Who heard them already: New Fantasy SACDs

tjobbe

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Tjobbe,

I just ordered the Cannonball and the Art Pepper SACDs from cduniverse.com ($14 promo). Maybe I'll get the Massey Hall too (but it was still $20 there).

I already have the Pepper on a K2 CD and will be able to compare. The first SACD batch from Fantasy wasn't that great from the sonic point of view (except the Gil Evans), so I'll use this comparision to see if upgrade is worth it. I don't expect the SACDs to be better than DCC remastered CDs.

The Cannonball will be available on January 27 only, so it will take some before I can report on those discs.

I have the Monk/Trane set and it seems like a nice improvement, with Trane esp vivid. I also have the Wes ("Incredible ...") and sadly it is not that much better. But, this one has always sounded kinda lousy to me, so maybe a bad test case. Anyway, I do plan to dip my toe in for selected titles again.

Eric

I have the Monk/Trane set and it seems like a nice improvement, with Trane esp vivid. I also have the Wes ("Incredible ...") and sadly it is not that much better. But, this one has always sounded kinda lousy to me, so maybe a bad test case. Anyway, I do plan to dip my toe in for selected titles again.

Eric

Hi Eric,

guess you are talking about the first batch Fantasy released last year... (as those I mostly do have)

Cheers, Tjobbe

P.S. but I'm sharing your comments as the Wes is not the one I would have release in HiRes....

Hi All,

the 20th, January is getting near and I would like to know who of you fellow americans had the pleasure to put his hands on one of the second batch of Fantasy SACD's ?

Any feedback so far ?

Cheers, Tjobbe

Furthermore, could anyone comment on the CD sound of the hybrids? I only have a CD player and was thinking of picking up Dolphy's Out There. I don't own it yet and am not sure whether I want to pay almost double the price.

Guy

the main reason why I asked is that I have e.g the Art Pepper or the Dolphy already as "normal" german ZYX 20bit remaster and already there the Pepper sounded great, but I know from other recordings that some re-masters (e.g. the Analogue Productions) do get much more out of the original tapes.

Unfortunally (as Claude mentioned) the first batch was rather not using the sonically best recordings but maybe some best selling ones.

Cheers, Tjobbe

Furthermore, could anyone comment on the CD sound of the hybrids? I only have a CD player and was thinking of picking up Dolphy's Out There. I don't own it yet and am not sure whether I want to pay almost double the price.

Guy

let me say it that way Guy, my experience with some hybrids is that they are even as good if not better normal CD's and a good choice

And often they are on a K2 re-master level (some techies do believe that an SBM "downgrade" of the DSD track is done to produce the red-book layer). So if you get them on promotion and compare with prieces of the K" remasters Fanatsy did, you're not to bad when it comes to pricing

Cheers, Tjobbe

the main reason why I asked is that I have e.g the Art Pepper or the Dolphy already as "normal" german ZYX 20bit remaster and already there the Pepper sounded great

I had the Art Pepper+Eleven ZYX CD too, and then got the US K2 remastered version, which sounds much better, although the ZYX is one of their most acceptable remasterings.

But I have doubts that there is much difference between the K2 CDs and SACDs, because the K2s are very good transfers, done by the XRCD engineers.

So while I would hesitate to upgrade from K2s (or XRCDs) to the SACDs, I would buy the SACDs if I only had an unsatisfactory early remaster or a ZYX CD. At discounted prices, they are not more expensive than the K2s.

I ordered the Art Pepper for comparision.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

an update from my side:

I recieved some news from ZYX today that they will release the following SACD's in Europe on 15th March:

CSA 7568-6 Modern Jazz Classics PEPPER, ART + ELEVEN

DSA 124-6 Jazz At Massey Hall QUINTET, THE

NJSA 8252-6 Out There DOLPHY, ERIC

NJSA 8276-6 Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane BURRELL, KENNY & COLTRANE

PRSA 7047-6 Tenor Madness ROLLINS, SONY

PRSA 7129-6 Relaxin DAVIS, MILES / QUINTET

RISA 1142-6 Kelly Blue KELLY, WYNTON / TRIO & SEXTET

RISA 1157-6 In San Francisco ADDERLEY, CHANNOBALL / QUINTET

SXSA 88002-6 Shaft HAYES, ISSAC

Prices not 100% clear but I paid roughly 15€ each for a batch of 5 last time.

As with the last batch they will take the US master and simply use this, so no fear of the famous mastering technique here.. :g

Best regards, Tjobbe

I received my order from CDUniverse today. All the Fantasy SACDs are mastered by Fantasy at Berkeley, whereas the latest K2 CD versions were remastered at JVC. This lets one expect at least a difference in remastering.

- Art Pepper + Eleven sounds very smooth and full, without lacking detail. In comparision, the US K2 CD version sounds a bit steely and at the same time muddy. The upgrade was definitely worth it. This is my 4th digital version of this album :wub:

- The Quintet - Jazz at Massey Hall sounds much better than on my late 80's CD, but this is most likely due to the remastering. I haven't heard the K2 version. This is no audiophile recording of course, and is has some drop outs too, like the previous CD versions

I have yet to give Cannonball Adderley - In San Francisco a listen

The Cannonball Adderley SACD is another sonic winner (I assume that the music on these SACDs is well known). I have no CD to compare it with (I gave the CD away before receiving the SACD), so I limit myself to the absolute sound quality.

It is an excellent live recording, very natural and lively. The only flaws are the boxy sound of the piano (recorded with just one microphone) and the saturation of the mic or tape during the loudest bass drum hits.

Like the others, this SACD sounds very smooth, with no trace of harshness. I don't know if this is due to the hi-rez technology or the remastering, but it seems that Fantasy has achieved true audiophile quality with this SACD batch (with reservations on the recording quality of the Massey Hall disc). I can't see how MFSL or Analogue Productions could have done better. The Cannonball SACD has been remastered by Kirk Felton, the other two by Joe Tarantino.

Edited by Claude

I just received the Wynton Kelly (Kelly Blue), Miles Davis (Relaxin') and Eric Dolphy (Out There) hybrids, and I'm waiting for the Cannonball Adderley (In San Francisco). I'll compare the CD layers with my XRCDs (Kelly, Miles), U.S. 20-bit K2 (Adderley) and Japanese 20-bit Digital K2 (Dolphy)

I've compared the XRCD and CD-layer of

508751.jpg

and the SACD is a clear winner. It's warmer, yet more detailed and transparent than the XRCD.

The SACD is highly recommended, and, most important of all, the music is great!

Edited by J.A.W.