New from Classic Records

wolff

BST-81595-45 Julian "Cannonball" Adderley: Autumn Leaves/ Alison's Uncle Now

MLP-4001-45 Anthony Ortega: A Man and His Horns 12" 45rpm. Six Song (Side A) sampler of Anthony Ortega's highly regarded "A Man and his Horn" originally on Herald Records featuring Hank Jones, Ed Thigpen and Addison Farmer recorded by Rudy Van Gelder

These two look very interesting.

Strange. Bruyninckx lists 8 tracks for the Herald LP, and a recording date ca. 1961, excluding that it might have been a 10" LP fitting on one side of a 12" LP. Perhaps some tapes are missing or the artist wants to keep some tracks off the new release. Or licensing problems?

Thanks for the info, wolff. I'll probably be on the Ortega. But why only a 45 of one side? Did they ever issue the entire album?

That Herald 10-incher was a rare item! I saw one so-so copy with a $150 price at a record sale one day. I did not see it when I came back the next day. (was not aiming to buy it at that price!).

The eight tracks are on the Blue Moon BMCD 'A Man And His Horns' with the six tracks from a Vantage album that Ortega recorded in 1954 in Oslo with a Norwegian rhythm section. This was released couple years ago by Fresh Sounds.

Thanks for the info, wolff. I'll probably be on the Ortega. But why only a 45 of one side? Did they ever issue the entire album?

That Herald 10-incher was a rare item! I saw one so-so copy with a $150 price at a record sale one day. I did not see it when I came back the next day. (was not aiming to buy it at that price!).

The eight tracks are on the Blue Moon BMCD 'A Man And His Horns' with the six tracks from a Vantage album that Ortega recorded in 1954 in Oslo with a Norwegian rhythm section. This was released couple years ago by Fresh Sounds.

Thanks for the info, brownie. Now it looks like I'll pick up the Blue Moon, get all the music, and save a few bucks. Can't beat that.

• 2 weeks later...

Undercurrents is a good one, but you really should try one of the 200 gram Blue Note Mono's from Classic.

Classic did "Red Arrow"? I know they did "1957".

Another great Classis re-issue is Rouse/YEAH! It may be OOP, but still available somewhere.

Enjoy the turntable!!