The most influential jazz women

kenny weir

Geri Allen - what can you say? First as part of M-base, then Ralph Peterson's group as well as on her own she has demonstrated versatility fro mainstream to the avante garde. She's creative, versatile, and exciting to listen to.

Someone who's pretty influencial in the Montreal area - Lorraine Desmarais. She's well respected and has contributed mightily to the Canadian and particularly the Montreal jazz scene. She's a ceative improviser and handles a variety of styles - hard bop, swing, fusion - equally well

Jane Bunnett - I'd say she's been instrumental (no pun intended) in bring the music, rhythms, and musicians of Cuba to the forefront and keeping them there. Made some pretty nice records too.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

It might be more interesting to know why you consider the person influential

Lil .. because she pushed Louis' career moves.. though I think he would have gone that direction by himself, maybe a little later though

Billie because she was the platform for a lot of singers who followed

Diana Krall ? are you saying she opened up a door for young, attractive ( at least when made over ) singers???? can't be a musical influence. Or because the record companies are all looking for another like her... in that case... Norah Jones... 5 grammies.. the talent scouts have got to be out scouring the bars and clubs.

Probably not incredibly 'influential', but two unique jazz women that I really like are...

June Tyson (vocalist for Sun Ra for nearly 30 years)

Ingrid Jensen (who I think is sometimes a supurb trumpeter)

And also, Joanne Brackeen, who is probably slightly more 'influential' than either Tyson or Jensen.

Oh yeah, how could we forget...

candy-s.jpg;)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I doubt it was the intention, but I have problems with the idea of separating out women - put them in the ghetto, give them their own list and then we won't have to worry about them the rest of the time. Same thing with Black History Month. In my field of public school education, I see it all the time. The grant money goes to those who use the right buzzwords and we see token acknowledgment.

"The greatest female guitarist/vibraphonist/whatever in the history of jazz!" It's demeaning, isn't it? So many amazing artists have had the same kind of bad treatment. Joni Mitchell, the greatest female singer-songwriter.

In terms of my own work, I've done a lot of research on Abbey Lincoln, Shirley Horn, and Renee Rosnes - for the same reasons I study anyone - because their music is great and individual. I don't worry so much about "influential."

I think that the "behind the scenes" world is very much worth mentioning, as others have done - Lorraine Gordon of the Village Vanguard (and formerly Blue Note Records), and a number of managers, including Gladys Hampton, Maxine Gregg, JoAnne Jimenez, and (though I don't like much of what she's done) Mary Ann Topper. Because these people aren't in the spotlight, they aren't as well known, but I think they'd rate high on a list of people in such positions, whether female or not.

Mike

• 3 years later...

I doubt it was the intention, but I have problems with the idea of separating out women - put them in the ghetto, give them their own list and then we won't have to worry about them the rest of the time. Same thing with Black History Month. In my field of public school education, I see it all the time. The grant money goes to those who use the right buzzwords and we see token acknowledgment.

"The greatest female guitarist/vibraphonist/whatever in the history of jazz!" It's demeaning, isn't it? So many amazing artists have had the same kind of bad treatment. Joni Mitchell, the greatest female singer-songwriter.

In terms of my own work, I've done a lot of research on Abbey Lincoln, Shirley Horn, and Renee Rosnes - for the same reasons I study anyone - because their music is great and individual. I don't worry so much about "influential."

I think that the "behind the scenes" world is very much worth mentioning, as others have done - Lorraine Gordon of the Village Vanguard (and formerly Blue Note Records), and a number of managers, including Gladys Hampton, Maxine Gregg, JoAnne Jimenez, and (though I don't like much of what she's done) Mary Ann Topper. Because these people aren't in the spotlight, they aren't as well known, but I think they'd rate high on a list of people in such positions, whether female or not.

Mike

well mike (wherever you are) that sure was a thread ender!

:P

• 2 weeks later...

Joni Mitchell, the greatest female singer-songwriter.

What do folks here think about Joni's run of jazz-influenced 1970s recordings? I've been thinking about checking them out (HISSING OF SUMMER LAWNS, MINGUS, COURT & SPARK, DON JUAN, etc.).

Edit: I see there's been some previous discussion here.

Edited by ghost of miles