Wayne Shorter

Hardbopjazz

This should be a great show.

Jazz Jam

2011-12 Season

Wayne Shorter Quartet

Fri-Sat Apr 27-28 8pm

Rose Theater

There may not be a jazz musician alive who is more universally admired than saxophonist/composer Wayne Shorter. Whoever he’s played with or written for – Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers, Miles Davis, Weather Report, Herbie Hancock – a trail of awards and classic compositions have followed. When he put the call out to form a quartet in 2000, the clamoring among the top musicians was palpable. He chose young adventurous players – pianist Danilo Perez, bassist John Patitucci, and drummer Brian Blade –¬ who, to quote Shorter’s 2006 Grammy award winning album title, take listeners Beyond The Sound Barrier.

Free pre-concert discussion nightly at 7pm.

This event is part of the Jazz Jam Series click here to subscribe

Rose Theater

• 4 weeks later...

I remember seeing Shorter and Herbie Hancock in Central New Jersey in 2000 or 2001. It was a very melow show. They were promoting a recording that they had done together at the time.

Mellow is probably putting it kindly. That was an awful album by two great musicians.

I'm glad to hear someone else feels that way about that duo album. I bought it when it was released and I was soooo disappointed.

Back in November I saw Wayne and his band w/Danilo Perez and he/they were amazing. Wayne didn't say a word to the audience but he sure said a few things with his horns.

It's pretty low-key, for sure. Not what I was expceted, but I listened enough to engage at some point.

I think there's some meat there, it's just sliced very thinly. Whether or not that was the intent, I haven't a clue. Maybe it's a Buddhist thing and I don't understand.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...