MLB 2012 Season

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pablo Sandaval out 4-6 weeks with a broken hemate bone in his hand. Major bummer, the Giants' offense just went from bad to worse. I'm just not feeling the vibe with this edition of the Giants. Brandon Crawford looks awful at short right now, he just made another error. Yikes!

I just keep telling myself: It's still early.

Ugh.

An amazingly bad call by the umps in the Rockies vs. Dodgers game:

Blown call...by a mile.

Man, that's like the third no-no this year, isn't it?

Combining those two trains of thought...

location.php-pitchSel=450308&game=gid_2012_05_02_minmlb_anamlb_1&batterX=&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=.gif

It be's that way sometimes, no doubt. I'm just sayin'...

Looking at the chart, it's amazing how, with all the lefties on the Twin line-up, Weaver camped out on the inside corner, and he never left. Only nine pitches on the right side! I wonder if Weaver got more on the inside calls as the game went on?

Edited by Matthew

Those lefties must not have been up on the plate at all, if the location of some of those called strikes is accurate.

I still don't know how much stock to put in those charts, but you see something like this and you gotta wonder "wtf?" in some form or fashion.

Those lefties must not have been up on the plate at all, if the location of some of those called strikes is accurate.

I still don't know how much stock to put in those charts, but you see something like this and you gotta wonder "wtf?" in some form or fashion.

You'd think the batting coach would say: "Hey, he pitching inside, get off the plate a bit." I mean, if you're the Twins, how do you not get what the pitching pattern is?

Yeah, that happened too! Amazing night of baseball!!!!

I'm sure everyone's dying to read about the braves-Phils game, :crazy:

Carlos Ruiz had 7 RBI's, setting a record for Phillie catchers, and it's lost in all the other craziness

Concerned about Halladay. He has not looked good the past couple of starts. Velocity is down too.

Ugh.

Halladay leaves Phillies for personal reasons

Edited by J.H. Deeley

You'd think the batting coach would say: "Hey, he pitching inside, get off the plate a bit." I mean, if you're the Twins, how do you not get what the pitching pattern is?

otoh, the Twins do not seem to be getting too much of anything these days...don't know what happened there...

Video here of Rivera's injury. Looks bad, I hope he's okay, he's the one and only Yankee that I can tolerate. Classy, quiet player, just goes about his business, doesn't date movie stars, or kiss his own reflection -- how he ever got on the Yankees, Ill never know.

Edit to spell Mo's name correctly

Edited by Matthew

I guess when it's time to go, it's time to go. Before the season began, I felt that this one would be his last.

It's been a pleasure to watch Mariano pitch over the years.

He was/is the consummate professional. In a town and a lineup filled with seekers of the limelight, he just went about his business. Easily the best there's ever been and perhaps the best there ever will be. We should consider ourselves fortunate to have seen him work.

I guess when it's time to go, it's time to go. Before the season began, I felt that this one would be his last.

It's been a pleasure to watch Mariano pitch over the years.

He was/is the consummate professional. In a town and a lineup filled with seekers of the limelight, he just went about his business. Easily the best there's ever been and perhaps the best there ever will be. We should consider ourselves fortunate to have seen him work.

Even us professional Yankee haters can't hate on Mo, pure class as a person and player. Hope he comes back.

On a personal note: I announced my last HS baseball game last night. After 23 years, it's time for me to step aside and let some other guy take a whack at it. The team I announced for won so it was cool to go out on top of my game and with a win.

It was a good run, but it was time.

Announcing? Radio or PA?

Either way, it's a good thing. Always wanted to do radio, but there's not much of a market for unpredictable stuttering in that market. Did PA for youth ball back home for a summer or two, though, and loved it.

Announcing? Radio or PA?

Either way, it's a good thing. Always wanted to do radio, but there's not much of a market for unpredictable stuttering in that market. Did PA for youth ball back home for a summer or two, though, and loved it.

Stadium announcer...and it was a blast ^_^

I know it was!

Did you do any between-innings banter? Ads, birthdays, anything?

Sounds like a great gig, indeed!

I did R-H-E and the score at the end of each half inning. Then I'd play "ballpark" music; stuff you'd hear at a pro stadium. Did some ads or hawk the snack bar items. No birthdays, though. Coaches thought it would be a distraction.

During the game I'd announce the position and/or number along with the name of each player at bat. Announced PRs and PHs as well as defensive subsitutions and pitching changes.

Before the game, I did a welcome, ran through the roster of each team's starters and then a National Anthem announcement. Either a student would sing it live or I'd play a version of the Star-Spangled Banner on the CD changer.

End of the game, R-H-E and the final score with a thank you for attending/drive safely ending. Yesterday, I announced my good-bye...and I will miss it.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Congrats GS!

You wouldn't know it looking at the 10+ stories on the right hand side bar on espn's baseball page, but 40 Year old Chipper Jones drove in 5 RBI's last night. Wonder how many times a 40 y.o. has done that?

Not bad for a guy who just had his 6th knee operation in March. On pace for 104 games, 382 AB's 29 HR's 122 RBis, and has a .318 BA. If he keeps up those numbers, not a bad way to go out! :crazy:

Congrats GS!

Indeed!

You wouldn't know it looking at the 10+ stories on the right hand side bar on espn's baseball page, but 40 Year old Chipper Jones drove in 5 RBI's last night. Wonder how many times a 40 y.o. has done that?

He keeps good company. A few I found include (these were the first names that popped in my head and then I stopped):

Age 41 - Teddy Ballgame 2 HR, 6 RBI

Age 41 - Stan Musial 3 HR, 4 RBI (as w/ Williams' last season, Stan's 1962 is one of the great "old man" seasons)

Age 40 - Edgarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Martinez 2 HR, 5 RBI

Age 41 - Dave Winfield 1 HR, 5 RBI (so nice he did it twice)

Um...and one of GoodSpeak's favorites who is just a little bit controversial so I won't write his name, knocked in 6 at age 42. :w