Something Not Quite Right Here?

Dan Gould

Got this email today:

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Customers who have purchased or rated music by John Patton might like to know that Got A Good Thing Goin' On is now available. You can order yours for just $9.04 by following the link below.

Got A Good Thing Goin' On

Big John Patton

Price:

$9.04

Ships from and sold by garagesalesabbatical

Product Description

Got A Good Thing Goin' On by Big John Patton

This product is manufactured on demand using CD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply.

Doesn't this mean that some Amazon Marketplace seller is making CDRs and selling them? Has Amazon transferred rights to manufacture CDRs "on demand" to select Tom, Dick and Harrys? Seems questionable to me but I guess its kosher.

Got this email today:

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Customers who have purchased or rated music by John Patton might like to know that Got A Good Thing Goin' On is now available. You can order yours for just $9.04 by following the link below.

Got A Good Thing Goin' On

Big John Patton

Price:

$9.04

Ships from and sold by garagesalesabbatical

Product Description

Got A Good Thing Goin' On by Big John Patton

This product is manufactured on demand using CD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply.

Doesn't this mean that some Amazon Marketplace seller is making CDRs and selling them? Has Amazon transferred rights to manufacture CDRs "on demand" to select Tom, Dick and Harrys? Seems questionable to me but I guess its kosher.

I thought they had contracted with (a single) 3rd party to do this for them, but I could be wrong. I have bought a couple of these over the past year (?) or so. Sound-wise seemed fine, but you could tell on the graphics.

Kind of raises an interesting question - do you download somewhere or get the CD-R (both through legal channels of course)? All things being equal I am a "physical media" kind of guy, but this seems to diminish when the physical product is "not quite" the real thing.

Edited by Eric

Bought a recent Phil Woods CDR from Amazon - Phil Woods and Strings - The Thrill is Gone. Looks like it was a Venus release, recorded just 2 or 3 years ago. Cover art and personnel only, no liner notes. Great CD, wherever it came from - Phil with a rhythm section and a small string section - highly recommended to Phil fans.

Edited by John Tapscott

• 2 months later...

Bought a recent Phil Woods CDR from Amazon - Phil Woods and Strings - The Thrill is Gone. Looks like it was a Venus release, recorded just 2 or 3 years ago. Cover art and personnel only, no liner notes. Great CD, wherever it came from - Phil with a rhythm section and a small string section - highly recommended to Phil fans.

Can you say a bit more? I might be interested in picking up some Venus titles this way if the packaging is a facsimile of the original.