"Hello To The Wind" - anybody got a chart?

Rooster_Ties

I've been listening to this track a bunch recently (the two Hutcherson versions, Woody Shaw's spectacular one, and the Chambers/Young duet version), and I wondered if any other versions of it had ever been recorded. (Some previous dicussion from 2005 HERE, which later in the thread seems to indicate the only other known version is a recent one by Joe Locke, with vocals by Mark Ledford.)

Also, anybody happen to have a chart for this? (Bertrand thinks there may be one in the LOC, but I thought I'd ask here too.)

I've been trying to think of interesting tunes for a really talented alto in our church choir to cover. She sings in Howard's Afro Blue, and here she is singing lead on a cool vocal choir arrangement of Herbie's "Tell Me A Bedtime Story". (There's also a studio recording of them doing "Tell Me A Bedtime Story", track #5 at the bottom of this page.)

Anyway, what's really interesting is THIS version (also with Eugene McDaniels, from 1972?), which I just stumbed across on Youtube.

It really doesn't get going until about 3:18, but you can hear the whole thing in the embedded clip below. What's the story on this one?? It never came up in the previous thread, so I'm guessing it wasn't known around these parts (and I only discovered it by accident on Youtube just today). Any way, here 'tis...

FYI, the Youtube description says: "Trippy, jazzy music from Universal Jones, a group in which Eugene McDaniels played a big part. From 1972."

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 6 months later...

And what's the story on the album with the crazy, previously unknown (to me) version in the Youtube clip posted above??

http://thingsstuffandmusic.blogspot.com/2008/11/universal- (intentionally truncated link)

A nice funky album by Universal Jones who never released a second volume. Released on MGM/Verve in 1972. If you look to the far left on the cover you'll see every beat diggers favourite funk/folk singer Eugene McDaniels, who is a major contributer to this album. Mc D is listed as producer, lead vocalist, writer and acoustic guitar player, Sister Charlotte is the female lead vocalist, Maurice McKinley is on drums, Bob Woos is on guitars and bass, Leon Pendarvis is arranging and conducting the set aswell as playing bass and electric piano. There's additional musicians listed on the back cover.

http://www.discogs.com/Universal-Jones-Universal-Jones-Vol-1/release/3280786

Credits

Eugene McDaniels...left a trail, ya' know?

This si one I didn't know about, though. Thanks for bringing it to light. Gonna be on the lookout for it.

• 2 weeks later...

There is definitely a lead sheet (with lyrics) in the Chambers folder at the Library of Congress. The copyright number is EU224668 (10/15/70).

How useful it is to perform from is TBD. I could ask Joe if he has a more detailed chart if you want to go that route. I asked Woody Shaw son once if the septet arrangement from the Shaw Berlin record could be purchased, and his answer was 'google'.

Bertrand.

• 8 years later...
On 11/4/2012 at 9:36 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

Also, anybody happen to have a chart for this? (Bertrand thinks there may be one in the LOC, but I thought I'd ask here too.)

I know the Hutcherson/McDaniel version of this tune.  May I ask, who backs her up when she sings?  The tune is not very complex; it should be pretty easy to produce a lead sheet by ear. 

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

The tune is not very complex; it should be pretty easy to produce a lead sheet by ear. 

I forget who, where, when, and how — but a few years after I started this thread (eons ago), I did track down a lead-sheet for the tune. I found one online, iirc, but it wasn’t accurate, and somehow got a better one. Seems like decades ago, now.