This year's Grammy awards

Kari S

I lost my interest (if I ever even had any) in the Grammies ever since that Puff Diddy-Duddy-Daddy guy won one for his rip-off of Sting's 'Every Breath You Take'.

At least this year there might be a few interesting performances. The rock band Foo Fighters is to perform - of all people - with Chick Corea (!). There's also a performance by Kurt Elling with Santana, and a "funk tribute" featuring Earth Wind & Fire, George Clinton & Parliament and OutKast.

• 2 weeks later...

List of Grammy Award Winners

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: February 8, 2004

Filed at 11:43 p.m. ET

List of winners at Sunday's 46th Annual Grammy Awards:

Album of the Year: ``Speakerboxxx/The Love Below,'' OutKast.

Record of the Year: ``Clocks,'' Coldplay.

Song of the Year: ``Dance With My Father,'' Richard Marx and Luther Vandross (Luther Vandross).

New Artist: Evanescence.

Rock Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocal: ``Disorder in the House,'' Warren Zevon and Bruce Springsteen.

Female Country Vocal Performance: ``Keep on the Sunny Side,'' June Carter Cash.

Female Pop Vocal Performance: ``Beautiful,'' Christina Aguilera.

Male Pop Vocal Performance: ``Cry Me a River,'' Justin Timberlake.

Rap Album: ``Speakerboxxx/The Love Below,'' OutKast.

Pop Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocal: ``Underneath It All,'' No Doubt.

Contemporary R&B Album: ``Dangerously in Love,'' Beyonce.

R&B Song: ``Crazy in Love,'' Shawn Carter, Rich Harrison, Beyonce Knowles and Eugene Record (Beyonce featuring Jay-Z).

R&B Album: ``Dance With My Father,'' Luther Vandross.

Female R&B Vocal Performance: ``Dangerously in Love,'' Beyonce.

Male R&B Vocal Performance: ``Dance With My Father,'' Luther Vandross.

R&B Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocals: ``The Closer I Get to You,'' Beyonce and Luther Vandross.

Traditional R&B Vocal Performance: ``Wonderful,'' Aretha Franklin.

Female Rap Solo Performance: ``Work It,'' Missy Elliott.

Male Rap Solo Performance: ``Lose Yourself,'' Eminem.

Rap Performance by a Duo or Group: ``Shake Ya Tailfeather,'' Nelly, P. Diddy and Murphy Lee.

Rap/Sung Collaboration: ``Crazy in Love,'' Beyonce featuring Jay-Z.

Rap Song: ``Lose Yourself,'' J. Bass, M. Mathers and L. Resto (Eminem).

Urban/Alternative Performance: ``Hey Ya!'' OutKast.

Pop Collaboration With Vocals: ``Whenever I Say Your Name,'' Sting and Mary J. Blige.

Pop Instrumental Performance: ``Marwa Blues,'' George Harrison.

Pop Instrumental Album: ``Mambo Sinuendo,'' Ry Cooder and Manuel Galban.

Pop Vocal Album: ``Justified,'' Justin Timberlake.

Dance Recording: ``Come Into My World,'' Kylie Minogue.

Traditional Pop Vocal Album: ``A Wonderful World,'' Tony Bennett and k.d. lang.

Hard Rock Performance: ``Bring Me to Life,'' Evanescence featuring Paul McCoy.

Metal Performance: ``St. Anger,'' Metallica.

Rock Instrumental Performance: ``Plan B,'' Jeff Beck.

Alternative Music Album: ``Elephant,'' The White Stripes.

Female Rock Vocal Performance: ``Trouble,'' Pink.

Male Rock Vocal Performance: ``Gravedigger,'' Dave Matthews.

Rock Song: ``Seven Nation Army,'' Jack White (The White Stripes).

Rock Album: ``One by One,'' Foo Fighters.

Male Country Vocal Performance: ``Next Big Thing,'' Vince Gill.

Country Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocal: ``A Simple Life,'' Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder.

Country Collaboration With Vocals: ``How's the World Treating You,'' James Taylor and Alison Krauss.

Country Instrumental Performance: ``Cluck Old Hen,'' Alison Krauss and Union Station.

