Joey DeFrancesco

mrjazzman

Had to go see my favorite jazz organist at Yoshi's, Oakland, on Friday night 8-24-2012. the trio included Larry Coryell replacement Steve Cotter on guitar and the ageing jimmy cobb on drums. It was billed as a tribute to Jimmy Smith and Wes Montgomery but I heard no reference in spoken word or music to either of those giants. Very average, mediocre set. J.D's hold on me may be slipping. Because I'm a selected completist, I finally purchased "40" and "Wonderful! Wonderful! but after tonights very bland performance, I think I'd rather listen to Bill Heid instead, at least for now............

Aging Jimmy Cobb? we know he's up there, but his playing was fine, right? I dig Joey, but I don't think he's had a really great record since "Organic Vibes" and "Live: The Authorized Bootleg". On the former, he was taking more chances, but since then he's kind of staying in a comfortable place within the tradition, nothing wrong with that, but "Organic Vibes" showcased him moving on from the heavy JOS bag. This doesn't matter to me, but the fact that Joey's been using clonewheel organs has put him in hot water as far as a lot of the jazz organ community is concerned, but Joey has ALWAYS played B-3 clones in addition to the real thing on albums like "Reboppin" (the XB-2 on one track) the XB-3 (Live at the Five Spot) now he plays and endorses the Key B Duo organ, he was playing Diversi and Numa for a while too. Because of the history with clonewheels, there were automatic bad reviews of "Wonderful Wonderful!" which I haven't heard yet but it was recorded at RVG's, so Joey most likely played Rudy's C-3.

Edited by CJ Shearn

great info CJ, yes Cobb is still Cobb but I was expecting Coryell and got this guy Cotter because Coryell couldn't make the Friday night set. JD had a nice little trumpet piece and I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad he didn't sing. Somebody needs to tell Joey S T O P S I N G I N G. PLEASE

Excellent show tonight. Coryell was integral to the performance, which might have been the reason for Friday's disappointment for jazzman. All 3 men were in great form and great spirits - as was the sold out crowd.

Highlight: Coryell did a mind-blowing solo rendition of Ravel's Bolero like you've never heard before.

I've found it very difficult to warm to Defrancesco, and I've tried. I have listened to him a lot, and he appears on what for me are seminal guitar/organ recordings, those being John McLaughlin's “After the Rain” and Pat Martino's Live at Yoshi's. There's just something to distancing about his playing. It's like it's all there - but there's nothing there. I feel the same way about Jimmy Smith most of the time too. It's hard to connect to the heart of what they play. I never feel this way about Young, Patterson, Patton, Kynard, Willette, McDuff or virtually any of the other greats.

I've found it very difficult to warm to Defrancesco, and I've tried. I have listened to him a lot, and he appears on what for me are seminal guitar/organ recordings, those being John McLaughlin's “After the Rain” and Pat Martino's Live at Yoshi's. There's just something to distancing about his playing. It's like it's all there - but there's nothing there. I feel the same way about Jimmy Smith most of the time too. It's hard to connect to the heart of what they play. I never feel this way about Young, Patterson, Patton, Kynard, Willette, McDuff or virtually any of the other greats.

With you all the way. Personally, I've always thought that JDF got too much, too soon, and never really got his own thing together because everyone thought that he was doing it right. He's kind of a soul jazz version of Wynton Marsalis. I'll listen to him, but mainly when there's someone I like with him.

MG

With you all the way. Personally, I've always thought that JDF got too much, too soon, and never really got his own thing together because everyone thought that he was doing it right. He's kind of a soul jazz version of Wynton Marsalis. I'll listen to him, but mainly when there's someone I like with him.

MG

BINGO!

I find the two B-3ers that Abercrombie has played with --- Dan Wall and Jeff Palmer --- to be much more interesting.

MG

BINGO!

I find the two B-3ers that Abercrombie has played with --- Dan Wall and Jeff Palmer --- to be much more interesting.

Abercrombie has also recorded with Dr Lonnie Smith and Johnny 'Hammond' Smith. The stuff with Dr L is two CDs on Venus in which he imitates Jimi Hendrix. Not keen on those except sometimes, but the JHS album, 'Nasty' is one of JHS' best. And both Dr L and JH are MUCH more interesting organists than JDF.

MG

I like Joey very much as an in the tradition player, but I think his records have been inconsistent lately. If I wanna go outside his realm listen to Dr. Lonnie, Larry Young or Larry Goldings. I got my dad into Joey recently as we've always loved Jimmy Smith. JohnS, is that a legit DVD? I have the live album of that group, very good disc.

Edited by CJ Shearn

I like Joey very much as an in the tradition player, but I think his records have been inconsistent lately. If I wanna go outside his realm listen to Dr. Lonnie, Larry Young or Larry Goldings. I got my dad into Joey recently as we've always loved Jimmy Smith. JohnS, is that a legit DVD? I have the live album of that group, very good disc.

The dvd is a recording of a European Jazz Festival tv broadcast.

With you all the way. Personally, I've always thought that JDF got too much, too soon, and never really got his own thing together because everyone thought that he was doing it right. He's kind of a soul jazz version of Wynton Marsalis. I'll listen to him, but mainly when there's someone I like with him. Thanks Supa Groover..........

MG

BINGO!

Seems like everytime I visit this site, I discover new(to me)talent. This time it's Jeff Palmer, and I think he writes most of the cuts on his cd's. Thanks JETman. Am I the only one here who likes Bill Heid as a Joey D alternative??????

Edited by mrjazzman

When Joey arrived on the market, he had everything, the technical abilities, the power, the sound, the repertoire...he was the super-organist of the time, the archetype, the new Jimmy Smith. And he went on like that, with the support of his many fans (including myself) to build up a successful career taking him in the 4 corners of the world.

So what's wrong with him..? Nothing with the musician, talented as he is, but in my view, with the repertoire. For several years, I feel the material released in his CD's is rather on the weak side : nice and enjoyable during the first listenings and then gradually vanishing...no strong melodic themes, no surprising chords, no audacity in the harmonies...but extremely well played and clean. But boring after repeated listenings.

I'd expect that is the reason why people have either one or two of JDF's CDs or then the complete collection : I have most of them, except the last 6 or 8 ones. Maybe this album with Coryell and Cobb is back to his previous standards...or maybe just one more running from the mill. We'll see.

Edited by michel devos

• 8 months later...