Link/Image/Quote buttons

king ubu

After having been without my notebook for three or four weeks, I got it back yesterday. First thing was: got to this board, start some posting etc.

Then I noticed I could not post links or images or quotes - none of the "buttons" seem to be working.

What can I do against this? Anyone has an idea?

I am using Internet Explorer (I would not know how to use another browser, I have no knowledge about computers...)

thanks,

ubu

I haven´t got any problem with links, file attachments or quote buttons...

but sometimes I have to push the "add reply" button twice, because it doesn´t seem to work at the first time. Then I realize that sometimes it had worked that first time and I have duplicated post/thread! :angry:

try backing up in the history and clicking the add reply link again. You may want to copy the message you typed up first :g

Yes, I usually copy what I´ve written before using the "add reply" or the "backwards" button, except for a few times... and that´s when I begin to swear on every language I know swear-words :rmad: (and in that ocassions I wish I knew swajili) :P

Then I noticed I could not post links or images or quotes - none of the "buttons" seem to be working.

I'm pretty sure that Javascript is deactivated in your browser settings. Those buttons only work with Javascript enabled.

You can check this in Internet Explorer --> Tools --> Internet options --> Security --> Custom level --> Scripting: enable

Or you run a firewall that blocks Javascript code. As many websites now use Javascript, this would be too restrictive.

Edited by Claude

looks like that all black magic of reinstalling the whole shabang will be necessary. MS is like a black box at times. You change settings and nothing happens. You change them back to the original and tadaaa! problem solved. I hate it when that happens

That's a thought that occurred to me, too. Yet I will most probably need some assistance doing this - as I said, I don't know nothin' about them computers (I'm hardly smart enough to make them work the way I want...)

ubu

I too think that re-establishing the Windows/IE default settings may help. Brownie described the way to go. You can enable everything, then deactivate one by one to find out how far you can go.

Or if you use a firewall, check the programs allowed or blocked for internet.

Or download and use OPERA, like we clever cats do ... :g much easier to change settings in OPERA.

You can also install Netscape/Mozilla, which is free, whereas the free sponsored version of Opera has an ugly ad in the browser window.

http://www.mozilla.org

http://www.opera.com

If resetting the IE security settings doesn't help and no other security software deactivating javascript is installed, it may be that the Windows registry is messed up, which most certainly means that you would have to reinstall Windows.

So it's much easier to install and use a different browser. Maybe you will prefer it to the IE after some time. Mozilla and Opera both can import your IE favourites. You can continue to use Outlook Express for your email, it is not necessary to switch to the mail functions of the other browsers.

Good luck

Yes, this is possible:

- Default browser:

File --> preferences --> tick "http" and "https" and "check if opera is the default browser" and click Apply

- Import favourites:

File --> Import --> Internet Explorer favorites --> find the My favorites folder in your system

ubu, you're becoming a geek ;)

Mouse gestures allow you to do stuff that you can usually only do with a programmable mouse with many buttons, for example go back and forward in the browser history by using the mouse buttons. No need to go to the back/forward buttons on the browser interface. It saves a lot of time, especially on a laptop which only has two (sometimes three) mouse buttons.

More on that in the Opera Help pages.

Edited by Claude

Claude, do the buttons this all started about work in your Opera browser like they do in MSIE? I cannot select text and then change it by clicking a button. Also, if I insert a smiley, it ends up at the end of the message independent of where my cursor is. Do I need to update my java?

Hello Couw,

This is a well known problem on message boards. With IE, when you click on a tag button or a smilie, it is placed where your cursor is, but with Opera and Netscape, it is always placed at the end of the text you have typed.

I don't know if this is a bug in the browsers or in the message board software, but there seems to be no way around it currently.

Javascript and the Java are two different things. You can update the Jave VM, but this won't change the Javascript behaviour. Javascript works even without a Java VM installed.

Claude, do the buttons this all started about work in your Opera browser like they do in MSIE? I cannot select text and then change it by clicking a button. Also, if I insert a smiley, it ends up at the end of the message independent of where my cursor is. Do I need to update my java?

I notice this, too. Rather hard to get used to it. But over at AAJ I never was able to type something, then select it, click the bold-button. Always had to click B, then enter text in special opening window. That's even more of a pain.

ubu

Hello Couw,

This is a well known problem on message boards. With IE, when you click on a tag button or a smilie, it is placed where your cursor is, but with Opera and Netscape, it is always placed at the end of the text you have typed.

I don't know if this is a bug in the browsers or in the message board software, but there seems to be no way around it currently.

Javascript and the Java are two different things. You can update the Jave VM, but this won't change the Javascript behaviour. Javascript works even without a Java VM installed.

it seems we will just have to keep up the linear stream of thought and writing then. No backtracking in the message to place a smilie with a pepped up after the fact statement.

thanks for the explanations BTW