Country Song: ``It's Five O'Clock Somewhere,'' Jim ``Moose'' Brown and Don Rollins (Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffett).

Country Album: ``Livin', Lovin', Losin': Songs of The Louvin Brothers,'' Various Artists.

Bluegrass Album: ``Live,'' Alison Krauss and Union Station.

Short Form Music Video: ``Hurt,'' Johnny Cash.

Long Form Music Video: ``Legend,'' Sam Cooke.

Engineered Album, Classical: ``Obrigado Brazil,'' Richard King and Todd Whitelock, engineers (Yo-Yo Ma).

Producer of the Year, Classical: Steven Epstein.

Classical Album: ``Mahler: Symphony No. 3; Kindertotenlieder,'' Michael Tilson Thomas, conductor; Michelle DeYoung, mezzo soprano.

Orchestral Performance: ``Mahler: Symphony No. 3,'' Pierre Boulez, conductor (Vienna Philharmonic).

Opera Recording: ``Janacek: Jenufa,'' Bernard Haitink, conductor; Jerry Hadley, Karita Mattila, Eva Randova, Anja Silja and Jorma Silvasti; Wolfram Graul, producer.

Choral Performance: ``Sibelius: Cantatas,'' Paavo Jarvi, conductor; Tiia-Ester Loitme and Ants Soots, chorus masters (Ellerhein Girls' Choir & Estonian National Male Choir; Estonian National Symphony Orchestra).

Chamber Music Performance: ``Berg: Lyric Suite,'' Kronos Quartet and Dawn Upshaw, soprano.

Small Ensemble Performance (with or without Conductor): ``Chavez: Suite for Double Quartet,'' Jeff von der Schmidt, conductor; Southwest Chamber Music.

Classical Vocal Performance: ``Schubert: Lieder With Orchestra,'' Thomas Quasthoff, bass-baritone and Anne Sofie von Otter, mezzo soprano.

Classical Contemporary Composition: ``Argento: Casa Guidi,'' Dominick Argento (Frederica von Stade, mezzo soprano; Eiji Oue; Minnesota Orchestra).

Classical Crossover Album: ``Obrigado Brazil,'' Jorge Calandrelli, conductor, Yo-Yo Ma, cello (Various Artists).

Traditional Folk Album: ``Wildwood Flower,'' June Carter Cash.

Contemporary Folk Album: ``The Wind,'' Warren Zevon.

Native American Music Album: ``Flying Free,'' Black Eagle.

Reggae Album: ``Dutty Rock,'' Sean Paul.

Traditional World Music Album: ``Sacred Tibetan Chant,'' The Monks of Sherab Ling Monastery.

Contemporary World Music Album: ``Voz D'Amor,'' Cesaria Evora.

Polka Album: ``Let's Polka 'Round,'' Jimmy Sturr.

Musical Album for Children: ``Bon Appetit!'' Cathy Fink and Marcy Marxer.

Spoken Word Album for Children: ``Prokofiev: Peter and the Wolf/Beintus: Wolf Tracks,'' Bill Clinton, Mikhail Gorbachev and Sophia Loren.

Spoken Word Album: ``Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right (Al Franken),'' Al Franken.

Instrumental Soloist(s) Performance (with Orchestra): ``Britten: Violin Concerto/Walton: Viola Concerto,'' Mstislav Rostropovich, conductor; Maxim Vengerov, violin and viola (London Symphony Orchestra).

Instrumental Soloist Performance (without Orchestra): ``Haydn: Piano Sonatas Nos. 29, 31, 34, 35 and 49,'' Emanuel Ax, piano.

Comedy Album: ``Poodle Hat,'' ``Weird Al'' Yankovic.

Musical Show Album: ``Gypsy.''

Compilation Soundtrack Album for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media: ``Chicago,'' Various Artists.

Score Soundtrack Album for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media: ``The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers,'' Howard Shore, composer.

Song Written for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media: ``A Mighty Wind,'' Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy and Michael McKean, songwriters, track from ``A Mighty Wind.''

Instrumental Composition: ``Sacajawea,'' Wayne Shorter, composer (Wayne Shorter), from ``Alegria.''

