Dexter Gordon Columbia single - Isn't She Lovely?

jeffcrom

I have a Columbia white-label promo single of Dexter Gordon playing "Isn't She Lovely" - mono on one side, stereo on the other. It's Columbia 3-19565, arranged by Leon Pendarvis and produced by Michael Cuscuna. According to the Lord discography, it was recorded in December, 1976; He doesn't list any other issues except this one. The studio band includes Cornell Dupree, Steve Khan, and Mike Mainieri. Musically, it won't change anyone's life, but it is Dexter, and his playing is pretty damn good.

So was this a promo-only issue? Did it ever appear on a regular single or album? Is it on the new complete Columbia album collection?

Is it on the new complete Columbia album collection?

Yes, Isn't She Lovely (3:22) is the last track in the whole package,

track 6 of CD 7 "Bonus Tracks".

Dexter Gordon, tenor saxophone

Mike Mainieri, vibes

Leon Pendarvis, piano

Steve Kahn, Cornell Dupree, guitars

Bob Babbit, elctric bass

Chris Parker, drums

Errol Crusher Bennett, percussion

String Section

Arranged by Leon Pendarvis

Produced by Michael Cuscuna

Recorded at Columbia Studios, NYC

and San Francisco in December of 1976

Originally issued in 1977 as

Columbia single 3-10565

By the way, it can be confusing referring to this as a 7-CD package as there are only 6 sleeves. Homecoming (Live at The Villlage Vanguard) is 2 CDs in a single fold-out. And the bonus tracks are in a sleeve that has that great Euro-ballroom picture of Dexter that was used on the LP of Great Encounters, and it says that. But it's all bonus tracks, and there are bonuses elswhere in the box, too.

Edited by Ted O'Reilly

How does it compare to Sonny Rollins' version (which I'm actually pretty fond of?

Hmmm, well, they're similar in that - and this is just my opinion, of course - Dexter and Sonny are both playing good enough, but not stretching themselves. I don't want to use the word "coasting," because that's overstating it. But on both versions, the tenor playing is, well, just fine. Not much more than that, to my ears.

Of course, Dexter is playing with an inflexible studio band and Sonny is playing with a real rhythm section, but even Sonny's band don't seem real responsive on this track.

I think I like Dexter's record better. I guess what I'm saying is that I like second-tier Dexter more than second-tier Sonny. Now, when Newk is on his game, that's another story.

I'm listening to Easy Living on vinyl right now, and for what it's worth, it's an album I always want to like more than I do. And "Isn't She Lovely" is probably my least favorite track. I do remember hearing it on Atlanta's AM R & B radio stations back in the day, and thinking how cool it was to hear Rollins on AM radio.

Seems when I ordered this set, a lot of questions started appearing. I'm on the bonus tracks of "Gotham City", the interview with Dex, great to hear that voice though. These little extras are nice to have.

The interviews with Dex were also one of the highlights of the Gordon Blue Note box. He was a very interesting and intelligent man.