Six "forbidden" foods that are OK

That's great, Pete! What I've always wondered is...If these food are such poison, how has mankind made it for over 100,000 years eating them?

Uh...

"If modern sewer systems are so great for public health, why did mankind endure for 100,000 years without them?"

"If guaranteed health care is such a good idea, why did the human race manage to do well enough to get to AD 1900 without it?"

"If sleeping exposed in near-freezing temperatures with substandard clothing is such a dumb idea, how did enough Cro-Magnons manage to do it that we're here today?"

While I think a lot of nutritional panicking about this food or that is probably overblown if not outright wrong, there is not a contradiction between saying "this food is bad for you if you want a reasonably long life" and "people could eat this food without it wiping out all of humanity." A species only has to live to reproductive age (i.e., 15 years old for us) for it to not go extinct. Prehistoric people had much shorter lifespans, and it's not a huge stretch to think that at least some of that was caused by poor nutrition.

Edited by Big Wheel

Yes, but poor nutrition of our prehistoric ancestors was probably due mainly to not ENOUGH food, rather than the wrong kinds. Malnutrition, in other words.

Of course - I didn't mean to imply that there were a bunch of Stone Age types dropping dead of heart disease at 20 because they were eating lots of raw gazelle fat. Just that appealing to Stone Age notions of nutrition as "not bad for you because, after all, we exist today" is a shifting of the burden of proof that makes no sense. Our whole notion of "bad for you" is predicated on a lifespan that most of those people could barely dream of.

Edited by Big Wheel

How do chitterlings relate to the chitlin circuit?

Well, chitterlings/chitlin being a kind of iconic soul food, popular with southern as well as northern urban black people, the name was attached to bookings at southern black venues as well as northern ghetto venues, places that would normally have an all or mostly black audience.

had a Cobb salad for lunch today which, aside from the regular ingredients, included small pork belly pieces and a poached egg. it was delish!

You da woman.

How do chitterlings relate to the chitlin circuit?

Well, chitterlings/chitlin being a kind of iconic soul food, popular with southern as well as northern urban black people, the name was attached to bookings at southern black venues as well as northern ghetto venues, places that would normally have an all or mostly black audience.

I see! Thought I'd read something going in that direction already, but wasn't sure any more...

It's a good thing I didn't know these were forbidden...

Seriously... America's obesity problem isn't being caused by people eating too many avocadoes or walnuts.

I think the article is targeted at a certain middle-class reader between about 45 and 70 who spent the 1990s with various talking heads shouting at them about the cardiac danger of all dietary fat and cholesterol. Certainly I remember the years when my dad banned egg yolks from the house and had periodic meltdowns over things like Cracklin' Oat Bran (contains palm oil) and shellfish (lots of cholesterol).