Sandusky Investigation Findings

penn state has announced that the sandusky pension has been revoked.

StateCollege.com reports that Penn State has revoked most of the retirement package given to convicted child sex abuser Jerry Sandusky in 1999. But the school does not plan to recover a $168,000 lump sum paid to Sandusky.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paterno family statement re. conducting their own investigation (!!!) because they will not accept Freeh's findings:

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/16/3262663/members-of-joe-paterno-family.html

Not surprized.

The eldest son, I believe, has been the one taking interviews and the like.

Seldom does he refer to the late coach as 'my father' or 'Dad' but you do hear him talk about "JOE" as the main reference.

It's kind of creepy to me...

I think I understand some of the passion to keep the old man's name clean(er), but I gotta say that any glory they can still attach or keep associated with the name absolutely translates into $$$$ for the surviving family members, and the possibilities of football jobs for the sons as time transpires and the dust and smoke eventually clears.

Edited by Mike Schwartz

penn state has announced that the sandusky pension has been revoked.

StateCollege.com reports that Penn State has revoked most of the retirement package given to convicted child sex abuser Jerry Sandusky in 1999. But the school does not plan to recover a $168,000 lump sum paid to Sandusky.

That's a relief, and surely was offensive to everyone when it became common knowledge.

If any or all the 168K came during the time frame connected to the dates indicated with the crime period he was convicted of, it would be fair game, IMO, to take it back.

The 3 meals and a bed he's now receiving are quite enough.

Seldom does he refer to the late coach as 'my father' or 'Dad' but you do hear him talk about "JOE" as the main reference.

I thought so, too.

I can understand a person defending their father, but he kept referring to all this as "one small part" of his father's (er, Joe's) life.

It seems as though he is still a long ways away from facing the fact that this was a colossal failure by his father, for whatever reason (selfishness, putting football or his own career ahead of the lives of children, etc.), with tragic consequences.

As you know, I agree with JETman that college athletics are out of whack. In fact, I think that many universities are out of whack in other areas besides athletics.

But I am troubled by one aspect of what we are talking about. None of these people have been put on trial except Sandusky. Louis Freeh is the cop, judge and jury of his report. I thought that we didn't do that in this country.

I suspect that everything in Freeh's report is true. But I see on the internet a hang 'em high mentality before any of these people have had the opportunity to respond to specific accusations and present their sides of the story.

I hope that all of them are brought to (criminal) trial. I also would like to learn what if anything the local police knew and failed to act upon.

But I am troubled by one aspect of what we are talking about. None of these people have been put on trial except Sandusky. Louis Freeh is the cop, judge and jury of his report. I thought that we didn't do that in this country.

I suspect that everything in Freeh's report is true. But I see on the internet a hang 'em high mentality before any of these people have had the opportunity to respond to specific accusations and present their sides of the story.

I hope that all of them are brought to (criminal) trial. I also would like to learn what if anything the local police knew and failed to act upon.

Freeh's report was an independent report that PSU paid him for. It is his findings, given back to the school. Why shouldn't it say what he found out? I don't think he jumped to any conclusions, and based his findings on documented information in Penn State's possession, as I understand it.

By all accounts, everybody else is free to do their own investigation, as Paterno's family has already stated they aren't accepting Freeh's report as the final word.

As you know, I agree with JETman that college athletics are out of whack. In fact, I think that many universities are out of whack in other areas besides athletics.

I suspect that people *will* go on trial after the state grand jury announces its findings - though who knows when that will be.

there is talk of a federal grand jury investigation as well, though I don't think any media sources ahve confirmed that as yet.

Edited by seeline

Probably has something to do with his job on the PSU football coaching staff.

aloc, we keep cross-posting.

Where I steadfastly agree with this, I also must state that as a person who waited until the Freeh investigation was done, I saw evidence that Paterno was, in fact, a part of the hush-hush, wink-and-a-nod silencing of the facts. Which, in direct correlation, enables Sandusky to continue abusing kids.

I, too, would like to know why the authorities didn't nail Sandusky back in 1998. I'm willing to bet the ranch Shultz and Curley had plenty to do with that one.

The only thing I believe the Freeh report stretched the limits of fact finding is the statement of Sandusky being in the office a few steps away from Paterno's office. The supposition was he could have confronted him. That's not evidence, it's opinion. It is too easy to say a person should do this or that unless they have had to do it themselves. That doesn't excuse Paterno for his inaction, but it is not an easy thing to do by any stretch of the imagination.

Nevertheless, the old adage holds true here: If there is that much smoke there has to be a fire. Paterno was, indeed, part of the cover up. To what degree will be discovered in the eventual trials of Schultz and Curley, I am certain.

Edited by GoodSpeak

"NCAA president Mark Emmert said he is not ruling out the death penalty for Penn State over the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal, adding he's "never seen anything as egregious as this in terms of just overall conduct and behavior inside a university.""

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/sbb-live

This is egregious, no doubt....but that would be punishing the wrong people.

It seems to me, since Curley and Schultz are not strictly football overseers, the NCAA should give the entire Penn State sports program the death penalty if that's how they feel about it.

Why stop there? Maybe the NCAA should punish any team which has played against Penn State. Punish all coaching friends of Paterno, as well. Hell, let's nail that stupid Nitany Lion mascot too, while we're at it.

Here's to the NCAA looking through the wrong end of the telescope.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Paterno family still doesn't get it

"Now that Joe is dead and isn't here to speak for himself, the family is essentially planning to construct its own competing version of an "official" history to stand alongside the 267-page report that Penn State commissioned from former FBI director Louis Freeh, a man who supposedly knows how to construct conclusions that will withstand the harshest scrutiny for any hint of prejudice, malice or factual mistakes, a man whose investigation unearthed disconcerting documents that hadn't been presented by prosecutors before now.

This is an act of stubbornness and defiance by the Paterno family...."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8171490/paternos-review-freeh-report-unneeded

Earlier, I couldn't exactly put my finger on precisely why Jay Paterno's media interviews and the family's continued defense of the departed patriarch bothered me so much.

This sums things up perfectly as far as i'm concerned.

Edited by Mike Schwartz

Yesterday a plane towing a banner that read "Take it down or we will" flew over the campus and town.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/07/plane_flying_around_penn_state.html

Today I spoke with someone who told me that they have talked with several people who would willingly start a riot (literally) if the Paterno shrine is dismantled.

Sadly - given the riot last November, plus the riot in the spring of last year after the news of Osama Bin Laden's death was broadcast, i fear that the place is a powder keg and that rioting is a very real possibility.

It all makes me feel sick. Penn State has some excellent academic and research programs, but the way people are taking the Freeh report is really *not* good. I'm sure plenty of Paterno's supporters are adamant about the family going through with their "investigation." (What a sick joke!)

"The decision whether to remove or move the Joe Paterno statue from outside of Beaver Stadium is expected to be made by Penn State president Rodney Erickson within 72 hours, a source familiar with Erickson's plans...."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8184260/joe-paterno-statue-call-made-penn-state-nittany-lions-president