Instrumental Arrangement: ``Timbuktu,'' Michael Brecker and Gil Goldstein, arrangers (Michael Brecker Quindectet), from ``Wide Angles.''

Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s): ``Woodstock,'' Vince Mendoza, arranger (Joni Mitchell), from ``Travelogue.''

Recording Package: ``Evolve,'' Ani DiFranco and Brian Grunert, art directors (Ani DiFranco).

Boxed or Special Limited Edition Package: ``The Complete Jack Johnson Sessions,'' Julian Alexander, Howard Fritzson and Seth Rothstein, art directors (Miles Davis).

Album Notes: ``Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues: A Musical Journey,'' Tom Piazza, album notes writer (Various Artists).

Historical Album: ``Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues: A Musical Journey,'' Steve Berkowitz, Alex Gibney, Andy McKaie and Jerry Rappaport, compilation producers.

Remixed Recording, Non-Classical: ``Crazy in Love (Maurice's Soul Mix),'' Maurice Joshua, remixer (Beyonce featuring Jay-Z).

Engineered Album, Non-Classical: ``Hail to the Thief,'' Nigel Godrich and Darrell Thorp, engineers (Radiohead).

Producer of the Year, Non-Classical: The Neptunes.

Latin Pop Album: ``No Es Lo Mismo,'' Alejandro Sanz.

Latin Rock/Alternative Album: ``Cuatro Caminos,'' Cafe Tacuba.

Traditional Tropical Latin Album: ``Buenos Hermanos,'' Ibrahim Ferrer.

Salsa/Merengue Album: ``Regalo Del Alma,'' Celia Cruz.

Mexican/Mexican-American Album: ``Afortunado,'' Joan Sebastian.

Tejano Album: ``Si Me Faltas Tu,'' Jimmy Gonzalez y El Grupo Mazz.

Rock Gospel Album: ``Worldwide,'' Audio Adrenaline.

Pop/Contemporary Gospel Album: ``Worship Again,'' Michael W. Smith.

Southern, Country, or Bluegrass Gospel Album: ``Rise and Shine,'' Randy Travis.

Traditional Soul Gospel Album: ``Go Tell It on the Mountain,'' The Blind Boys of Alabama.

Contemporary Soul Gospel Album: `` ... Again,'' Donnie McClurkin.

Gospel Choir or Chorus Album: ``A Wing and A Prayer,'' The Potter's House Mass Choir.

Traditional Blues Album: ``Blues Singer,'' Buddy Guy.

Contemporary Blues Album: ``Let's Roll,'' Etta James.

New Age Album: ``One Quiet Night,'' Pat Metheny.

Contemporary Jazz Album: ``34th N Lex,'' Randy Brecker.

Jazz Vocal Album: ``A Little Moonlight,'' Dianne Reeves.

Jazz Instrumental Solo: ``Matrix,'' Chick Corea.

Jazz Instrumental Album, Individual or Group: ``Alegria,'' Wayne Shorter.

Large Jazz Ensemble Album: ``Wide Angles,'' Michael Brecker Quindectet.

Latin Jazz Album: ``Live at the Blue Note,'' Michel Camilo with Charles Flores and Horacio ``El Negro'' Hernandez.

i liked the funk tribute, with samuel l jackson presiding.

why won't bootsy and george do a tour together?

i liked the luther vandross tribute, especially ms. keyes and the fact he got a grammy

also that warren zevon won a grammy

don't have any zevon, but i saw his vh1 special

no wonder jay z ain't gotta rap anymore, he's scored beyonce. go on playa

i thought fiftee cent was gonna "take out" miss jones

also the john coltrane award went to sonny rollins

I have seen many poorly produced Grammy shows, but I think this one might be the worst, so far. They need t get rid of Pierre Cosset as producer. Of course they should also consider featuring quality music--after all, this is supposed to be the cream of the crop.

Last night's show was a mess, dominated by mediocre artists singing blah material, unimaginative production numbers, and embarrassing dips into the past. EW&F was terrible, and I'm not just talking about the sight of these old guys prancing around in costumes that should have remained in their closets. George Clinton? Well, he has been an embarrassment for a few years now. The Chick Corea segment was not worthy of him, and Sandoval's thing with the breast-grabber was positively nauseating. The producers seem to like Sandoval, but only when he resorts to cheap, labored blowing.

