March RVGs: Upgrade or not?

connoisseur series500

Chris has listed the RVGs due out in early March in "Blue Note Reissues."

What we're looking for here is not your general philosophy regarding upgrading, but the preference would be a modest analysis of the sound quality of the cds which are to be remastered.

I'm in the process of going through the ones I have.

I've been listening to Donald Byrd, AT THE HALF NOTE CAFE, VOLUMES 1 & 2, and I see nothing wrong with the sound quality. I can hear the instruments fine, even the bass. This strikes me as good sound quality for a live session. What is there to "upgrade?"

Let us know your thoughts on this as well as some of the others. I will add comments as I listen to some of my others.

So far, I'm keeping my old version of HALF NOTE.

You also might want to state your general philosophy regarding upgrading. Mine: I upgrade a lot but not always.

I guess it depends on the quality of the upgrade. Many of the RVGs are significantly better than the "originals" on CD. In those cases, I have upgraded to the new release. These forums are definitely a good source of finding out how good the reissue is.

I like the "Half Note" set myself, but if the new version is significantly cleaner (or has additional tracks) then I will be picking it up for sure.

"Half Note" has been reissued in the mid 90's, when the CD transfers had already improved a lot over the first Blue Note CDs. Not so much a question of technology, but of knowledge and experience.

I think that there may more likely be an improvement on the other sessions released on CD in the late 80's: Conquistador, Free Form, Ready for Freddie, The Cape Verdean Blues. The latter sounds rather dull and undynamic on the current CD (from 1989).

Speaking of the Byrd Half Note issue from the mid-90's, I recently got that one and thought that it was a very fine sounding live recording. Hard to imagine it being significantly improved upon. Of course, if it were to be much better sounding, then that would be very impressive...I might be curious to hear it anyway... :rolleyes:

You also might want to state your general philosophy regarding upgrading.

I wouldn't bother with "upgrading" unless it really were in fact an upgrade: vastly better sound quality, new tracks, etc. Buying a new release of a disc that's already been released and bought five times just because of minute sound-quality differences or new artwork seems like obsessive-compulsive disorder, or at least a waste of money that could be spent on albums one doesn't already have. It certainly plays into the hands of the record labels, who undoubtedly laugh all the way to the bank. I love a lot of old (and new) BN sessions, but I'm sure as hell no uncritical fanatic.

Even though I am not a fan of RVGs, it is the case that early BN CDs are usually of limited quality. I think your best guide is your ears (and of course your system is a factor). If you LIKE RVGs and if you think by comparison with RVGs you have that the existing versions sound bad, then of course, upgrade. If you are basically satisfied stay with what you have. it may be that you arn't satisfied but don't really want to have to upgrade. Well this is a choice too! If it isn't important enough to you, it is not a priority, full stop. These RVGs will be available for several years, I believe, so there may be no hurry.

Continuing with specifics:

The sound quality of Horace Silver, CAPE VERDEAN BLUES is not the best. I'll probably upgrade that one.

Can barely hear the cymbal work on Jimmy Smith, PRAYER MEETING. That's another candidate for upgrading.

These three sound fine:

Duke Pearson, SWEET HONEY BEE

Jackie Mclea, RIGHT NOW

Donald Byrd, LIVE AT THE HALF NOTE

Still have to listen to Freddie Hubbard...

Edited by connoisseur series500

BTW, what is that online place with free shipping? I think it's CD UNIVERSE. I've got so many online places saved in "favorites" that I cannot distinguish between them all. I think you can preorder RVGs there as well.

Lots of places offer some sort of free shipping deal, either flat out or if you order $25 or whatever of merchandise: Amazon.com, bn.com (Barnes & Noble), Buy.com, etc.

I checked my "Reddie for Freddy" (Conn series) and it was remastered by Rudy Van Gelder in 1995. Was that a bad recording?

I'll listen to it closely, but could use opinions.

I think the Conn was remastered by someone else, his name escapes my mind right now... but from what I can remember Rudy did not remaster CDs for BN back then. However, I think the Conn sounds very fine; never understood the criticism this particular remaster got from some back at the BNBB.

The Rare Groove CD issue of 'Sweet Honey Bee' however, taken from vinyl as it is, sounds muddy to me. I believe some noise-cancelling device is partly to blame for this. I think the mid 90s Japanese TOCJ of this title sounds much better. Still from vinyl from what I can tell (as the new RVG, too; remember Kevin B asking for mint LP copies? Unfortunately I was on vacation then - I've played my Liberty LP only twice since breaking the seal) but much better done.

BTW, what is that online place with free shipping? 

I'll say what Morganized has been saying.

If you're willing to order $99 worth of music (including books or DVDs too) to get the free shipping, then alldirect is the way to go. RVGs go for $7.99 and Conns go for $11.88.

Sorry to say they apparently don't accept international orders.

The 50% off (or even 60% off) with no s/h isn't always the best sale for single discs.

I just ordered about 10-11 discs from BMG, using the current offer I had, which is Buy 1 get 2 free, then get unlimited for $2.99. Also, I had a code for 10% off all orders (before s/h), which makes my per-disc cost under $6.00 per disc, delivered. The one disc I paid full price for is the newest Steely Dan disc, that includes the DVD with it. The rest are either the most recent RVGs that they have or some of the newest Blue Notes - Martino, Valdes, Cassandra, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

While it's not truly horrible, I've never been enamored with the sound on the Conn of READY FOR FREDDIE, galling to me since it's my favorite of Hubbard's releases from the era. Boomy and muddy. I'm hoping the RVG will remedy that.

I make no apologies for upgrading. Personally, it's not a problem for me - kind of brings back a bit of the "new discovery" of old favorite sessions when the sound is improved, even if only a little. When I'm not interested enough in the title, well then, I just don't upgrade. What's the big deal?

While it's not truly horrible, I've never been enamored with the sound on the Conn of READY FOR FREDDIE, galling to me since it's my favorite of Hubbard's releases from the era. Boomy and muddy. I'm hoping the RVG will remedy that.

I make no apologies for upgrading. Personally, it's not a problem for me - kind of brings back a bit of the "new discovery" of old favorite sessions when the sound is improved, even if only a little. When I'm not interested enough in the title, well then, I just don't upgrade. What's the big deal?

Hmm, I still have to check out my Conn version to decide whether the upgrade is necessary or not. I guess this may have answered it for me.

Seems like that's going to be a hot RVG.