Roscoe Mitchell on BBC Radio 3

Can I recommend a programme on the BBC this evening? It's a recording of Roscoe Mitchell, who played in London last weekend at Cafe Oto...I was there for both nights of his two-night residency, and it was a really special gig...a trio with John Edwards on bass, and Tony Marsh on drums. Here's a link. [i was also lucky enough to spend some time with Roscoe on the second day, and there's a portion of an interview I did with him in the middle of the programme.]

Can I recommend a programme on the BBC this evening? It's a recording of Roscoe Mitchell, who played in London last weekend at Cafe Oto...I was there for both nights of his two-night residency, and it was a really special gig...a trio with John Edwards on bass, and Tony Marsh on drums. Here's a link. [i was also lucky enough to spend some time with Roscoe on the second day, and there's a portion of an interview I did with him in the middle of the programme.]

Thanks will record this tonight, have you told Jez that you frequent a jazz bulletin board of ill repute?? ..........seriously, I bet interviewing Roscoe was interesting & that Cafe Oto sounds like a really cool place,. pity I live 400 miles away.

Adrian - yes, it's a really wonderful place, both to play and listen. The atmosphere can be *really* electric in there! A real privilege to interview him - not only was he a great guy, but I really came away with serious food for thought about music in general...which is perhaps more than you could typically ask for a 45-minute chat with someone...

And Mark - indeed, packed, which was great!

I know I should go and sit on the naughty step but I've only just today ordered "Sound". I recall thinking I'd wait for a nice LP copy but having heard a few vintage Delmarks I'm probably better off with the CD. I have all the Nessas but not Chuck's first (?) The review on Amazon says that Snurdy is 5 stars where as Sound is 10. It also suggests that "Snurdy" was a backward step from Sound/ Noonah. Don't see that myself.

I know I should go and sit on the naughty step but I've only just today ordered "Sound". I recall thinking I'd wait for a nice LP copy but having heard a few vintage Delmarks I'm probably better off with the CD. I have all the Nessas but not Chuck's first (?) The review on Amazon says that Snurdy is 5 stars where as Sound is 10. It also suggests that "Snurdy" was a backward step from Sound/ Noonah. Don't see that myself.

People can post any opinion they want on Amazon. Amazon opinions/reviews may or may not have any foundation. A strength and a weakness of democracy.

Edited by paul secor

They're so very different -- one (Nonaah) primary a solo album, even a workshop recording, the other (Snurdy McGurdy and Her Dancin' Shoes) an ensemble recording melding together creative musicians from two sympathetic scenes. Both great. In fact both featuring the composition "Sing" if you get the double CD of Nonaah.

Don't forget "Before There Was Sound." If you've never fully experienced "Sound," it would be cool to hear the earlier recording first, then wade in.

Edited by Lazaro Vega

They're so very different -- one primary a solo album, even a workshop recording, the other an ensemble recording melding together creative musicians from two sympathetic scenes. Both great. Don't forget "Before There Was Sound." If you've never fully experienced "Sound," it would be cool to hear the earlier recording first, then wade in.

I already have "Before there was sound". And very fine it is too.

I was there on the second night. It was indeed special. Marsh (who stood up to play his set of percussion instruments) and Edwards are quite something on their own right.

As for Café Oto, most of the gigs I've seen there have been good to great. Especially intense was Darcy James Argue's, whose big band took a lot of the tiny room and still sounded beautiful.

They've started their own record label, one Brötzmann vinyl so far.

F