Vaclav Havel 1936-2011

brownie

Indeed, worthy of admiration. I wonder if his literary background actually made him more fit for leadership than someone whose political resume was more typical (law, business, politics, etc). It is that humanist quality that seems to me to be so lacking today; indeed, held in contempt or derision by too many.

According to Wikipedia

"Havel was also a great supporter and fan of jazz and frequented such Prague clubs as Radost FX and the Reduta Jazz Club" .

IIRC one of the important Czech dissident writings was titled "The Jazz Manifesto".

I've been reading some of the writings of Josef Skvorecky, who frequently writes on jazz and Eastern European politics. I believe he was an admirer of Havel, though they probably had some differences. I'm going to see if I can track down this short piece by Skvorecky: - "I Saw Václav Havel for the Last Time", in Jan Vladislav (ed.) Václav Havel or Living in Truth, Fa ber and Faber, London, pp.274-277.

BTW, has anyone actually seen any of the early plays by Havel? I've seen one in translation (The Memorandum), and while I'm sure it did lose a lot in translation, the satire was still quite biting. Slightly more absurdist than Bulgakov, but they (to me) seemed like fellow spirits.

According to Wikipedia

"Havel was also a great supporter and fan of jazz and frequented such Prague clubs as Radost FX and the Reduta Jazz Club" .

IIRC one of the important Czech dissident writings was titled "The Jazz Manifesto".

I've been reading some of the writings of Josef Skvorecky, who frequently writes on jazz and Eastern European politics. I believe he was an admirer of Havel, though they probably had some differences. I'm going to see if I can track down this short piece by Skvorecky: - "I Saw Václav Havel for the Last Time", in Jan Vladislav (ed.) Václav Havel or Living in Truth, Fa ber and Faber, London, pp.274-277.

BTW, has anyone actually seen any of the early plays by Havel? I've seen one in translation (The Memorandum), and while I'm sure it did lose a lot in translation, the satire was still quite biting. Slightly more absurdist than Bulgakov, but they (to me) seemed like fellow spirits.

If you find it please let me know. I have most of Josef's writings that have been published in English but not that one.

According to Wikipedia

If you find it please let me know. I have most of Josef's writings that have been published in English but not that one.

Actually, this volume is being remaindered and there are plenty of copies: Remaindered Truth I decided I would just try ILL, but I came close to buying it (probably only holding off because I went and bought the collected plays of Havel in 3 volumes -- and that will be of more long term interest than this particular collection).