Self-deprecating Jewish Humor: Ill Effects?

Your failure in this regard is something I find slightly troublesome. I shall be following your 'contributions' with a keen eye henceforth sir. If you are wise you will take heed of this - entirely warranted - scrutiny, as being of potential great benefit to both yourself, and your fellow members of this fine site.

Really? How so?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your failure in this regard is something I find slightly troublesome. I shall be following your 'contributions' with a keen eye henceforth sir. If you are wise you will take heed of this - entirely warranted - scrutiny, as being of potential great benefit to both yourself, and your fellow members of this fine site.

Really? How so?

On a recent thread certain features of the contributions of the gentleman in question struck me most forcefully. I surely need not explain my motives further, nor indeed elucidate their potential benefit to all in the unlikely event that my kind offer is accepted - a glad prospect, but one for which I hold out little hope, alas.

Edited by Valeria Victrix

Valeria -- please heed this:

Although he had used other drugs in the past, including weed and heroin, it was the first time Boy George had taken acid. Compared to other drugs he had taken, there is a long delay between taking LSD and the drug taking effect -- typically up to an hour. George got bored waiting after taking the first tab, and took a second dose, so the trip was very intense.

George and his friends headed to a club. After a bout of paranoia about the police presence outside, and upsetting another celebrity, George felt he had lost control of his body. The visual hallucinations made it feel like "everything was breathing and coming at me. I started shrinking and feeling scared. We had to leave."

He then alienated most of his companions, who left him alone with celebrity pal, Marilyn. By then, George had lost control of his bodily functions. "I was tripping so badly I couldn't get myself to the toilet. Marilyn led me to the loo in hysterics and left me staring at the bowl. I caught my melting face in the mirror and started to freak. 'I can't go, I can't' [then] I pissed myself."

There was a short series on BBC3 or 4 end of last year - "Old Jews Telling Jokes" - which was a part of a celebration of American culture (below) - it's rare to get actual jokes on tv. The thing is, to me at least the idea of 'Jewish' humour has a New York accent (no doubt due to the high profile imports like Woody Allen, Joan Rivers and that other fellow who's name has escaped me :unsure: - the deadpan guy...*) however the list of British comics who are Jewish is pretty extensive and varied - Stephen Fry, Ben Elton, Freddie Starr, Paul Kaye, Peter Sellers, Matt Lucas, the Winters brothers - which kind of begs the question not of a Jewish style but just how it is that so many become comedians, or maybe this is an illusion.

*Jackie Mason - when I was small I used to think that all Jewish comedians spoke like him, until I went to NY and realised that lots of people there speak like it - I remember a man on the subway saying to me "your glove fell" when I dropped my glove. Sounds insignificant, but to me this was very noteworthy. In the UK it would be "'scuse me, I think you've dropped your glove" - less direct but more accusatory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP2cxIkPT1s

Edited by cih

There was a short series on BBC3 or 4 end of last year - "Old Jews Telling Jokes" - which was a part of a celebration of American culture (below) - it's rare to get actual jokes on tv. The thing is, to me at least the idea of 'Jewish' humour has a New York accent (no doubt due to the high profile imports like Woody Allen, Joan Rivers and that other fellow who's name has escaped me :unsure: - the deadpan guy...*) however the list of British comics who are Jewish is pretty extensive and varied - Stephen Fry, Ben Elton, Freddie Starr, Paul Kaye, Peter Sellers, Matt Lucas, the Winters brothers - which kind of begs the question not of a Jewish style but just how it is that so many become comedians, or maybe this is an illusion.

*Jackie Mason - when I was small I used to think that all Jewish comedians spoke like him, until I went to NY and realised that lots of people there speak like it - I remember a man on the subway saying to me "your glove fell" when I dropped my glove. Sounds insignificant, but to me this was very noteworthy. In the UK it would be "'scuse me, I think you've dropped your glove" - less direct but more accusatory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP2cxIkPT1s

I didn't think Stephen Fry grew up in a Jewish family culture. By far to me he is a continuum of the English Public/University culture.

My link

Ben Elton on the other hand I took for Jewish culturally. But it appears some opinions differ.

My link

Valeria -- From now on we all shall be following your 'contributions' with a keen eye.

I shall endeavour to provide satisfaction. Might I venture to add - in all humility and sincerity - that I trust you shall not find it a surpassingly onerous, nor indeed an intolerably odious duty?

Sounds like an introduction to a doctoral thesis that will prove to be onerous and, alas, intolerably odious. Otherwise I venture to add, in all humility, very well written if not surpassingly so.

