Recommend me a box set

Face of the Bass

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean where am I getting the black church out of Hawkins, or why am I interested in the black church?

The former.

Yeah, I guess it doesn't meet that criteria as well as some of the other sets. But it hits the time period I'm after and I don't think there's any question whatsoever that it is historically significant material.

F all that. You NEED this:

Fire in My Bones

That's been on my short list to get for over a year now...

How about a compilation box set? I recommend the "Goodbye Babylon" box on Dust to Digital.

Alternatively, I have the first two four-disc sets in this excellent "History of Rhythm and Blues" series (spanning 1925 to 1952, they are highly enjoyable: http://www.rhythmand...uk/history.htm. They span quite a wide range of styles including country blues, gospel and jazz. They are well sequenced for an enjoyable listen all the way through.

I have these as well, and second the rec...

Another one that is non-jazz and recent.

Ray Charles - Singular Genius: The Complete ABC Singles

Very good set. Now out of print (very quickly went from released to out of print, the estate dropped its deal with Concord). . . not easy to find.

I didn't know about this. I am glad I got my copy when I did.

Really outside the box. Duplicate puns intended in that.

Blue Notes - The Ogun Collection

Very good set. Now out of print (very quickly went from released to out of print, the estate dropped its deal with Concord). . . not easy to find.

Damn! Had no idea! Seems impossible to find, what a pity!

(All these "estates" ought to be shut down!)

Fire in My Bones

That's been on my short list to get for over a year now...

How about a compilation box set? I recommend the "Goodbye Babylon" box on Dust to Digital.

Alternatively, I have the first two four-disc sets in this excellent "History of Rhythm and Blues" series (spanning 1925 to 1952, they are highly enjoyable: http://www.rhythmand...uk/history.htm. They span quite a wide range of styles including country blues, gospel and jazz. They are well sequenced for an enjoyable listen all the way through.

I have these as well, and second the rec...

Adam, buy that set. It's a stunning set, well compiled and researched. The second set is good too, but not as good as the first.

Also, this:

61Q5KbqqvdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by Stefan Wood

The Hawk set is an incredible (and incredibly engrossing) collection

Seconded, it's an amazing set with relatively excellent sound. It thrashes all other Hawkins collections.

Hans, there was a boxset that came out on Affinity called "The Complete Recordings 1929/1941".

Affinity Boxset

Do you happen to know how it compares with the JSP set in completeness & sound?

Edited by Head Man

Fire in My Bones

Oh, that looks very interesting. Thanks for posting that, Stefan.

Crikey! Glad I got it quickly!

MG

Damn! Had no idea! Seems impossible to find, what a pity!

(All these "estates" ought to be shut down!)

Struck lucky ... or rather tried my luck and went to see if the local disgusting used-to-be-discounter (the strategy of these darn chains is to be discounter until all others are closed down, and then the prices go up to regular crazy swiss level) still had the copy I remembered seing there, months ago ... and yes it was, and a wonderfully presented set this is! Looking forward to exploring the music (of which very, very little shall be familiar, I think).

Fire in My Bones

Had a look, wasn't sure that I NEEDED it, already having some similar musics in various forms, but sure as hell WANTED it, so I ordered it & have been playing it for the last two days, enjoying it very much every step of the way. I can map almost all of it back to some seminal "name" sources, but there's the odd thing here and there that seems so totally local as to be stunningly revelatory, and I say that as somebody who's spent a fair number of Sundays listening to local 15-minuite live broadcasts from local storefront churches where things got quite local, if you know what I mean.

So, yeah. Recommended with no reservations whatsomever.

The reason that compilation begins as early as 1913 is the inclusion of Cantor joseph Rosenblatt's 'El Mole Rachamin (Für Titanik)' - there are a number of other, later songs about the event on the set and the notes mention the way in which our "collective awe" is undiminished even today.. - there's not very much 'black church' on it though

Another good release from Tompkins Square:

TSQ2509_PTWJr.jpg

If this release covers the years 1913-1938, I wonder why they used a picture of the sinking of the Titanic (1912) for the cover... :)

Maybe because they continued to sing about it? They could have even gone up to 2012 and included Bob Dylan's new one. :)

Seconded, it's an amazing set with relatively excellent sound. It thrashes all other Hawkins collections.

Hans, there was a boxset that came out on Affinity called "The Complete Recordings 1929/1941".

Affinity Boxset

Believe it or not, there is not that much overlap between the two sets. The Affinity set releases all known tracks with Coleman Hawkins other than those with Fletcher Henderson during 1929-1941. The Mosaic does not attempt to be comprehensive. Most of the earlier tracks are selected numbers with Fletcher Henderson that have Hawkins solos. None of them are on the Affinity box. The Affinity box includes a number of discs that contain all of Hawkins' European recordings from the 1930s. The Mosaic box contains none of these recordings for copyright reasons. There is a strong overlap on a few discs that contain Hawkins' American 1939-1941 recordings, but the Mosaic also has a good chunk from the later 1940s that is not on the Affinity box. Bottom line: If you like Hawkins and have the Affinity box, you still need the Mosaic. That is even separate from the major improvement in sound quality.

Edited by John L

Affinity Boxset

Believe it or not, there is not that much overlap between the two sets. The Affinity set releases all known tracks with Coleman Hawkins other than those with Fletcher Henderson during 1929-1941. The Mosaic does not attempt to be comprehensive. Most of the earlier tracks are selected numbers with Fletcher Henderson that have Hawkins solos. None of them are on the Affinity box. The Affinity box includes a number of discs that contain all of Hawkins' European recordings from the 1930s. The Mosaic box contains none of these recordings for copyright reasons. There is a strong overlap on a few discs that contain Hawkins' American 1939-1941 recordings, but the Mosaic also has a good chunk from the later 1940s that is not on the Affinity box. Bottom line: If you like Hawkins and have the Affinity box, you still need the Mosaic. That is even separate from the major improvement in sound quality.

Thanks for that, John but it was a comparison between the Affinity and JSP sets that I was after. It's irrelevant now because I decided to buy a copy of the JSP set, anyway, a few days ago and I'm very happy with it. The remastering sounds terrific.