Favorite West Coast Classics

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of my favorite West Coast Albums include Music For Lighthousekeeping and all six volumes of The Terry Gibbs Dream Band especially Volumes 1 & 4 which features some of the greatest playing by a big band ever. I'm not sure whether it qualifies but Harold Land's The Fox really burns.

Peace,

Blue Trane

Some of my favorite West Coast Albums include Music For Lighthousekeeping and all six volumes of The Terry Gibbs Dream Band especially Volumes 1 & 4 which features some of the greatest playing by a big band ever. I'm not sure whether it qualifies but Harold Land's The Fox really burns.

Peace,

Blue Trane

"The Fox" qualifies, no doubt about it.

By some dumb luck, I decided to look around a CD Warehouse like store that sold the usual bland stuff, until I started to look in their cd section and quickly realized how much rare OOP stuff they had. A lot of it was at collector's prices but they had a copy of Bob Brookmeyer's Traditionalism Revisted sitting there for $14! I just can't believe what good luck I've been having lately finding WCC's. That's four now that I've found so far this year!

Playing the Brookmeyer now and man what a sweet date! Can't go wrong with Hall and Giuffre in the ranks.

Edited by Holy Ghost

I picked up a copy of the West Coast Classics Sampler CD last week at my local CD store.

I have most of the series and thought someone on the Board could use the 12 song Sampler to complete their collection of the entire set.

There are no liner notes provided-just song titles.

Anybody interested in a trade for another West Coast jazz cd from the 50s-early 60s?

Appears to be one track from each of the 12 Cds in the Series...

Edited by jazzkrow

This one by the Andorran thieves (Lonehill in this case) makes a nice addition to both the Shank/Perkins and Perkins' first album "On Stage":

51CN4WR559L._SS500_.jpg

It combines a pair of sessions by Perkins with Richie Kamuca and adds as a bonus the Perkins/Pepper parts from the same session that was included towards the end of the Shank/Perkins set. One track is duplicated (the one with Perkins the lone sax), and one of the Pepper tracks is missing for time restrictions.

The whole Perkins/Pepper session it seems was on this earlier BN/Pac CD:

http://www.amazon.com/Artistry-Pepper-Art/...5714&sr=1-1

That CD also contained a nonet session w/Pepper:

Art Pepper Nonet

Don Fagerquist (tp) Stu Williamson (vtb) Red Callender (tu) Art Pepper (as) Bill Holman (ts) Bud Shank (bars) Russ Freeman (p) Monty Budwig (b) Shelly Manne (d) Shorty Rogers (arr, cond)

Los Angeles, CA, August 12, 1957

Popo World Pacific JWC 510; Pacific Jazz PJ-LA 896-H; Mosaic MR3-105

Popo (alt. take) Mosaic MR3-105; Blue Note CDP 7 97194-2

Didi Pacific Jazz PJ-LA 896-H; Mosaic MR3-105

Powder Puff World Pacific JWC 511; Pacific Jazz PJ-LA 896-H; Mosaic MR3-105

Bunny World Pacific WP 1257, JWC 514; Pacific Jazz PJ-LA 896-H; Mosaic MR3-105

Diablo's Dance Pacific Jazz PJ-LA 896-H; Mosaic MR3-105

Diablo's Dance (alt. take) Blue Note CDP 7 97194-2

* Various Artists - Jazz West Coast, Vol. 4 (World Pacific JWC 510, ST 1009)

* Art Pepper Plays Shorty Rogers And Others (Pacific Jazz PJ-LA 896-H)

* The Complete Pacific Jazz Small Group Recordings Of Art Pepper (Mosaic MR3-105)

* Various Artists - Jazz West Coast, Vol. 5 (World Pacific JWC 511, ST 1031)

* Various Artists - The Sound Of Big Band Jazz In Hi Fi! (World Pacific WP 1257, ST 1015)

* Various Artists - The Sound Of Big Band Jazz In Hi Fi (World Pacific JWC 514)

* Art Pepper - The Artistry Of Pepper (Blue Note CDP 7 97194-2)

Here's the info for the Perkins session that was partly w/Shank, partly w/Pepper, plus one track Perkins + rhythm only (plus a trio track as well, I thinky):

Bill Perkins Quintet

Art Pepper (as) Bill Perkins (ts) Jimmie Rowles (p) Ben Tucker (b) Mel Lewis (d)

Los Angeles, CA, December 11, 1956

A Foggy Day Pacific Jazz PJM 401, PJ 60

Diane-A-Flow -

What Is This Thing Called Love? -

Zenobia -

* Bill Perkins/Art Pepper/Richie Kamuca - Just Friends (Pacific Jazz PJM 401; World Pacific WPM 401)

* Art Pepper - The Artistry Of Pepper (Pacific Jazz PJ 60)

I picked up a copy of the West Coast Classics Sampler CD last week at my local CD store.

I have most of the series and thought someone on the Board could use the 12 song Sampler to complete their collection of the entire set.

There are no liner notes provided-just song titles.

Anybody interested in a trade for another West Coast jazz cd from the 50s-early 60s?

Appears to be one track from each of the 12 Cds in the Series...

I also found that sampler quite cheap at a local store a few years ago. I really like it. I've slowly found more of the WCC albums over time, but there are still a few I don't have... but then, I like it just to play as an anthology once in a while.