A Miles Davis stamp

brownie

Don't care for the design (picture) of the Miles Davis stamp. But it's better than nothing.

I have the feeling that's just SOME picture of Miles that they happened to get a clearence on for the online article. Not sure it's the actual stamp.

Also, that photo of Miles from the Don Cheadle article is definitely not from 1977. It's from the same session as the cover of the Mosaic Bitches Brew set. 1969, probably. These people should get their stuff right. Just sayin... :tophat:

(From that link:)

"This is a fitting honor," said Lee Barham, chairman of the steering committee for the Miles Davis Jazz Celebration. "Miles Davis was one of the greatest jazz musicians and trumpet players in the world. Before Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley, there was Miles Davis."

I'm not quite getting the references. Does Barham think Michael and Elvis were jazz trumpeters? Or is he just throwing out Famous Names?

"This is a fitting honor," said Lee Barham, chairman of the steering committee for the Miles Davis Jazz Celebration. "Miles Davis was one of the greatest jazz musicians and trumpet players in the world. Before Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley, there was Miles Davis."

I'm not quite getting the references. Does Barham think Michael and Elvis were jazz trumpeters? Or is he just throwing out Famous Names?

I think he's referring to what Miles wanted to be.

I think he's saying that Miles was famous before either one of those guys even got started. If so he's right. The inference being that Miles should have gotten a stamp long before Elvis or MJ did.

Btw, that Jack Johnson cover is my favorite photo of the man. It just oozes cool.

I think he's saying that Miles was famous before either one of those guys even got started. If so he's right. The inference being that Miles should have gotten a stamp long before Elvis or MJ did.

Btw, that Jack Johnson cover is my favorite photo of the man. It just oozes cool.

Not to make a big deal, but Elvis was famous in 1956. In 1956, Miles was much less of a star. He was playing clubs and was known in the jazz world, but not to music audiences in general.

Edited by paul secor

Not to make a big deal, but Elvis was famous in 1956. In 1956, Miles was much less of a star. He was playing clubs and was known in the jazz world, but not to music audiences in general.

I guess it's just Famous Names in Music. But he could have used Al Jolson, Duke Ellington, Bing Crosby, Lauritz Melchior, Helen Morgan, The Mills Brothers... There were LOTS of Famous Names in Music before Michael and Elvis.

I suppose it tells more about Mr. Barham than about Miles.

Maybe so, but Elvis was less famous in the center of the universe.