Clare Fischer RIP

Teasing the Korean

Fischer did a record for Columbia, "Songs For Rainy Day Lovers" that had just about the best use of a string section in jazz that I've ever heard. Truly rich writing for them, not just background pads.

Yes indeed. It's the only album I have by him outside of his playing with Cal Tjader. A solid keyboard player and excellent arranger.

I was unaware of this album until hearing about it here. Found a good copy on eBay, just got it today.Very nice indeed, one of those rare MOR records that you can easily ignore while it's playing, but full of delightful "WTF?" moments if you start listening. I laways get a kick out of stuff like that, it's like, well, you didn't have to do that, ya' know, not for this gig, but you did anyway, and you got by with it, so...god bless you for that.

Also wondering how album-producer Albert Marx got it to Columbia. Did he have any other product released on the label during that time?

Anyway, once again, the membership of the O-Board once again repeatedly points out the most reclusive gems there are to be out-pointed. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Fischer did a record for Columbia, "Songs For Rainy Day Lovers" that had just about the best use of a string section in jazz that I've ever heard. Truly rich writing for them, not just background pads.

Yes indeed. It's the only album I have by him outside of his playing with Cal Tjader. A solid keyboard player and excellent arranger.

I was unaware of this album until hearing about it here. Found a good copy on eBay, just got it today.Very nice indeed, one of those rare MOR records that you can easily ignore while it's playing, but full of delightful "WTF?" moments if you start listening. I laways get a kick out of stuff like that, it's like, well, you didn't have to do that, ya' know, not for this gig, but you did anyway, and you got by with it, so...god bless you for that.

Also wondering how album-producer Albert Marx got it to Columbia. Did he have any other product released on the label during that time?

Anyway, once again, the membership of the O-Board once again repeatedly points out the most reclusive gems there are to be out-pointed. Thanks!

Followed the advice and picked a copy of this LP, very nice and well above expectations. I probably still prefer Extension but this is well worth hearing.

• 3 years later...

Listening now to disc one of the Joe Pass Mosaic, and I'm struck by Clare Fischer's comping in the background. It's really interesting stuff to listen to. While it's very different from, say, Sonny Clark's comping, it's similar in that he takes what's essentially a support role and makes listening to a quartet a much richer experience. His solos, too: trenchant, never obtrusive, but lets you think there's a heavyweight mind behind those fingers. Really enjoyable (Pass is an MF too).