12 unreleased Jimi Hendrix songs to debut March 5

mjzee

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A new Jimi Hendrix album is coming March 5.

The musician's website says "People, Hell and Angels" contains 12 previously unreleased tracks recorded in 1968 and '69.

Rolling Stone revealed the album cover on its website Wednesday.

Hendrix recorded the songs apart from the Jimi Hendrix Experience as he considered new, experimental directions for his follow-up to "Electric Ladyland." He plays keyboards, percussion and a second guitar on the album.

Source:

http://www.kpic.com/news/entertainment/180456061.html

Jimi was an obsessive musician driven to play and create, and for a good chunk of that time co-owned a studio that he could live in and party in and put down endless hours of music onto tape. That's why there's so much. It's not that they keep "discovering" it, it's out there and 99 percent in the hands of collectors and fans, they're just coming up with ways to market it and finding that there's still a market.

I've collected everything I could of Jimi's with the help of other collectors and if you're a serious fan of his work it's almost all "worthwhile." To me the real "rub" is how much they'll tamper with the tapes. . . .

Edited by jazzbo

Unbelievable how much worthwhile music he recorded in less than four years.

Have you forgotten how many worthwhile albums many jazz musicians recorded YEARLY back in the late 50's/early 60's?

Apples and oranges, unless you are coming from the "jazz is ALWAYS superior to rock" camp.

Jazzbo nails it, but I'd like to see the track listing and find out what exactly is dis?

artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/21/an-album-from-the-hendrix-vault-coming-in-march/

Mojo Man - Ghetto Fighters tune with Jimi Overdubs

Hear My Train A-Coming

Izabella

EarthBlues

Villanova Junction Blues

Crash Landing

Easy Blues

Hey Gypsy Boy

Somewhere - Stephen Stills on bass guitar

Bleeding Heart

Let Me Love You - With Lonnie Youngblood

Inside Out - Early Version of Ezy Ryder

Have you forgotten how many worthwhile albums many jazz musicians recorded YEARLY back in the late 50's/early 60's?

Apples and oranges, unless you are coming from the "jazz is ALWAYS superior to rock" camp.

I am coming from no such camp. Just the camp that the amount of "worthwhile" music being made in such a short period of time is in no way unprecedented, and therefore not unbelievable.

Even more unbelievable is the deeming of "worthwhile" even before the music is heard!

But I've heard pretty much everything else already released, and that alone is impressive.

I am coming from no such camp. Just the camp that the amount of "worthwhile" music being made in such a short period of time is in no way unprecedented, and therefore not unbelievable.

Guess I'd better parse my adjectives more carefully around here in the future :w and yes, it is apples and oranges in some regards.

Even more unbelievable is the deeming of "worthwhile" even before the music is heard!

But I've heard pretty much everything else already released, and that alone is impressive.

Guess I'd better parse my adjectives more carefully around here in the future :w and yes, it is apples and oranges in some regards.

Smarten up your footwork, and stay on your toes :)

I'm surprised there's not been a label called Worthwhile Music...founded by Rodney Linten Worthwhile, of the Cutonian Worthwhiles, Northern America's Most Trusted Source Of Recorded Southern America's Breakdowns, Pool Parties, & Skeet Shoots.

On the subject of Hendrix, I must say - without rancor - that although Jimi Hendrix changed my live forever before I was e'een a teenager, and made "free jazz" where I started from rather than what I tried to get to, I much prefer his finished studio output and various live recordings to almost all of the posthumously released and not quite complete stuff that have come out over the last 40 or so years. Gimme the three Experience albums, Band Of Gypsies, a select live show or five, and I'm set. Those are eternally renewable resources.

I'm surprised there's not been a label called Worthwhile Music...founded by Rodney Linten Worthwhile, of the Cutonian Worthwhiles, Northern America's Most Trusted Source Of Recorded Southern America's Breakdowns, Pool Parties, & Skeet Shoots.

On the subject of Hendrix, I must say - without rancor - that although Jimi Hendrix changed my live forever before I was e'een a teenager, and made "free jazz" where I started from rather than what I tried to get to, I much prefer his finished studio output and various live recordings to almost all of the posthumously released and not quite complete stuff that have come out over the last 40 or so years. Gimme the three Experience albums, Band Of Gypsies, a select live show or five, and I'm set. Those are eternally renewable resources.

They missed a trick here. They could have attached each separate track to the end of the main releases and reissued them in new packaging.

Then, in 18 months, bundled all the albums into a special collectors edition box with even more packaging.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I know what you mean, but some of the live shows are just mind boggling. You do need at least 5 of the best of them. :)

I know what you mean, but some of the live shows are just mind boggling. You do need at least 5 of the best of them. :)

But remember, mind-boggling and Worthwhile (of the Cutonian Worthwhile's) but NOT unbelievable!