Recommend me a box set

Face of the Bass

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one that is non-jazz and recent.

Ray Charles - Singular Genius: The Complete ABC Singles

Very good set. Now out of print (very quickly went from released to out of print, the estate dropped its deal with Concord). . . not easy to find.

Quickly? blick of a freaking eye!

I missed it originally, too, but I just found a copy for $60 (including tax and shipping) on J&R! They claim it's in stock (still), so if you missed it and are kicking yourself...

Very good set. Now out of print (very quickly went from released to out of print, the estate dropped its deal with Concord). . . not easy to find.

I missed it originally, too, but I just found a copy for $60 (including tax and shipping) on J&R! They claim it's in stock (still), so if you missed it and are kicking yourself...

And it's darn great! I gave it a listen now, almost finished it in one sitting, couldn't stop (only sleep made me, somewhere into the fifth disc, past 3 a.m.)

Tried ordering this from J&R a few weeks ago...only to be told that it was no longer available. :( Disappointing to see that they're still listing it as being in stock.

I had the same experience with J&R when I ordered this set from them last month, after Amazon cancelled my earlier order and the set had disappeared everywhere else. At the time J&R had it listed for about $45. I wouldn't bank on them fulfilling any orders and am likewise wondering why they're still showing it as available.

So, having jettisoned a few box sets from my shelves, I have a bit of cash to play with to pick up something new. And I'd like to get input.

Here's where my tastes incline these days:

a.) Not Free Jazz and (for the most part) not Hard Bop. I have plenty of that stuff. I'm mainly looking at music from the 1930s through the 1950s.

b.) Something rooted in African American forms of expression. The closer the music gets to the black churches the better.

c.) Something historically significant, that tells an important chapter in the history of jazz music, regardless of its intrinsic quality.

d.) Something thoroughly enjoyable to listen to.

I've been looking off and on at the following sets:

From Mosaic: the recent Coleman Hawkins set, the big Duke Ellington box from the 1930s, the Dizzy Gillespie box

Not from Mosaic: the Complete Charlie Parker on Verve, the Complete Jazz at the Philharmonic

The thing that has paralyzed me and prevented me from going for any of the above sets is the following:

a.) Coleman Hawkins--Slight aversion to big band music, too many vocalists

b.) Duke Ellington box--See above.

c.) Dizzy Gillespie box--A step below his most important music. Too much of an Afro-Cuban vibe that I've never found entirely compelling.

d.) Complete Charlie Parker on Verve--Also a step below his most important music. Too many alternate takes of the same thing.

e.) Complete Jazz at the Philharmonic--Too repetitious and formulaic.

What attracts me to each of those boxes:

a.) Coleman Hawkins--bridges the gap from swing to bebop, major influence on his instrument

b.) Duke Ellington--It's Duke f***ing Ellington.

c.) Dizzy Gillespie--Hearing music that bridges different styles, plus I don't own much Gillespie.

d.) Complete Charlie Parker on Verve--Really a basic feeling that I should have this material, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the Savoy & Dial recordings.

e.) Complete Jazz at the Philharmonic--Even if it is formulaic and repetitious, amazing musicians playing together and burning like crazy. A desire to hear major talent showing off and not apologizing for it. The musical equivalent of a slam dunk contest.

Any feedback welcome.

Thelonious Monk - The Complete Riverside Recordings. 15 CDs from $65 on Amazon. Essential. Puzzled how this failed a mention. Would seem to hit all of the requirements noted above (a-d).

Edited by Delightfulee

F all that. You NEED this:

Fire in My Bones

That's been on my short list to get for over a year now...

How about a compilation box set? I recommend the "Goodbye Babylon" box on Dust to Digital.

I have these as well, and second the rec...

Adam, buy that set. It's a stunning set, well compiled and researched. The second set is good too, but not as good as the first.

Also, this:

61Q5KbqqvdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Fire in My Bones has arrived, and disc 1 so far is all that it's been cracked up to be. Funny, that Nuggets of Gospel box has also been on my list for a year or two.

• 1 month later...

If anyone is still looking for "Singular Genius" and prepared to pay 60 Swiss Franks (64 US$ or 50€) plus shipping*, let me know by writing a PM tonight or tomorrow (by latest at noon US time) and I'll grab the copy that's at the shop where I got mine!

*) shipping estimate ... just weighed mine plus some old amazon box and it's around 500 grams, which makes a big price difference, I'm afraid - rates are:

to 500 g / Europe: CHF 15.50 (economy) or 20 (priority) / overseas: CHF 18 (eco) or 26 (prio)

over 500 g / Europe: CHF 18.50 (eco) or 26 (prio) / overseas: CHF 24 (eco) or 36 (prio)

I can do my best to pack it that it's below 500g but can't really promise anything ... but I guess it gets to expensive for US anyway. And in my experience economy shipping within Europe is fine (takes ca. 2 weeks usually) - I'm quite sure these rates are up to date. Compared to the few new copies up on amazon, that's quite okay a price, I think (not sure it will be sealed, CDs often aren'tt over here, but I can of course check and get it only in case it's in perfect shape - I will not guarantee that it arrives in such, though, but I will do my best to pack it nicely, though that will probably mean it goes over 500g., adding some bubbly stuff etc.).

I'd take a Mosaic or amazon gift certificate in ways of payment.

So, if anyone's interested, let me know! (can make it to that shop tomorrow, if not, only in two weeks again - but I guess chances are that it will still be there by then - not sure where they got another one from anyway, )