I watched the whole thing and found it to be a complete waste of time with not a single moment worth repeating.

Anyone agree with me?

George was recently arrested for crack possession, and I've heard some more about it...

I have a friend who worked with George on a project once, and he said George was cracked out the whole time. At one point during a meeting at his house, George lost a rock on the carpet and spent more than an hour on his hands and knees looking for it.

At the very least, my friend said George was still personable and fun, just hopelessly addicted and surrounded by people who are in no way trying to help him get off crack. :(

i liked the luther vandross tribute, especially ms. keyes and the fact he got a grammy

I still don't get what the big deal is with her. Every time I've seen her perform live (on TV... no way am I paying for concert tickets) she sings out of tune. And her voice sounds weak.

I hate Celine Dion, but at least she sings in tune... in-ear monitors or no. Her material just sucks. That song co-written by Richard Marx that she sang (and he accompanied) was one steaming pile of poo. I've heard better compositions coming from 10 year olds.

I turned it off after the funk segment. I agree that Sandoval's appearance was pretty lame. I kept expecting him to blow some shit over that groove (it was a halfway decent groove compared to everything else) but nope... just a string of high notes. Yippee.

I didn't wait and watch the Chick Corea thing. My wife went to bed so I turned off the TV.

Does one of the Brecker Bros. win a Grammy every year? I already know Metheny does. The academy is nothing but consistent.

I hate to admit it, but the best part about the telecast was mr "wardrobe malfunction" 's performance. <_< Although I deeply despise the man I question, and you could almost read "I desperately want to be black, dawg" on his Rhodes ;), you gotta give it to the man for trying to be soulful. Well, actually the props should go to the Neptunes who've composed and produced that track he performed. It's...uhm...dope! Dig that chord progression and melody - you don't hear those on every other pop or r&b song.

The Corea thing could've been something great, turned out to be just the same radio rock number with an old man tinkling with his piano on the side.

I usually watch the Grammys and try not to knock them too much since they are what they are, but I'm betting that I have one of the best jazz-related excuses for missing them last night... since I was instead seeing Sam Rivers' amazing trio performing in L.A. B)

The Funk medley was just OK. Could have been MUCH better. Looked very unrehearsed. I though the Sandoval/Timberlake number was awful. Nothing of any musical substance there. Just a lot of hot air and posing.

The final Outkast performance (Hey Ya) before they won Album of the Year was the only performance worth mentioning. It was really good and a lot of fun IMHO.

Timberlake and Aguilera win Grammys?? Something is horribly wrong here.

For all the talk about the Grammys 'getting back to the music', this was one of the worst years in recent memory. It always sucks when its in LA. Keep it in NYC!!!

Edited by Jim Dye

I'm with B3er on Miss Keys. She sang consistently sharp (albeit not a far out as Mary J. Blige usually does), and her voice seemed strained. One thing I will give her is that she was downright understated compared to that ridiculous exhibition of oversinging by Christina Agulera. Sheesh. :tdown

Too bad about George Clinton. I thought he looked old and tired and a bit out of it.

Haven't seen any mention of Robert Randolf and family band. Great energy, and it was nice to see a band in there, although they seemed to be bashing it pretty hard all the way through. Relax into the groove a bit, guys! :)

Edited by Joe G

One of my main problems with singers like Alicia Keys and (especially) Christina is that they need to learn the value of a well-placed melisma. If you put one on every syllable of every word of the song, it completely loses its effect - this, IMHO, is precisely what gives that effect of "oversinging"... the complete inability to endow a song with any sense of storytelling that the greatest singers all have. Although, Christina was able to control it a bit on that song "Beautiful", which (again) IMHO, makes it the best song she's done. (Though that's really not saying much, to these ears)

Haven't seen any mention of Robert Randolf and family band. Great energy, and it was nice to see a band in there, although they seemed to be bashing it pretty hard all the way through. Relax into the groove a bit, guys! :)

I posted about them in the other Grammy thread. That was pretty sick, although I agree with you that they could have settled down a little with no ill effects.