material with Bernstein conducting is possibly not here, and I'm not sure why. That's the only thing I really see missing.

Edited by jazzbo

Other than live stuff and material with vocalists I'd like to know what you think is missing, I think it's all there. Some feel that The Riddle should be there but it is not a Quartet album but one with Bill Smith and his composiitons. . . .

Ah. . .the West Side Story lp is not on this set, and a bit of other material with Bernstein conducting is possibly not here, and I'm not sure why. That's the only thing I really see missing.

Yeah, I meant that there were about 4 or 5 missing, including some NEVER issued on cd. Curious!

Yes, but what four or five? As far as I can tell there isn't, just the Bernstein. Of course there's four or five live and with vocals, but that's not in the scope of this set.

According to the Popmarket site the Bernstein is included in the 19CD-set.

These are the 19 CDs in the set:

Brubeck Time

Jazz Impressions of the U.S.A.

Jazz Impressions of Eurasia

Dave Digs Disney

Gone with the Wind

Time Out!

Southern Scene

Bernstein Plays Brubeck Plays Bernstein

Time Further Out

Countdown: Time in Outer Space

Bossa Nova U.S.A.

Brandenburg Gate: Revisited

Time Changes

Jazz Impressions of Japan

Jazz Impressions of New York

Angel Eyes

My Favorite Things

Time In

Plays Cole Porter - Anything Goes!

Yes, but what four or five? As far as I can tell there isn't, just the Bernstein. Of course there's four or five live and with vocals, but that's not in the scope of this set.

I stand corrected. I was counting the couple of live and vocal lp's, especially one with McRae where at least half was just quartet.

If there gonna do 19, why not do 25-30, include everything prior to his quartet with Mulligan, and get it over and done with???

Hans, I do know that listing. I was referring to some other Bernstein material, such as

The Dave Brubeck Quartet

Paul Desmond (as) Dave Brubeck (p) Gene Wright (b) Joe Morello (d)

NYC, February 14, 1960

CO64115 Tonight Columbia CL 1466

CO64116 I Feel Pretty -

CO64117 Maria -

CO64118 Somewhere -

* The Dave Brubeck Quartet Plays Music From Leonard Bernstein's West Side Story (Columbia CL 1466)

. . . .Which doesn't appear to be on this set. Maybe it is, added to the Bertnstein material included? Can't tell.

Edited by jazzbo

I stand corrected. I was counting the couple of live and vocal lp's, especially one with McRae where at least half was just quartet.

If there gonna do 19, why not do 25-30, include everything prior to his quartet with Mulligan, and get it over and done with???

John, I agree, but think that the size is likely considered prohibitive. Also I think record labels don't think in terms of "getting it over and done with." I have the material, so I'm not so heart-broken.

Hans, I do know that listing. I was referring to some other Bernstein material, such as

The Dave Brubeck Quartet

Paul Desmond (as) Dave Brubeck (p) Gene Wright (b) Joe Morello (d)

NYC, February 14, 1960

CO64115 Tonight Columbia CL 1466

CO64116 I Feel Pretty -

CO64117 Maria -

CO64118 Somewhere -

* The Dave Brubeck Quartet Plays Music From Leonard Bernstein's West Side Story (Columbia CL 1466)

. . . .Which doesn't appear to be on this set. Maybe it is, added to the Bertnstein material included? Can't tell.

Looks as if this material IS included in the set, as the original "Bernstein plays Brubeck plays Bernstein" lp apparently included these tracks, which is not indicated by the discography I was using as my tool to see the contents of the set. It seems there are two titles for Columbia CL 1466. . . confusing, I thought the two titles were two different releases. Still don't see a resolution of that out there. Anyway, this looks like a complete set of studio material without vocals or other guests. Which is great!

Edited by jazzbo

Russell Gloyd told me they are at work on another boxed set focusing on the Brubeck Quartet's live recordings. He mentioned there are many unissued takes from the 1962 Concertgebouw album (which wasn't released until 1968 or so).

Another thing missing from the Studio boxed set, all of the stereo takes from the Columbia Legacy Digital/CDR on demand edition of Dave Digs Disney.

Russell Gloyd told me they are at work on another boxed set focusing on the Brubeck Quartet's live recordings. He mentioned there are many unissued takes from the 1962 Concertgebouw album (which wasn't released until 1968 or so).

Another thing missing from the Studio boxed set, all of the stereo takes from the Columbia Legacy Digital/CDR on demand edition of Dave Digs Disney.

Does the booklet that comes with the Studio set actually have liner notes? Mine just has pictures and discographical details.