Stupidest Comedy Movie Ever...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zohan was amusing for its sort of twisted telling of Vidal Sassoon's actual bio. The portrayal of Israelis as one part Navy SEALs, one part Eurotrash is funny and does have a certain resonance if you grew up Jewish in America. Far from a good movie though.

Other than that Billy Madison is sort of a generational classic but I'm certainly not going to say your life is incomplete if you never see it. (Never seen Happy Gilmore.)

I thought Happy Gilmore was really funny. But then I'm Canadian and it is about hockey (sort-of).

National Lampoon had foto funnies page years ago w/the joke (in typically bad ethnically-centered taste re those 'dumb' people-ha f'ing ha) being a guy catching his wife in bed w/a guy. He takes out a revolver, points it at his temple. The couple in bed laughs. 'What're you laughing at? You're NEXT!'

really? that's how SNL has worked from the beginning? the players write their own material? i wasn't aware of that... :rolleyes::w

Really John? Really? :)

I don't think Ferrell wrote most of his sketches, sorry. There have been writing teams from the start.

really? that's how SNL has worked from the beginning? the players write their own material? i wasn't aware of that... :rolleyes::w

Really John? Really? :)

I don't think Ferrell wrote most of his sketches, sorry. There have been writing teams from the start.

i was worried that my post might not have been clear, and you've confirmed my mistake. or maybe your sarcasm toward me was as unclear as my sarcasm toward JETman? ouch...

i was trying to be kind in a toned down sarcastic way. i didn't just wanna come out and say, "Uhhh... You have no idea what you're talking about." yes, of course, it's pretty well known to folks who are interested in this stuff that SNL was written (i assume is still written...) by a team of writers. i've read the awesome oral history of SNL (anyone remotely interested should just go buy it), i've recently posted here a few times on how much i love Studio 60. that series gives you a good idea how sketch comedy programs generally, and SNL specifically work. sure, performers would pitch characters to writers or maybe general situations, but there's still a division of labor between writers and players. if players write their own material for a sketch it's the exception for sure, not the rule.

i thought you trusted me jazzbo? :rofl::w:tup

Edited by thedwork

I do.

I was agreeing with you. JETman is John. I was saying, a la Seth Meyer or Amy Poeler, "Really John? Will wrote all his own material as is customary on this show? REALLY?"

Aha! gotchya. by the way, i'm John as well. i always said there are too many Johns...

Edited by thedwork

I do.

I was agreeing with you. JETman is John. I was saying, a la Seth Meyer or Amy Poeler, "Really John? Will wrote all his own material as is customary on this show? REALLY?"

Aha! gotchya. by the way, i'm John as well. i always said there are too many Johns...

When I was a kid I would have loved to have a name like John. I'm Lonson, and nobody got it. My fourth grade teacher called me Alonzo 90 percent of the time and 85 percent of the time I didn't know who she was asking for when she said "Alonzo". . . .

Anyway, sorry for the confusion.

Most Ben Stiller movies

Never got him. Very strained and nervous. Makes me uncomfortable to watch and I don't find the neurotic bit funny, at least his version. Worst was the Parents duo (I'm sure it'll be a trilogy soon). Something about Mary to me was saved by Matt Dillon.

Jerry, any day.

I found Funny People to be interesting, if not necessarily "good". Every comedian (aspiring or otherwise) I've known has been pretty dark (and not necessarily in a funny way) when not on, and this one played to that.

Funny People had the benefit of the very hot hand of Judd Apatow who is easily one of the most inspired comedy directors in recent memory (along with Wes Anderson). I attribute its success more to that than Sandler.

Edited by Shawn