Fav Jimi Hendrix Songs

Soulstation1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...

I was lucky to hear Jimy Hendrix (with Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell) at the Paris Olympia back in 1967.

Three favorite tunes:

'Rainy Day, Dream Away'

'Castles Made of Sand'

'Little Miss Strange'

But the choice might have been different on another day...

amazing! :excited:

I just played the two first discs of the 4CD Experience box, there are a couple of tracks from the 1966 Paris concert, and some 1967 tracks as well (though I think those are from Stockholm if memory serves me right).

Are there any of those ORTF boots around with complete concerts, or are the selections on the box all we can get?

"One Rainy Wish" from "Axis: Bold as Love". I can't get enough of the part where he sings, "I have never laid eyes on you...Not before this time today..." It never fails to move me.

"Bold As Love." "We're all...bold as love...hear me talkin' to ya..."

"Fire" from "Are You Experienced?"

This is not to say that I don't love tracks from "Electric Ladyland," "Band of Gypsies," "First Rays of the New Rising Sun" ("Angel" is a favorite, as is "Freedom"), etc., but these are the three that I thought of first. And the fact is that "Axis: Bold as Love" is as close as an absolutely perfect album as anybody has gotten. I love it, love it, love it!

I was lucky to hear Jimy Hendrix (with Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell) at the Paris Olympia back in 1967.

Three favorite tunes:

'Rainy Day, Dream Away'

'Castles Made of Sand'

'Little Miss Strange'

But the choice might have been different on another day...

amazing! :excited:

I just played the two first discs of the 4CD Experience box, there are a couple of tracks from the 1966 Paris concert, and some 1967 tracks as well (though I think those are from Stockholm if memory serves me right).

Are there any of those ORTF boots around with complete concerts, or are the selections on the box all we can get?

What's ORTF? There is another box titled 'Stages' that is 4 discs with all concerts that duplicates some of the material on the purple box. It has 1967/Stockholm, 1968/Paris, 1969/San Diego, 1970/Atlanta.

1. Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)

2. Red House

3. Tie: Hey Joe, The Wind Cries Mary

Someone mentioned covers. I'd have to go with Stevie Ray Vaughan's versions of Voodoo Chile and Little Wing. I actually like SRV's version of Little Wing more than I like Hendrix's.

Edited by mikelz777

Clapton & Winwood did a GREAT version of Voodoo Chile on their recent tour. Seeing them do this on PBS convinced me to spend the BIG bucks to see them live in Oakland. Eric "channelling" Jimi was worth the price of admission alone. It didn't hurt that Steve played on the original, too.

• 2 months later...

Just digging into the (purple) four-CD box set of live and alternative takes these days for the first time. Actually this is really my intro to Hendrix -- looks like I have a lot to explore even though he had a short career.

As for the three picks, so far I'd say "Voodoo Child (Slight Return) [Live]," "Little Wing" [live], plus one I've just discovered: "Room Full of Mirrors" (all are on disc 3) Jammin'.....

I was born in 1973 and the more I get into the good stuff from the 1960s and early 1970s the more I realize the music from my generation just sucks in comparison...I mean not all, but for the most part. What happened? I'd like to blame it on KISS, (All about money, marketing and gimmicks instead of musical innovation and talent) but I realize that its probably more complex than that.

Edited by Norm

Listening to Jimi's version of "The Star Spangled Banner" on the Woodstock CD. Damn! Just...damn!

I always thought the guitar orchestra studio version on the box was a good indication of his direction in the studio.

As for Manic Depression, I love the tune, but I've heard mangled so many times at open jams and parties over the years. Great riff tune though.