MLB 2012 Season

Congrats GS!

Indeed!

You wouldn't know it looking at the 10+ stories on the right hand side bar on espn's baseball page, but 40 Year old Chipper Jones drove in 5 RBI's last night. Wonder how many times a 40 y.o. has done that?

He keeps good company. A few I found include (these were the first names that popped in my head and then I stopped):

Age 41 - Teddy Ballgame 2 HR, 6 RBI

Age 41 - Stan Musial 3 HR, 4 RBI (as w/ Williams' last season, Stan's 1962 is one of the great "old man" seasons)

Age 40 - Edgarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Martinez 2 HR, 5 RBI

Age 41 - Dave Winfield 1 HR, 5 RBI (so nice he did it twice)

Um...and one of GoodSpeak's favorites who is just a little bit controversial so I won't write his name, knocked in 6 at age 42. :w

You mean the GREAT HR King Barry Bonds....?

I like it :tup^_^

Edited by GoodSpeak

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cole Hamels on hitting Bryce Harper with a pitch:

"I was trying to hit him. I'm not going to deny it. It's something I grew up watching. That's what happened. I'm just trying to continue the old baseball. Some people get away from it. I remember when I was a rookie, the strike zone was really, really small and you didn't say anything. That's the way baseball is. Sometimes the league is protecting certain players. It's that old-school prestigious way of baseball."I'm not going to injure a guy. They're probably not going to like me for it but I'm not going to lie and say I wasn't trying to do it. I think they understood the message and they threw it right back. That's the way, and I respect it. They can say whatever they want."

One the one hand...

Now, having said that...

A first for me - I attended a game that actually made Sportscenter's Top 10 Plays.

The Corpus Christi Hooks (Astros AA team) game on Saturday night versus the San Antonio Missions (Mariners AA team) featured two outfielders crashing over the bullpen fence (which was maybe 4' high or so) attempting to catch a ball that would have been a home run. They crashed into each other and flipped over the wall, and the left fielder came up with the ball in his glove for the out.

It looked far more impressive in person than on the replay, but still cool to see it make the Top 10!

Cole Hamels on hitting Bryce Harper with a pitch:

"I was trying to hit him. I'm not going to deny it. It's something I grew up watching. That's what happened. I'm just trying to continue the old baseball. Some people get away from it. I remember when I was a rookie, the strike zone was really, really small and you didn't say anything. That's the way baseball is. Sometimes the league is protecting certain players. It's that old-school prestigious way of baseball."I'm not going to injure a guy. They're probably not going to like me for it but I'm not going to lie and say I wasn't trying to do it. I think they understood the message and they threw it right back. That's the way, and I respect it. They can say whatever they want."

One the one hand...

Now, having said that...

He better hope that he doesn't line up with Strassberg the next time he faces the Nats. What an asshole!!!

Perfect game in Chicago (on the South Side). Pitcher appeared to get bailed out a bit on the last pitch of the game.

And tonight Humber gave up 8 in 2 1/3 vs. Cleveland. In 5 starts he has an ERA of 6.83 w/ the perfect game factored in. :blink:

edit - the link didin't have tonight's game included at the time of the post.

Edited by Quincy

Mets pulled a nice one out against the Phillies last night. Just when it seemed that Halliday was on cruise control, Mets tie and then a rookie gets his first major league hit, a three run pinch homer, against Papelbon. So far, the Mets have a little resiliency this year. When it seems they're going to fall below 500, they manage to win a few and stay afloat.

What's this stuff about one strike zone for rookies or unproven players and another one for veterans and stars? That system needs to be done away with immediately, and any umpire upholding such inconsistency should be disciplined/fired.

(That'll be the day! Ha! But I think the zone should be consistent.)

Anyway, taunting Werth when he got hurt was worse than throwing at Harper, in the long run.

Doing it is old-school. Blabbing about it to the press is pretty new-school/bush-league.

It continues to be a world gone wrong, it does.

Talking about Cole Hamels.

Hamels is just plain dumb to have said what he said. You don't have to be smart to play baseball, but it helps sometimes.

Edited by paul secor

Speaking of Philadelphia Washington, there was an article in Monday's New York Times about Nationals management trying to keep Philly fans away from their stadium.

See Uninvited, Philly Fans Still March In

I think we had this same conversation about Phillies fans last season.

"Philadelphia sports fans are often described as an invading army, troublemaking hooligans or a projectile-hurling menace to civility in the stands."

Guess I wasn't that far off, was I. Hm. <_<

Edited by GoodSpeak

Anyway, taunting Werth when he got hurt was worse than throwing at Harper, in the long run.

How does he know that they were Philly fans?? It was prolly Nats fans tired of seeing him hit .220 after signing that $126M contract. ;)

Speaking of Philadelphia Washington, there was an article in Monday's New York Times about Nationals management trying to keep Philly fans away from their stadium.

See Uninvited, Philly Fans Still March In

Yawn.

There's a good remedy - start beating the Phillies with regularity. But seriously, take away the home games vs. the Phillies and what's the Nats avg. attendence? 15k? maybe 20K per game? They should be glad as hell the Philly fans travel down and spend their money. Gotta pay off Werth's contract somehow.

Mets pulled a nice one out against the Phillies last night. Just when it seemed that Halliday was on cruise control, Mets tie and then a rookie gets his first major league hit, a three run pinch homer, against Papelbon. So far, the Mets have a little resiliency this year. When it seems they're going to fall below 500, they manage to win a few and stay afloat.

That was a crazy game.

Phillies look horrible right now. I think they'll finish 80-82. If they're lucky.