Tower Records

Alec

My 10% off coupon didn't work either. But a Jazz at Preservation Hall Sampler is included, so with 25% off and free shipping, not a bad deal. I picked up Vic Dickenson (Mainstream) and Ralph Peterson (Art of War). Both are 'Low Stock' which, I've found in the past, could mean anything from 'we don't have it and won't be getting it' to ;it's in the mail next day.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

site shows Rolling Stones SACD discs for $9.99 :g

In a fit of Boomer nostalgia (I suppose) and in view of the greatly improved sound of the ABKO reissues, and throw in a great sale price, I ordered a bunch of the early Stones albums: Aftermath, Our of Our Heads, etc, etc. Listening to all the clips, I remember how much I dug the Stones-- and realize I still do. I'm looking forward to listening to them all again. Can't wait for summertime cruising around weather, so I can pop them into the car CD player next time I'm on a long drive. Rock on :g

Regarding the 10% off coupon code, the response from Towers is as follow. It seems good news to us!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your email. Please try to place the order online again with the coupon code. If it doesn't work, place the order without the coupon code and email us with it along with the order number to receive a 10% off credit for the discount. We are aware of a recent technical error with some coupons and have resolved a fix. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Big Al, I'm sending positive vibrations ... the parcel will come in. Of course, that's only if you ordered the Cecil Taylor. ;)

Well.... I'm not that much in a rush to get 'em! :g

Thanks again for the good vibes though! I just checked my order and it said that as of January 28, the order status was unknown. Maybe it's time to call 'em......

count me among those who received a coupon by email that i couldn't use. i emailed them on the 31st and they have yet to reply. i was very clear about the item i wanted (an akiyoshi import titles that's on sale) and what the price would be if i used the coupon. i just sent another email saying if i didn't hear from them in a day, they could kiss my business goodbye. actually, that's not such a big deal these days. i used to buy a lot of stuff from them, but in the past year i haven't because of their shrinking jazz catalog and increasing prices. oh well.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Chaney

SHEESH!

I also ordered a copy of Garden Part Two.

I think I might have placed my order before John and Tower now lists this title as "special order" so it looks like they're all gone.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Good luck John and thanks for the heads up, Late!

We regret to inform you that we have been unable to obtain the following item(s) (Garden Part 2) on your order, *******.  Please be aware that an "Add to Bag" button does not guarantee an item will be available, but we do make every attempt to completely fulfill orders.

:angry:

Tony, you might try contacting them and making a stink about it. I found during another Tower sale that they often don't even contact the record label or the distributor when they don't have an item in stock, and then they come back later and say they are "unable" to obtain the item you ordered. I had ordered the AEC box, and after waiting for more than a month, I contacted Chuck and he confirmed that Tower had never contacted him or his distributor. I contacted Tower and when I explained this, they found a box in one of their retail stores and honored the sale price. Perhaps bugging them about it might get them to check around their retail stores for a copy of the title you want. Just an idea...

Guest Chaney

Dear Anthony,

Thank you for writing Tower.com.  When your order was placed for this item, our buyers had contacted numerous distributors in an attempt to obtain this record for you.  Unfortunately, this title has gone out of print and is no longer available in a new copy.  You may want to check your local used record stores, or you may visit a website www.outofprint.com, which specializes in locating used copies of out of print titles.  I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.  If you have any further questions, please reply to this email, or give us a call at 800-275-8693 Monday-Friday 6am-6pm Pacific Time.

Thank you,

Chris

Customer Care

Tower.com

Oh well. No big deal as it's likely that both Garden Part 1 and Part 2 will some day be reissued as a set.

This past February, I put the reissue question to Werner Uehlinger of Hat Hut Records and received this response:

Dear Anthony,

Thank you for your interest.

Taylor's Garden and Clusone Rara Avis will be reissued at some point.

Dates not known.

Somewhat encouraging, no? :huh:

Taylor's Garden ... will be reissued at some point.

Dates not known.

Somewhat encouraging, no? :huh:

I see that you edited out Werner's mad laughter after "Dates not known."

The guy is sitting on some prime material for reissue ... but I'd agree that it all (or most, I hope) will eventually see the hatOLOGY light.

Getting more of the Braxton Quartet material with Marilyn Crispell out would be nice. At one time, hat's site listed Braxton's '79 Willisau performance, with Ray Anderson, as a pending reissue. It's seems to have since received the boot. :(

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I thought Tower was gone now.

Evidently the brick-and-mortars are. But Tower Online isn't gone.

I actually had a fairly lengthy telephone conversation with a (or "the") manager of Tower Online. It was an 800 number, but I think the online "office" is still based in Sacramento. At any rate, he said that, for the forseeable future, Tower Online will still exist — as a separate entity from "Tower Records," meaning brick-and-mortars, which of course is essentially gone at this point.

This is actually good news, but I wonder at its credibility.

Nevertheless, if you need to plug some holes in your Classics collection, now's the time! I purchased the Kenny Clarke 1946-1948 for $11.99, and it just shipped.

I thought Tower was gone now.

Good riddance.

Tower wasn't such a bad thing in its day. As recent as 1999-2000, you could find new copies of the original Blue Note Works TOCJ series for $13.99 online. They weren't always listed with a "JPN" -- you had to do a catalog # search to draw some of them up. At any rate, with some coupons (and there was always an online coupon for Tower to be found), a person could build a nice-sounding library.

Occasionally, they would mis-price stuff online, and that was cool too! :D