Parostatik Disc preeners....any reason they have disappeared?

BERIGAN

My Dad's ol' Sony Record player has been taken out of retirement(I'm betting it had been 10+ years since we spinned a record on it!) And have been converted like many others to the joy of record playing, after so many years of thinking Cds were the be all and the end all. Anyway, did you know records really, really attract dust and dirt? Who knew? :shrug[1]: Was using compressed air(Don't have too light a grip on the record!) but of course that only gets the bigger chunks. And some stuff floats back to the record if you don't run fast enough out of the room you used the compressed air in... Was looking into record cleaners, and didn't see a lot of affordable options. In fact, considering the semi comeback records have made, I was surprised how few choices there are out here. Figured all the black roller thingys we had were lone gone, but what do you know, right next to my Dad's Mac 60, there was one of them! a Parostatik Disc preener. Works pretty well...but I am using it dry. Is that a bad idea? Should a wet the "bristles" with something? Or should I just go back to listening to nothing but cds, and make my life less complicated? :unsure:

Edited by BERIGAN

Ah, thanks! Looked up the audioquest, do you do what this reviewer says, or do you find it works fine with "dirty" records?

Most importantly, if your record is dirty, do not contaminate your brush with it. You will harm both.

This brush is for new and washed records between plays.

I think a carbon-fiber brush ($10-15) is good to use prior to playing a clean record.

1248646162_474_w390_h390.jpg

Although it's not nearly as good as a vacuum machine, a wet-brush system like the MoFi (with replaceable pads and solution) is good for a more thorough cleaning.

mofi_cleaner_package.jpg

That's pretty much my approach to it. I use the Audioquest and have no issues with it. Very occasionally I use a spray like "Phoenix" from Sleeve City to wipe off a fingerprint. I never "wash" records. Someone from Rega once told me that they recommend against that; good enough for me.

Ah, thanks! Looked up the audioquest, do you do what this reviewer says, or do you find it works fine with "dirty" records?

Most importantly, if your record is dirty, do not contaminate your brush with it. You will harm both.

This brush is for new and washed records between plays.

No, I wouldn't use a carbon fiber brush on visibly dirty vinyl, both for the reason cited and for the fact that I don't think it will clean the record.

Also, I don't think you necessarily need to buy an Audioquest brush, which is typically 2-3 times more expensive than other ones that almost identical.

And as far as Allen's comment goes, I'm suspect he showers with a lot of other, more unusual items than vinyl. :w

Edited by sonnymax

I've used my trusty Discwasher D4 for decades. I will say that I think my old late 70s era brush is a lot better than the new ones in getting out heavy grunge. I also think that they changed the formula of the D4 liquid. The stuff I buy today smells weird.

I used to zap my records with a Zerostat gun before cleaning with the D4 brush, but my old one died and a new "Milty" model is $100. Too much for what little it did.

• 3 weeks later...

I've used my trusty Discwasher D4 for decades. I will say that I think my old late 70s era brush is a lot better than the new ones in getting out heavy grunge. I also think that they changed the formula of the D4 liquid. The stuff I buy today smells weird.

I used to zap my records with a Zerostat gun before cleaning with the D4 brush, but my old one died and a new "Milty" model is $100. Too much for what little it did.

Did use guys see the comments on this cleaner? Seems they have cheaped out and they aren't so good anymore. The good news though is that Crosly seems to make a very nice one like the old Discwashers...(you should see them down the page)

if you get into vinyl then a wet vacuum RCM is a good investment. The price of these seem to have increased steeply in recent years (exchange rates?) . I got a Clear Audio Smart Matrix in 2007 at around £350- which I thought was expensive at the time. I think they are now over £700 which is of course a very serious investment. The up side is that it prevents your stylus looking like it's ploughed a field, so in theory you should get more life from it in addition to fewer crackles. Without one I'd be tempted to use a microfibre brush like this in addition to a non offensive cleaner or ionised water. One brush to apply cleaner the other to remove/dry the record. It's what I did prior to having a RCM and it worked reasonably well on dirty records which I'd otherwise be cautious playing.

ClearaudioPureGroove550.jpg