But the 5th Dimension was NOT crappy! That was one helluva good song and a GREAT Pop record! Jimmy Webb during that time? Freakin' In The Zone.

But that's not why it won, trust me.

Here - see for yourself, Record Of The Year, year by year, winners and nominees: http://en.wikipedia....ord_of_the_Year

You got your music, then you got your music business (getting the music made) then you got your Music Industry (selling the music that gets made), and then you got your Grammys (celebrating the selling of some of the music that gets made).

Don't get me wrong, I still have an abiding love of Pop Music (it seldom loves me back these days, but it's entitled, as am I), but the last time - literally - that I watched or "cared" about the grammys was 1969. I kid you not.

Point well taken, Jim.

I totally get that the Grammys are a popularity contest. But there again, my concern goes to the marketing and packaging process which bodes well for the sales but not for the quality of music.

I would love to see if there is a single other person on here who thinks Lady GaGa is "a marvelous keyboardist and vocalist".

I don't know if I'd call GaGa "a marvelous keyboardist and vocalist", but I do like some of what I've seen and heard thus far. Rather than merely "ripping off" Madonna's music, I think she's a talented artist who's picked up the torch and carried it further in terms of celebrating diversity. More power to her! :tup

Oh, and one more thing. Given your checkered history on this board, I find it ironic that you should be calling someone else a troll. :wacko:

I say this based upon the streaming video for Clinton's birthday bash last year. She did a couple keyboard solos that were, IMHO, superb. She has the talent but prefers the glitz and glitter over substance. That I find to be sad.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One very important factor is the label. A major label competing against an upstart is far more likely to win, regardless of artistic merit. Same goes for all categories—I know that one of my Grammys should be collecting dust in someone else's dark corner or closet—It came to me because that label read "Columbia."

Katy deserves a Grammy for most spectacular cleavage.

And for nothing else, imo. Her hit records contain some of the most inane lyrics I've heard recently, a view shared by quite a few of my adolescent clients. If there's any truth in advertising left, her inevitable compliation will be entitled, "Katy's Greatest Tits".

One very important factor is the label. A major label competing against an upstart is far more likely to win, regardless of artistic merit. Same goes for all categories—I know that one of my Grammys should be collecting dust in someone else's dark corner or closet—It came to me because that label read "Columbia."

Good point.

Labels bring with them a fair amount of clout.

Apparently, someone here isn't aware of this thing called the Internet...or newspapers.

I always thought the Grammys were a complete joke. Then a couple years ago Arcade Fire's "The Suburbs" won Album of the Year. Did Hell freeze over? Perhaps it's just a stopped clock being right twice a day. (Or in their case, twice a century.)

The Oscars are a close second, IMHO.

Apparently, someone here isn't aware of this thing called the Internet...or newspapers.

I always thought the Grammys were a complete joke. Then a couple years ago Arcade Fire's "The Suburbs" won Album of the Year. Did Hell freeze over? Perhaps it's just a stopped clock being right twice a day. (Or in their case, twice a century.)

1. You started an entire thread about something that went from it made it seem like you actually watched it. Then, it was you didn't even watch it. Your 'Spies" told you about. It's now been downgraded to you not only haven't seen it in years....you're basing it all on the Internet and Newspapers. Just how different is that from what Tea Baggers, Republicans, Religious nut-jobs, or what trolls do?

2. Then, it was @ some point only in your mind the Grammys were actually once about quality.

3. Then, you got JSngry to fall into one of your holes as he pointed out the absurdity of your posts.

4. Now, you're literally agreeing with what JSngry &/and or I were saying about the Grammys and Oscars being a joke when it comes to quality.

Edited by Blue Train

To be fair, though, Pop Culture is only as entertaining as it is because of the built-in absurdity that renders "traditional quality" a (sometimes) welcome but ultimately parallel-at-best consideration.

4149.jpg

I dunno.

Some very nice tunes have come out of Pop music over the years. Your picture, however, lends itself to Pop Culture...not quite the same thing.

The absurdity in Pop Music comes from of the suits' desire to prepackage everything into some nice neat little promotional gimmick to make money off of the clueless minions of the musically illiterate. Trash sells if they put enough make-up on it...and they know it.

Sad.

Edited by GoodSpeak

1. You started an entire thread about something that went from it made it seem like you actually watched it. Then, it was you didn't even watch it. Your 'Spies" told you about. It's now been downgraded to you not only haven't seen it in years....you're basing it all on the Internet and Newspapers. Just how different is that from what Tea Baggers, Republicans, Religious nut-jobs, or what trolls do?

2. Then, it was @ some point only in your mind the Grammys were actually once about quality.

3. Then, you got JSngry to fall into one of your holes as he pointed out the absurdity of your posts.

4. Now, you're literally agreeing with what JSngry &/and or I were saying about the Grammys and Oscars being a joke when it comes to quality.

uh, Louis, it doesn't look like JSngry is the only one to fall into one of those holes again!!!!!!