Valeria -- please heed this:

Although he had used other drugs in the past, including weed and heroin, it was the first time Boy George had taken acid. Compared to other drugs he had taken, there is a long delay between taking LSD and the drug taking effect -- typically up to an hour. George got bored waiting after taking the first tab, and took a second dose, so the trip was very intense.

George and his friends headed to a club. After a bout of paranoia about the police presence outside, and upsetting another celebrity, George felt he had lost control of his body. The visual hallucinations made it feel like "everything was breathing and coming at me. I started shrinking and feeling scared. We had to leave."

He then alienated most of his companions, who left him alone with celebrity pal, Marilyn. By then, George had lost control of his bodily functions. "I was tripping so badly I couldn't get myself to the toilet. Marilyn led me to the loo in hysterics and left me staring at the bowl. I caught my melting face in the mirror and started to freak. 'I can't go, I can't' [then] I pissed myself."

A most amusing - albeit entirely unsolicited - anecdote sir! I profess myself indebted to you for providing me with a mirthful moment in this otherwise dark and naughty world.

Would that I could return the favour in kind, but regrettably the only tales of overindulgence and misdeeds consequent of which I am cognizant involve old Smitty and Smith Major back in the good old days. To wit - I doubt you would find at all amusing the anecdote which relates the dyspeptic aftermath of their swinish gluttony with a pile of buttered crumpets, ill advised quantities of sardines, and a noxious concoction comprising condensed milk and Bovril.

No doubt. But Pete's question went to when he was funny not if.

I should point out that your 'when he was in his prime' post preceded Pete's inquiring as to when had this Russell fellow actually been funny - i.e. my original quibble still stands.Your initial post was ambiguous, and furthermore did not provide a date, so it was sadly lacking even in as regards that aspect of the case.

Bearing this in mind, kindly strive for greater clarity and lucidity in your subsequent posts as I find it both distasteful and tedious having to fritter away several minutes addressing issues such as this.

Now, to recap matters as they stand - in post *128 Pete states that he's never liked Russel's comedy. You then made the argument that in his prime he was much funnier. At a much later point I then pointed out the problem inherent in your post.

Now, all you have to do at this point is reply - 'yes, you are quite right.' Instead you try to absolve yourself, by anachronistic representation of the sequence of events, and hope thereby to get away with what is - on the grand scale of things - really quite a minor transgression on your part, and not one which you should feel embarassed about acknowledging.

Thanks, Mom.

Much ado about nothing.

Do you work for John Beresford Tipton?

Nah.

Toastmasters International.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Thanks for the Jerry Lewis link-which I can't open til sitting at a PC-but at least it righted this thread's (now known as The Wackiest Ship in the Navy) course. Re the last several pages: in the words of Lenny Bruce as Lawrence Wick (Welk) responding to the junkie mumbling 'hip talk' trying to get the gig: 'Vot da hell are yot talking about?'...In other words, 'darling kiss me'... no, wait-in other words I'm a wee bit disappointed in ye, lads...

Thanks for the Jerry Lewis link-which I can't open til sitting at a PC-but at least it righted this thread's (now known as The Wackiest Ship in the Navy) course. Re the last several pages: in the words of Lenny Bruce as Lawrence Wick (Welk) responding to the junkie mumbling 'hip talk' trying to get the gig: 'Vot da hell are yot talking about?'...In other words, 'darling kiss me'... no, wait-in other words I'm a wee bit disappointed in ye, lads...

Actually, I noticed this article first appeared in a contemporary film journal around April. So perhaps it may have been the spark for the Haaretz piece.

"A lot of people say to me, 'Why did you kill Christ?' I dunno, it was one of those parties, got out of hand, you know."

"I won't say ours was a tough school, but we had our own coroner. We used to write essays like: What I'm going to be if I grow up."

"We Jews killed Christ.And if he comes back,we'll kill him again."

Lenny Bruce

Lewis's shtick was never self-deprecating to me (unless you view playing the 'monkey'-his term-w/ Dean as such. He is super cocky and sure of his talent and place in entertainment history. He never did the Woody Allen self-doubt schtick, or Jackie Mason-stye heavy-handed Jew/Gentile bits. Like Red Skelton, Carol Burnett, and Chaplin, he is a physical clown, IMO of genius (he claims as his heir apparent Jim Carrey, and I 2nd that). What clown would be funny w/o a little clumsiness, a little exaggerated nerves, a little shlamzel-like spilling of the soup on the unsuspecting schlemiel-with the audience going apeshit at said schlemiel howling in pain? Lewis is a 80+ year-old professional shlmazel. Long may he reign!

And another article claiming self-deprecating humour as particularly English. And very sexy apparently. As I have claimed self deprecation as a particularly Australian cultural trait, I guess it's an English one as well. Interesting that the article states that self-deprecation does not translate well across some cultures.

My link

Edited by freelancer